Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: question about selling my mame cab....  (Read 2060 times)

hulkster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2021, 04:27:59 pm
  • HulkaMAMEia is runnin' wild!
question about selling my mame cab....
« on: December 09, 2003, 06:32:13 pm »
okay, i thought about putting this in the buy/sell/trade section, but im not selling yet, just asking what the best way to go about it is.  i have a mame cab that ive built....well modified from a previous cab http://www.angelfire.com/blog/hulkster081/mame.html  thats the link for pics.  but i was wondering how some of you experienced sellers go about selling these things?  ebay?  byoac message boards?  newspaper?  i mean, are you liable for stuff that gets worn out or if one of the buttons messes up?  please give me advice.  thanks.

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2023, 09:38:52 am
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
Re:question about selling my mame cab....
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 06:39:50 pm »
have a look at this thread

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 08:33:49 pm »
well after reading that, i still dont know all that much.  i mean, my cab isnt based on lusids and its not the greatest, but i thought i could get some cash for it....im wanting to build another one from scratch, and i dont have a truck or anything to haul it to an arcade auction.  so what should i do?

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 09:16:27 pm »
well after reading that, i still dont know all that much.  i mean, my cab isnt based on lusids and its not the greatest, but i thought i could get some cash for it....im wanting to build another one from scratch, and i dont have a truck or anything to haul it to an arcade auction.  so what should i do?

Ebay.
"pick up only"
I sold my other cab without any problem.
Good luck ! :)
However,ya might have to let it go cheap.Some dude offered me $2000 for my wood laminate cab if I shipped it but I couldnt do that so I had to let it go for $1300(local)...no cab for like 2 months after that...

-  :'(
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 09:17:40 pm by SNAAAKE »

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 09:54:18 pm »
define "cheap".....for my cab, can you give me an estimate using the pics on my page?

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 01:42:40 am »
If you can't borrow a truck from anyone to get it to auction, then simply ebay it. Start it out at $1000 the first time. Frankly, it isn't worth that, but you might sell it at that price anyway. You have got to get it listed NOW though. Christmas is coming, that is your best chance to get a good price.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 07:15:27 am »
oh yeah, good call on christmas, ill see what i can do.  thanks for the tips guys.  hopefully i can get a good price for it, and then start building my first instead of modifying another!  

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 07:23:17 am »
Also, seriously make it a 3 day auction the first time around. You DO NOT want to waffle around with a 10 day auction that doesn't sell, and then be forced to relist a 3 day auction that will end on christmas eve.

List it 3 day at $1000, then if it doesn't sell, then relist it 3 day no reserve at $500. Be sure to state that all rom files will be removed (but don't actually do it), and also state that you will personally help set it up in the case of a local sale. It will almost certainly be local anyway, too late to really get freight shipped in time for christmas.

Arcade games are very seasonal when it comes to value. The value of that game is going to drop dramatically the day after christmas, and then drop a bunch more between then and next september (at which point the value will quickly ramp up as christmas approaches again).

Or basically, september to christmas is the only time to sell games, spring and summer are the only time to buy them.

Also, converted Mame cabs also tend to sell for a lot more than home made cabinets. Home made cabinets are much harder to sell because if this person isn't there, then they can't really see what kind of build quality you did (and no offense to anyone, but I have seen some terrible looking homebuilt cabinets that cost some of you guys $1000s to make), and they are harder to sell in person because they CAN see the build job you did.

Anyway, you can never really compete on price building your own vs the guys who convert. The costs are just too high.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 07:35:13 am by paigeoliver »
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 08:12:55 am »
im guessings its illegal to sell the roms with the machine right?  

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 09:48:59 am »

yep, it's illegal to sell roms, but you can give them away without a problem as far as I know...  But as Paige said, make sure you state in your auction that the roms will not be included.  You gotta CYA!  

You seem to have exceeded your bandwidth on your site... here's what I got:

Temporarily Unavailable

The Angelfire site you are trying to reach has been temporarily suspended due to excessive bandwidth consumption.  

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 04:01:12 pm »

Yes, technically, but it is just about always done that way. Plenty of Mame cabinets at every arcade auction, and most small game shops sell them with the roms too now.

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 05:33:54 pm »
hmmm, well i think my machine would be outclassed at an arcade auction.  i think my best bet is to try to sell it locally through the newspaper or through word of mouth or something.  i did some calculations today and the parts alone would run around $785 so theres no way im selling it under that.  but i may try to sell it around here or something...who knows.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 06:12:34 pm »
define "cheap".....for my cab, can you give me an estimate using the pics on my page?

Try $1000.
If not then $800.
Try ebay,I am sure you could find someone local.

Didn't you started building another cab ?
So you probley dont care much about the old one anyway so whatever...
( selling cabs still sucks :( )

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 06:18:09 pm »
yeah well i was going to use the money from my sold cab to build my new cab.  see i dont have a whole lot of money to just throw around.  we'll see i guess.  some things i could probably get cheap like a 27" tv if i looked hard enough (suggestions?)  and some computer components.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 06:29:23 pm »
yeah well i was going to use the money from my sold cab to build my new cab.  see i dont have a whole lot of money to just throw around.  we'll see i guess.  some things i could probably get cheap like a 27" tv if i looked hard enough (suggestions?)  and some computer components.

Look hard enough.I have seen zenith 27" with s-video for $150(local).

I would also try pricewatch for computer parts.
They got motherboard+duron 1.6ghz combo for $72.
so get that.they also got 20gb HD for $34.
You can easyly build the cab for like $800(possibly cheaper).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 06:34:51 pm by SNAAAKE »

hulkster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2003, 06:39:55 pm »
well im wanting to make a 4 player cab, with trackball for golden tee.....nothing too fancy, no spinner or anything like that, no dedicated 4 way, just 4 players with two of the players having 7 buttons, 2 other players having 4 buttons each. the pc, i want to run win2k with a decent mobo/processor and video card and sound card.  and of course the 27" tv with s video.  okay, so what do you think this will run me?  no crazy laminate, or overly expensive crap, just quality for my needs.