Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: (MAME Compiling Q.) How to remove error messages that pop up DURING the game?  (Read 3719 times)

jmad18

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2013, 02:13:53 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!

Please refer to the picture. In certain games (such as Rompers) an error message will pop up on the bottom during gameplay.

Initially, I thought that "UI Display Comment" would have something to do with it, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I looked in the main INI file and there is nothing related to this either.

Unfortunately, I don't know the first place to look in the source code in order to remove this.

Do you know how to remove this in the source code, or at least where it's located? I don't mean to remove the entire function, but rather I just want to prevent MAME from displaying the messages.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:47:08 am by jmad18 »

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
It's the popmessage in machine/namcos1.c

however you should probably be reporting it to Mametesters, it could be indicating there is an unhandled protection case at that point, so the game might not even be behaving 100% correctly; that's why it's there!

jmad18

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2013, 02:13:53 am
Oh, I see. I was looking in all the wrong places (src/emu specifically). I didn't know that the popup messages were handled individually per game.

There wouldn't be a global method of removing popup messages completely, would there?

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
Oh, I see. I was looking in all the wrong places (src/emu specifically). I didn't know that the popup messages were handled individually per game.

There wouldn't be a global method of removing popup messages completely, would there?

unfortunately while I'm sure somebody will post something this is exactly the type of patch we don't want people applying

those message provide useful information, and can give serious indications of when something might be wrong during the actual emulation execution.  hiding them globally benefits nobody and only hinders the bug reporting process.  ie it's the sticking your head in the sand solution, although people here seem fond of that....

if messages like this come up then they should be reported, if they're harmless then the devs will disable them on a per-case basis, or fix the bug.  (or at least acknowledge the case reported, hide the message, and make a log of it in the source for future reference)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 02:38:26 am by Haze »

B2K24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
I was able to successfully reproduce this reported issue so I submitted a report for it.

http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=5394