Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Re: Nintendo Style Cabaret- Done And In Good Hands  (Read 18143 times)

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
Re: Nintendo Style Cabaret- Done And In Good Hands
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:16:02 am »
So after seeing Minwah's vertical cabaret, the design sat in my head for a few months. lo and behold, as I'm doing some Christmas shopping i noticed that sears had a 2 day sale on a bunch of tools, including a craftsman circular saw for just 29 dollars. They had a high tooth plywood blade for just 8 dollars. I was already at the mall so i headed over to pick it up. There were only two saws left. Paid for it and ran home.

As i was at the mall i remembered seeing a few videos a while back on how to make a quick jig that will allow you to make straight cuts with a circular saw. I had a bit of wood left over from some failed projects so i got to work on making a jig and made one in just a few minutes. I left the saw in my garage for a few days, thinking of what kind of project i could do with it.

While searching for cabaret and other small designs i came across this donkey kong junior cabaret created by a guy on KLOV. I set out to get the dimensions but unfortunately, out of all of the nintendo cabaret owners on KLOV, not one single person was actually willing to help to get accurate dimensions for anything beyond some old posts showing the dimensions of the sides. I'll just have to wing it together.

To add to the confusion, the nintendo cabaret dimensions made by goozer seem to be inaccurate. There few dimensions i could find indicate that the goozer sketchup has some issues. At least he was nice enough to put something up for the community.

After looking at your run of the mill boards at homedepot, i modified the known dimensions in order to accomidate  a 4'x8'x3/4" MDF panel.  I couldn't find any 9/16" ply and 5/8" melamine was only available in white. My dimensions are approximately one inch narrower and one inch less deep than the original. It's also 2 3/4" shorter than the original. I plan on offsetting that by creating a platform for the cab that is slightly higher. It still won't be as high as the original. This is strictly a sit down cab.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 09:22:14 am by 404 »

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Look! I Can Cut (Mostly) Straight Lines!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 05:59:50 pm »
Them is some sexy straight lines.  :applaud:

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 04:30:27 am »
Nice job!  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 05:41:16 am »
But you missed your cut lines by an inch or 3...

• Offline Offline
Re: Donkey Kong Cabaret
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 09:16:33 am »
I thought some folks would might have figured out what it was by now. I just updated the first post with more info.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:20:24 pm by 404 »

• Offline Offline
Re: Nintendo Style Cabaret - Major Issue
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 04:40:47 pm »
My cameraphone pics are coming out even crappier than usual but here is the brunt of todays work. Sides, bottom and part of the back cut and assembled. After i took this pic, i laid out my first coat of primer. I may put woodgrain vinyl on the sides.

Now i have a major issue. From the few pictures of the back that i can gather, the top and the top-most part of the back of the cabinet are interlocked together. The easiest way i can think of doing this would be to cut both the top and back panel at a 60 degree angle. to give me the 120 degree slope i need (i think that's right). Problem is, my cheapo circular saw only cuts 45 degree cuts max. I'm sort of out of ideas on how to tackle this.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:44:38 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Nintendo Style Cabaret
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 04:47:16 pm »
This thread needs more spread eagled nymph milfs

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 05:43:56 pm »
This thread needs more spread eagled nymph milfs

way too soon to worry about marquee ideas.  :laugh:

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 06:24:31 pm »
If you need a 60 degrees bevel then set the cutter to 30 and  when you cut through the end you should be left with a 60 degree bevel the only hard bit is that the saw can only be angled one way usually so you will need to make sure that the wood is in the right orientation before the cutting begins. You could always make the correct pencil line both edges to make it easier. (You may also want a piece of wood the same as you are cutting if you have to cut from the thin edge You will need it or there's nowhere for the saw guide to sit. 

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:48:41 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 07:14:28 pm »
Pic for Drnick's text.   ;D

Scott

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 10:24:43 pm »
Thanks guys but i actually need something along the lines of ~120 degrees.

The side panels of the donkey kong cabaret sketchup model seem accurate (the rest of it mostly is not). I have only seen two or so pics of the backs of these units. It almost seems as if the top has a notch removed from it so that the top half of the back panel slides into it. I already tried that earlier today by setting the depth of my circular saw and going over the area multiple times. That failed miserably.

Upon looking at the sketchup model though, i think there is another solution, cut just one bevel on the bottom panel. Just have to figure out the accurate degree for it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:48:41 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 03:07:36 am »
To make the cut for the back, set the circular saw to 30 degrees, base of the saw on the face to the right of the red arrow.

90 - 60 (angle between vertical and the top) = 30 (angle to set the saw)

Scott
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:48:48 am by PL1 »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 03:32:43 pm »
To make the cut for the back, set the circular saw to 30 degrees, base of the saw on the face to the right of the red arrow.

Scott

I really really really should have taken this advice to heart earlier. I wasted almost all day yesterday trying to come up with some sort of elaborate cut. I ended up just securing the top on and leaving a little bit of the back hanging. Then i simply cut the back panel which i had hacked up about 4 times earlier and then cut a quick 30 degree angle. I have to trim and sand the back bit that i left hanging. Shouldn't be too hard at all. At least it stops me from having to make another disastrous angled cut. I really have to practice that.

It didn't come out perfect but i couldn't afford to cut another panel of wood for it as all i have left over is enough to complete the other two pieces to the back panel. I'll put up some more pics later today of the work so far.

This project is really more for the lawls and to see if i could actually create something. Wasn't really to be taken too seriously but so far this hasn't come out bad at all. The neighbor actually wants one for her kids so I'm seriously contemplating giving it to them. Perhaps make a dedicated fix it felix cabaret for them or simple mame unit.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 07:10:10 pm »
This project is really more for the lawls and to see if i could actually create something. Wasn't really to be taken too seriously but so far this hasn't come out bad at all. The neighbor actually wants one for her kids so I'm seriously contemplating giving it to them. Perhaps make a dedicated fix it felix cabaret for them or simple mame unit.

There's something very fulfilling about making something.  Even something as, what some would call, frivolous as an arcade cabinet.  Even if it doesn't come out as awesome as some of the pieces of art on this forum, it's worth it just to build something.  Even crapMAME cabinets are worth it to their owners!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 03:46:12 am »

Scott

I really really really should have taken this advice to heart earlier. I wasted almost all day yesterday trying to come up with some sort of elaborate cut. I ended up just securing the top on and leaving a little bit of the back hanging. Then i simply cut the back panel which i had hacked up about 4 times earlier and then cut a quick 30 degree angle. I have to trim and sand the back bit that i left hanging. Shouldn't be too hard at all. At least it stops me from having to make another disastrous angled cut. I really have to practice that.

It didn't come out perfect but i couldn't afford to cut another panel of wood for it as all i have left over is enough to complete the other two pieces to the back panel. I'll put up some more pics later today of the work so far.

I have an angle on one of mine where the top and back meet. It didn't work out so well. I spray painted a piece of aluminum flashing, and velcro'd it in place. Looks amazing. I am not suggesting you give up, rather telling you that if it gets messed up there's always SOMETHING you can do about it.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 07:13:19 pm »
There's something very fulfilling about making something.  Even something as, what some would call, frivolous as an arcade cabinet.  Even if it doesn't come out as awesome as some of the pieces of art on this forum, it's worth it just to build something.  Even crapMAME cabinets are worth it to their owners!

No doubt. This isn't a throw away cab IMO by any means but it was done simply to see how far i can take a build using simple tools and a dirt cheap circular saw.

I have an angle on one of mine where the top and back meet. It didn't work out so well. I spray painted a piece of aluminum flashing, and velcro'd it in place. Looks amazing. I am not suggesting you give up, rather telling you that if it gets messed up there's always SOMETHING you can do about it.

It's been raining cats and dogs here lately so i just now had a chance to look at the cab in the sun before the sun set for the day. I think it came out quite well all things considering. I filled the hole a bit with wood glue and saw dust. It's very close to flush right now but i may give it another pass with it or maybe some water putty.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 07:50:26 pm »
Here is where the cab stands as of 2 hours ago.  I had two different kinds of primer laying around and so i just threw that stuff on there. Need to sand it and get one more coat of primer on it along with the top. The cruddy pictures you can just barely see where i left a bit of the top-back overlap. Going to sand that down with 60 grit to get it fully flat and level.  Need to also start sorting out how to mount the  monitor. Right now i have a 15" LCD but if i could find a CRT of the same size, I wouldn't be opposed to throwing that in there.

Things still need to be done
1x3 stand the cab is supposed to sit on top of
back vents
speaker hole
start thinking of how to mount the monitor

things still need to buy
joystick
buttons
1x3 for the stand
primer
paint

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:52:55 pm by 404 »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 09:06:32 pm »
the whole week has been mostly a wash-out here. I did manage to finish the back of the cab and sand the top-back flush with the rest of the back of the cabinet. I also fixed a piece of the back that was torn off. Simply mixed some wood glue and saw dust together, filled in the chip and clamped it down with wax paper and a spare wood block. Came out decent enough. You can see the ding in the pic below,  darker colored areas at the bottom right.

I also attempted to cut the control panel out of the last bit of wood i had left from the slab. For some reason I ended up cutting it too short and don't have enough left on the remaining slab to cut another one. I may have to buy another panel just to finish this.  :banghead:

pic of the back

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:14:13 pm by 404 »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 08:16:56 pm »
Some more updates

I bought another wood panel. This time around i cut the control panel and the monitor bezel out of one single piece of wood. So far i have not cut out the area for the monitor and the front t-molding trim on the panel. My neighbor is actually supposed to get back to me about a 15" CRT VGA monitor. Would be a lot better than putting in an lcd monitor for this game.

I also attempted and failed to properly route out the nintendo style speaker area on the front panel. I patched it up but it still looks uglier than a dog bite. To add insult to injury, i accidentally painted the front panel black instead of blue like it's supposed to be. Debating what to do about the panel. Not sure if I should cut a new panel out, attempt another speaker route and/or go with a different speaker design. Decisions decisions...

I also finished a simple stand for the unit to sit on. Going to attempt to install that tomorrow.

Pics following the first coat of paint. Fixing some dings i didn't notice as i go along as well.

BAMBOO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 30, 2016, 06:51:20 am
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 12:31:04 am »
404 that is rockin man!
"Every arcade we restore preserves history that we will never experience again..."

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 12:43:58 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:19:24 pm by Louis Tully »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 01:14:59 pm »
oh now you're just trolling because your cabaret came out 100000x nicer than mine.

Just joking.

My original plan was just to sort of do this for fun and to get some experience with the circular saw, then eventually gift it to the kids next door. They apparently got in trouble again so the project has sort of stalled.  I also realized that working with just a circular saw is still very difficult to make a good, accurate arcade cabinet. I definitely don't think i will ever have a cabinet with the quality I want without getting a table saw and more major tools for the job. At the same time I don't think the price of one justifies me getting a saw for just one project.

In the midsts of all of this I also tried to make a few pocket cuts with the circular saw for the bezel/monitor mount and control panel out of one piece of wood. What wound up happening is a crooked piece of wood and the circular saw jumping towards me almost cutting my leg off. So I'm still sort of debating how I'm going to tackle that without losing a limb.

Following a talk with the kids mother about them never getting the arcade, I was sort of tempted to keep the cab, strip the paint and use some wood grain vinyl i have here for the project. I have been slowly looking around for a CRT for it but so far i haven't found a small CRT on craigslist.

The patch i made for the speaker area also came out terrible so I'm going to have to either use a new panel or just go buy a speaker grill.

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 01:47:11 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:19:30 pm by Louis Tully »

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 02:03:24 pm »

I also attempted and failed to properly route out the nintendo style speaker area on the front panel. I patched it up but it still looks uglier than a dog bite. To add insult to injury, i accidentally painted the front panel black instead of blue like it's supposed to be. Debating what to do about the panel. Not sure if I should cut a new panel out, attempt another speaker route and/or go with a different speaker design. Decisions decisions...

I'm not sure if you have the $ but I would get a new panel for the front.  Also 404 if you do have the extra money I swear by my router edge guide.  Below you can see what I did with mine.  I took the speaker template from the Jakobud plans and drafted it out on my wood then drilled the holes the same size as my router bit and set my router with the guide in these holes and just ran the router to the next hole. 

Don't give up either.  This is a great looking cab.  Even though you had a couple hiccups. 

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 06:06:39 pm »
Damn, dude. That's no fun. Table saws are handy but not necessary. A jig saw would help you out and you'd have to really work at it to cut your leg off.

I've built everything with one of these. It's a ---smurfette--- sometimes when you get blade flex and cuts are a little wonky but all in all it gets the job done. Just go slow,cut close to the line, and sand the rest. A drill and a jig saw will take you all the way.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-JS660-Smart-Select/dp/B001JJD0Y4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390933475&sr=8-1&keywords=black+and+decker+jigsaw

$30  much cheaper than a table saw.

You should keep it. I think the paint looks good as is, the blue and black, no need to strip it. I've never attempted to make one of those speaker cutouts but that ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- looks tough to do. I wouldn't even know how to go about it. I usually just drill lots of holes and cover it with one of these

Good luck on finding a 15" crt, I've been looking for some as well. All I can find are 17s

I have a jigsaw but it jumps more than a rabbit so i never even allowed it to cross my mind to use it for this. Almost no doubt in my mind that it would have come out just as bad.

I found some CRTs 2 counties over. A whole stack of them for 5 bucks each but it would cost me more on gas to get a few than its worth. Have an LCD here de-cased though. Haven't had time to hit up the thrift stores here to see if i can find something. If i kept it, I would really like to have a crt vga monitor at least.

I'm not sure if you have the $ but I would get a new panel for the front.  Also 404 if you do have the extra money I swear by my router edge guide.  Below you can see what I did with mine.  I took the speaker template from the Jakobud plans and drafted it out on my wood then drilled the holes the same size as my router bit and set my router with the guide in these holes and just ran the router to the next hole. 

Don't give up either.  This is a great looking cab.  Even though you had a couple hiccups.

I did something similar with the few tools i have laying around here

I actually have this multi purpose tool that doubles as a router using attachments but didn't have a bit to use on it. Was also seriously contemplating using one of my die grinders i have for metal work but i couldn't figure out a way to keep it flat and stable on the wood surface.

I do have a dremel with a small router attachment and a bunch of very good metal burs. After i patched the wood, I made a similar jig out of two pieces of wood to keep the dremel from moving horizontally across the wood surface. Took me a long time to make 3 slots but it still didn't come out as well as i had hoped so i just scrapped the idea. I really don't like the idea of having a speaker grill on a nintendo style cabinet but at this point, I'm running out of options. I just don't have the tools to do this the proper way.

I also made the stand for the unit out of some cheap 1x4 that i found. Brings the height up real nice.

Thanks for all of the great replies and encouragement. All in all I'm not mad about how the cab has panned out so far. I do definitely want to finish it. It's all a matter of how i can possibly make the bezel and panel. Right now I'm out of ideas. I'll be sure to take some pics of where the cab currently stands tomorrow.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 03:33:31 pm »
LA Hips with an Oakland Booty

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 04:20:34 pm »
Looks like early Iron Man prototype head  :lol

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 06:48:42 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:19:40 pm by Louis Tully »

kz1911

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2015, 02:47:59 pm
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 12:05:30 am »
check places like craigslist for tablesaws for cheap prices, got myself a nice one for $40 with blades and all....I also bought that same jigsaw from amazon for $25, it's great but for straight cuts it isnt ideal, tablesaw cuts it much faster and accurate, definitely helps to have the right tools, it will show in the end no matter how skilled you may be.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 05:53:51 pm »
check places like craigslist for tablesaws for cheap prices, got myself a nice one for $40 with blades and all....I also bought that same jigsaw from amazon for $25, it's great but for straight cuts it isnt ideal, tablesaw cuts it much faster and accurate, definitely helps to have the right tools, it will show in the end no matter how skilled you may be.

Yeah, actually I have been keeping an eye out for a table saw small and decent that i can buy. So far I haven't found anything locally but it did cross my mind when i get real deep into this project.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 06:14:45 pm »
did a little work earlier in the day before it started raining. Seriously debating whether i should just finish this up with some quick wood grain laminate and sell it and use the money to invest in better tools.

BAMBOO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 06:22:08 pm »
404 man I love it so far.  I wouldn't sell that man in a million years.
"Every arcade we restore preserves history that we will never experience again..."

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 07:20:04 pm »
404 man I love it so far.  I wouldn't sell that man in a million years.

will trade you for your wip bad dudes cab

BAMBOO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2014, 12:04:01 am »
Seriously?  Cause I'd probably do that.  Only thing is my kids talked me into a Battletoads/Bad Dudes cab and I already had Scott Prior print it out.  Think its already on the way as of today.  :(

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 08:22:43 am »
Seriously?  Cause I'd probably do that.  Only thing is my kids talked me into a Battletoads/Bad Dudes cab and I already had Scott Prior print it out.  Think its already on the way as of today.  :(

ya rly. I'm already a bad enough dude to play the game

BAMBOO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 01:47:22 pm »
Holy Hell man!

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 09:46:59 am »

:lol
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:49:41 am by jdbailey1206 »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 02:42:17 pm »

admit it. you rubbed your nips a few times after seeing that pic.  :laugh2:

Caparo8bit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2018, 02:13:32 am
  • Hyperspin/Maximus
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 10:38:31 pm »

BAMBOO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2014, 07:07:31 pm »

Damn, yeah i did.   :hissy:

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2014, 08:40:25 am »

I rubbed someones nips but ended up breaking my monitor in the process.   :D

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2014, 03:46:07 pm »
went to put woodgrain vinyl on the cabaret cab just now because the paint looks ugly.

on came a massive gust of wind and ripped the vinyl in half just as i had it about halfway on the cab. Ripped everything right off. including the paint underneath

I don't think im going to bother repairing this. it looks like a complete mess. I'm really starting to see just why so many people just buy kits these days.

the luck i have is unbelievable

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2014, 04:02:16 pm »
Not.  Cool.  At.  All.  What are your plans going to be? 

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2014, 04:10:48 pm »
Not.  Cool.  At.  All.  What are your plans going to be?

probably give the wood back to mother nature. Factor in the freak gust of wind and you can tell the skank obviously wanted it back pretty badly

I'm just quickly realizing that unless i get hundreds of dollars worth of tools and more woodworking experience, i'm never going to have the kind of cab that i want.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:43:52 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2014, 07:12:44 pm »
Man, that blows.

BAMBOO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2014, 08:06:05 pm »
What state do you live in?

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 11:40:20 pm »

BAMBOO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2014, 03:55:18 am »
 :banghead:  Don't waste all the work man.  Keep at it!

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2014, 04:58:43 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:21:28 pm by Louis Tully »

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2014, 08:49:03 am »
North Cuba?  That's crazy.  I live in Southern Canada.  But in all seriousness I would have to agree with everyone.  If your money isn't too tight and you can swing it I would continue on with the build.  At least yours wasn't self induced.  I was smart enough to leave the usb cord on my Kade encoder.  The CP is a tight fit on my build and I thought the cp wasn't fitting but the cord was too close to the exterior panel of the cab and I ended up busting off the usb lead of the encoder.  And I did this the same day I finished wiring the CP.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:57:01 am by jdbailey1206 »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2014, 09:46:43 am »
:banghead:  Don't waste all the work man.  Keep at it!

don't think its worth the hassle at this point. I also tried to cut the cp and bezel again and that didn't come out all that great either.

:applaud:  I agree. It's far from lost, 404.

Every time this gets bumped, I think, "ooo updates!" But it's just that scary mullet guy who looks like he's about to bad touch someone.  :(

trade ya some nudies for your street fighter cab!  :laugh2:

North Cuba?  That's crazy.  I live in Southern Canada.  But in all seriousness I would have to agree with everyone.  If your money isn't too tight and you can swing it I would continue on with the build.  At least yours wasn't self induced.  I was smart enough to leave the usb cord on my Kade encoder.  The CP is a tight fit on my build and I thought the cp wasn't fitting but the cord was too close to the exterior panel of the cab and I ended up busting off the usb lead of the encoder.  And I did this the same day I finished wiring the CP.

that's nothing. It's an easy fix. Do you know how to solder?

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 06:16:32 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:21:33 pm by Louis Tully »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2014, 06:45:33 am »
:applaud:  I agree. It's far from lost, 404.
Every time this gets bumped, I think, "ooo updates!" But it's just that scary mullet guy who looks like he's about to bad touch someone.  :(
trade ya some nudies for your street fighter cab!  :laugh2:

:puke
I'd be willing to sell the empty cab. As much as I love it, there's a lot that I'd do differently if I had another chance to build it.

just a joke although i do think your mini street fighter cab is great.  :applaud:

Louis Tully

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2014, 06:58:58 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:21:43 pm by Louis Tully »

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2014, 09:11:00 am »
Quote from: Louis Tully link=topic=136459.msg1422381#msg1422381 date=

I figured. I'm just looking for ways to keep building. I have no more room for arcade stuff so I've got to sell something or dismantle and rebuild. I've already made a decision that my cocktail cab is getting gutted this spring.

Back on track though... Keep your build, man. Maybe take a little break from it, come back with a clear head and less hate for it?
+1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2014, 10:27:23 am »
I figured. I'm just looking for ways to keep building. I have no more room for arcade stuff so I've got to sell something or dismantle and rebuild. I've already made a decision that my cocktail cab is getting gutted this spring.

Back on track though... Keep your build, man. Maybe take a little break from it, come back with a clear head and less hate for it?

Wish i could honestly but shipping that thing would prove to break the bank.  :-[

talkgeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 02:30:46 am
  • Every day you wake up breathing is a GOOD day!
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2014, 04:00:07 pm »
Quote from: Louis Tully link=topic=136459.msg1422381#msg1422381 date=

+1

+2
it's def worth persevering, - i'm keen to see this finished, this style of cab is on my personal list!

if you don't keep going, you'll never try it again (seen that with some friends)  :hissy:, and you'll never get that cab you want or end up paying stupid money for something you aren't 99% happy with (even if you build your own "perfect" cab there will still be something you would do different later..  :banghead: )

seriously keep it up - sand it all back and have another go (wood is really forgiving), maybe try and track down someone locally that can give you some pointers on the tools or might even route some of the parts you need (e.g. the speaker grill and screen mount) - their bound to be someone keen to show off their skills  ;D
Currently building http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137777.0.html Mass-Replicate
Built "n0tsq3" cocktail cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133913.0/all.html
..and restoring a Sega MegaLo 410 Candy Cab & Moon Patrol Cab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2014, 12:14:47 pm »
thanks for the kind words everyone but i started this project simply as a means to see if i could actually do it with a simple circular saw. Now I see that it isn't quite possible, at least not at the level i was hoping for. I've really had enough at this point and I'm going to call it quits on this project.

I'm just going to save up go ahead and pick up a little pre-fabbed bartop kit in the next few weeks and consider myself done with this whole cab building debacle.

TKW4rr10r

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2017, 01:10:01 pm
  • Oh no, he's holding power tools!
    • What I'm selling / looking for:
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2014, 07:02:22 am »
If you don't mind my asking, would you share what dimensions you were able to deduce from the build? Been watching and sad to see it end this way. I loved that DK Jr build on KLOV, too.

I worked with Haruman in getting dimensions together off a severely water damaged atari cabaret last year, and he was able to get a cad program made up. Someday I hope to get a couple reproduced for projects I'm working on.

If you are within distance of him or Rick they can get a new cab cut to keep your project going. Or maybe point you out to a good cnc solution. Can't speak for them, though.

But sharing some refined measurements would definitely be step in not seeing this project die completely. 

Future Projects: Galaxian Anniversary, Mario VS DK, Rebirth
What I'm selling / looking for

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2014, 09:02:48 am »
If you don't mind my asking, would you share what dimensions you were able to deduce from the build? Been watching and sad to see it end this way. I loved that DK Jr build on KLOV, too.

I worked with Haruman in getting dimensions together off a severely water damaged atari cabaret last year, and he was able to get a cad program made up. Someday I hope to get a couple reproduced for projects I'm working on.

If you are within distance of him or Rick they can get a new cab cut to keep your project going. Or maybe point you out to a good cnc solution. Can't speak for them, though.

But sharing some refined measurements would definitely be step in not seeing this project die completely.

Unfortunately neither Rick nor Haruman are anywhere near me.

As for the dimensions, of course. I never posted them here because there just didn't seem to be much interest in them and they are very incomplete. Not really sure why anyone would want them really.  A competent woodworker should have no problems deducing the rest of the dimensions. I will be posting up the dimensions for the speaker placement and the control panel later. I have those dimensions too but never did draw out plans for them.

I actually put up the prelim dimensions on klov some time ago to help a guy that wanted to build one but also in hopes to lure some of the guys that had original nin cabs to contribute. The guys who have one never posted further dimensions in order to help those that wanted to make one.  :dunno

some personal notes:
- I made my cab a little different in order to create the unit out of  a single sheet of 49x96 sheet of 3/4" MDF.  The dimensions attached are based off of the original, not my personal modifications.

- the original cab uses a combination of 9/16" and 5/8" wood. You will need to adjust your plans, especially the base to accommodate your wood thickness

- The dimensions attached are to scale from various threads on klov. the rest was extrapolated from guess-work and from examining the sketchup model available.

- the sketchup model available online has been confirmed to be very inaccurate. use it as a final resort.

- I did not leave a vertical gap between the top and side panels on mine. You should though. Looks lots better. Judging from pictures of the original, the gap is anywhere between 3/16 - 1/4 inch.

- There are absolutely no accurate dimensions for any of the back panels. I guessed them all. If you want my measurements, I'll be more than happy to measure mine out for you.

- I found that the top panel tends to impede vision a bit. The plans for them are accurate according to owners i found on Klov but you may need to adjust these to your own liking.

- The vision issues could also be attributed to the angle of the control panel and monitor bezel i created. Nobody has put up any confirmed dimensions for the angle.

- I guessed the angle of the control panel and monitor as 3 inches or so from the top of the back half of the cab.

- My second cut of a control panel and monitor mount, I made it into a horizontal oriented setup. I found the angle to not be high enough for horizontal games. You may need to adjust the angle.

- because i did not know the angle of the monitor setup, I did not cut the top vent holes on the back support slab. Instead, i cut a similar design on the back door panel instead.

- There are no dimensions for the base available. If you plan on having rear casters on the cab, just use your best judgement in creating it. I made mine from cheap 1x3 lumber. If i had to do it again, I would use 1x4 lumber.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2014, 09:20:44 am »
This project was completed some time ago. I ordered speaker covers and T molding from Twisted Quarter some time ago (my review of their service was of course removed from the forums).  I had to trim some of the top area back due to visibility issues. In the end i took off about 1.5 inches off the top and raised the control panel/monitor angle up quite a bit due to the fact that i was using an LCD. This was the last picture i took before i mounted the joystick, threw in the encoder and finished up. The cab is in good hands- gifted to my neighbor.

In the end i didn't like the way it looked or came out. at least someone else can appreciate it.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:47:39 am by 404 »

Nimbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2019, 08:08:57 pm
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2014, 12:55:29 am »
Did you build a riser/base for it like the original? Just curious if that is why the viewing angle needed to be compensated. It still looks like it turned out nice to me!

Sorry it didn't work out for you the way you intended. However, I spy a Midway cabaret to the right on the Nintendo cabaret. Is that a new project?  :)

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2014, 02:23:34 am »
That design just cries out for a mirror display.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2014, 11:17:39 am »
That design just cries out for a mirror display.

Like an infinity mirror?

Or an etched mirror?