Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Kade + original controllers  (Read 3728 times)

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2024, 10:30:57 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Kade + original controllers
« on: May 10, 2014, 04:03:37 pm »
I've looked around here and over at the Kade forums for a while now and haven't found a satisfactory answer.  I want to use original controllers with an emulation box.  I'm really liking the Kade concept and would like to use it for this project.  I understand I could hack up the internals of an original controller at the pad level and interface that with the Kade but I don't want to damage original hardware.  Is there a way for Kade to decode the controller signals and output keyboard signals?

I'd love to eventually just build a patch panel with ports for the original controllers to plug into with Kade (probably multiples) converting signals and outputting keycodes to the box.

Is this feasible with the current Kade or even with the Kade+?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 10:19:01 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Kade + original controllers
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 08:26:26 pm »
The short answer is "Nope".  Only the very oldest of gamepads use direct communication, like a 2600 joystick and even they have special needs for things like analog controls ect. 

From the Nes era and beyond, gamepads started using serializer chips (Nintendo) multiplexers (Sega) and eventually full-on serial protocols to communicate with consoles. 

Usb adaptors for most retro controllers can be found for a little as 10 bucks a pop. 

sharpfork

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 10:48:26 pm »
We are working on a significant update to Bruno's retropad adapter: http://www.brunofreitas.com/node/41

We have a few other projects we are working on and life has been busy.  We have had fully functional prototypes since last summer and the functionality you are looking for is nothing less than pure awesomeness.  I'm a Product Owner kind of guy so I'd love to know what you want need it to do.  What kind of I/O are you looking for as far as arcade and console?  What kind of emulation "brains" do you want supported.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 10:54:54 pm »
Worse case scenario I plan to hack a wireless 360 controller and then just wire ALL the retro controllers up in parallel to it.  Then setup the emulators to use the proper inputs from the 360 hack...  Make sense?

johnm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2024, 04:05:20 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 04:30:10 pm »
If you dont mind building your own then check out http://denki.world3.net/retro_v2.html
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:12:31 pm by johnm »

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 05:17:18 pm »

If you dont mind building your own then check out http://denki.world3.net/retro_v2.html,.
You have a comma that breaks the link

http://denki.world3.net/retro_v2.html

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 11:38:41 pm »

If you dont mind building your own then check out http://denki.world3.net/retro_v2.html,.
You have a comma that breaks the link

http://denki.world3.net/retro_v2.html

Thanks for fixing that link mate,  by adding a period to it.  :lol. Works wonders now.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 01:12:39 am »
Question for anybody that has used either the RetroPad or the Retro Adapter.  From reading the website it seems like both devices appear to the OS as a standard USB gamepad.  That's great as that can be config'd in any emulator.  Here's the million dollar question though...  Can the actual controllers be hot-swapped from the device?  or can the DB9/DB15 adapters be multiplexed on each other so that all controllers be left plugged in?

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 02:27:23 am »
I'm pretty sure you'd need to use a dbp switch box for Bruno's retropad.  The adapter plugged in lets the device know how to deal with input.
like this:

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 09:54:54 pm »
I've looked around here and over at the Kade forums for a while now and haven't found a satisfactory answer.  I want to use original controllers with an emulation box.  I'm really liking the Kade concept and would like to use it for this project.  I understand I could hack up the internals of an original controller at the pad level and interface that with the Kade but I don't want to damage original hardware.  Is there a way for Kade to decode the controller signals and output keyboard signals?

I'd love to eventually just build a patch panel with ports for the original controllers to plug into with Kade (probably multiples) converting signals and outputting keycodes to the box.

Is this feasible with the current Kade or even with the Kade+?

what controller do you want to use and what do you want to use it on?

if your serious, hard up for it and getting desperate I am sure I could wire something up  :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:56:26 pm by northerngames »