Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Injustice: Gods Among Us - keyboard control and other issues  (Read 76238 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - keyboard control and other issues
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2013, 05:27:10 pm »
Well my issues with steam box is that very same political statement.  The only thing the pc has going for it (despite what elitists will say) is that you can run anything on it you want, homemade games, big budget titles, emulators, ect.  You can also use any kind of interface you want to launch them.   

What the steam box says to me is "you will now buy your games via steam and run them the way we see fit, no exceptions".

In terms of controllers, I think xinput has already unified the pc, I'm not sure what steam box is trying to accomplish other than forcing a marketplace on us.  It's funny how Microsoft tried to do the same thing with windows live/xbox live (and more recently windows 8 marketplace) and were hated for it and steam does the exact same thing and suddenly it's alright.  There is a lot of unjustified hate towards M$.  Mind you there is a lot of JUSTIFIED hate as well, but I'm just saying.  ;-)

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:14:36 pm
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2013, 05:33:42 pm »
Well my issues with steam box is that very same political statement.  The only thing the pc has going for it (despite what elitists will say) is that you can run anything on it you want, homemade games, big budget titles, emulators, ect.  You can also use any kind of interface you want to launch them.   

What the steam box says to me is "you will now buy your games via steam and run them the way we see fit, no exceptions".

In terms of controllers, I think xinput has already unified the pc, I'm not sure what steam box is trying to accomplish other than forcing a marketplace on us.  It's funny how Microsoft tried to do the same thing with windows live/xbox live (and more recently windows 8 marketplace) and were hated for it and steam does the exact same thing and suddenly it's alright.  There is a lot of unjustified hate towards M$.  Mind you there is a lot of JUSTIFIED hate as well, but I'm just saying.  ;-)

The difference between Steam and M$ - at least to me - is that Microsoft fixes prices.  That same piece of crap game you bought 4 years ago for $60 is STILL $60 today. 

There is no concept of a "Steam sale" on the other platforms.  So while Steam might be telling me how to play my games (DRM and whatnot), they're only charging me $5 to do it.  And I don't have to pay a monthly fee to play online.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:37:41 pm
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2013, 09:49:19 am »
Poked around with a hex editor for a little bit yesterday.  Got interrupted before doing too much though.  :(

Didn't find the location of the accept and back keys yet.  Swapped out a couple that looked like they might be it, but they didn't work when I launched the game.
Pretty sure that I did find the text for the keyboard and dinput labels that are created on the fly.
This evening I'll try to swap in the letters that correspond to my button labels and see what happens.  If it works, it will make the tutorials and story mode much more enjoyable on my cab.  Doubtful it will be of much use to anyone else though.
I'll probably have to use U,D,L,&R for directions rather than arrow keys or else it will change the file size.

I also searched for mention of all the dll files that x360kb.ini can be paired with.
The only one in there is xinput1_3.dll
That is the one used for MKK and when trying to use x360kb with Injustice, I do get the "ding" sound that the file is being accessed.
So I'm pretty sure that is the correct dll file to be used.
EDIT: It does mention dinput8.dll also.

It's mostly over my head, but when browsing with the hex editor, I did notice some stuff where it looked like the game would look for some type of response from the xinput controller and if it didn't get it, it would then default to keyboard.  I still think x360kb not working has something to do with getting the x360kb files to "hook" like the new version of x360ce.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:26:27 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2013, 06:57:32 pm »
Haven't been able to remap the navigation buttons, but made some progress on the labels.
If I swap the xbox descriptions into the dinput locations, it shows the xbox buttons.
I had put B, Y, O, A, C in expecting to see the letters and it spit out the xbox buttons, lol.

This is starting at block 13AF5F8 if anyone else wants to poke around.
(let me know if that's the wrong way to state a location)

I'm using HxD and know just enough to fumble around.

Another interesting tidbit:
Physics.HighVoltage_WarnerBros_Injustice-pka-Pinball-Project_PS4_PC....0x16a7c8b4-0x0b21a240:2013-12-17.Cloth.HighVoltage_WarnerBros_Injustice-pka-Pinball-Project_PS4_PC
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:00:50 pm by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2013, 07:45:28 pm »
Yeah I'm sorry man I've been busy working on the Ultimate Boss Mod.  I should have mentioned that the way labels work in MKKE (and Injustice apparently) is that everything defaults to 360 labels.  So if you corrupt a string pointing to the keyboard stuff, It'll default to the 360 stuff.

If you corrupt the 360 stuff you usually get a "BUG ME" message... if you find the words "BUG ME" near by and replace that with nulls, you'll get no labels.  I did all of this stuff to make a makeshift photo booth in MKKE.

I might try to whip up a one player only version (just for testing) of a keyboard wrapper for MKKE... if that works it would easily be adapted to injustice.  I'll just make it handle xinput memory addresses, which thus far with my year of hacking experience are universal regardless of the game.   

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2013, 08:00:09 pm »
I have to disagree here.  Keyboards are not gaming devices (unless you're a hardcore first person shooter guy...  but that's a separate argument).  I think we're the ones stuck in the dark ages.
Then why bother implementing keyboard support in the first place?  It's one thing to not implement keyboard support, but it's another when the do and they force your to use G and J.  Tsk, tsk.  Shameful.

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2013, 08:02:23 pm »
Yeah I'm sorry man I've been busy working on the Ultimate Boss Mod.  I should have mentioned that the way labels work in MKKE (and Injustice apparently) is that everything defaults to 360 labels.  So if you corrupt a string pointing to the keyboard stuff, It'll default to the 360 stuff.

Don't apologize.  It's not your responsibility, although I'm sure you'd accomplish things much faster.

When I corrupt the keyboard stuff, I get [???] for a label.
I haven't been able to substitute anything for the keyboard icons or swap them around.
It just has the ABCs in upper case, then lower case.  Not sure how it knows when I swap the order around.

Still fumbling my way through swapping in the xbox labels to the dinput joystick.
It's a game of trying to get the ones I need in there without changing the size of the section.
Odd thing is that I can't just put letters in there, but I've managed to get part of the description of a button...LSH] as part of [LSH], which should make the left shoulder button show.

I should be working on finding the actual inputs, but I'm seeing progress here so would like to finish.

EDIT: Labels for navigation key icons start at 13E4C18, doesn't change the key, but changing the letter will make a different letter appear on the icon.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:15:20 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2013, 10:11:32 am »
Have made no further progress on the controls of this game, but someone on the steam forums claims something interesting.

One of the biggest complaints about the game is that there are no matches to be found online.
They say if x360ce, xpadder or the like is running, the game will tell you few or no matches are available.
They claim disabling those programs made the biggest difference in finding matches.

All the more reason to use an interface that shows up natively as an xbox 360 controller.  :-\

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2013, 11:42:10 am »
Have made no further progress on the controls of this game, but someone on the steam forums claims something interesting.

One of the biggest complaints about the game is that there are no matches to be found online.
They say if x360ce, xpadder or the like is running, the game will tell you few or no matches are available.
They claim disabling those programs made the biggest difference in finding matches.

All the more reason to use an interface that shows up natively as an xbox 360 controller.  :-\

You think its some kind of anti-cheat technology?  That's really interesting.  I wonder if the other games (SSIV, MK9, etc) do this as well?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2013, 12:04:36 pm »
You think its some kind of anti-cheat technology?  That's really interesting.  I wonder if the other games (SSIV, MK9, etc) do this as well?

I haven't really gotten into online play (because I'm a button masher who does the same moves repeatedly).
However, yesterday I wandered into one of the MKK online menus and it showed zero players in all locations.
I'm using x360kb on MKK.  I haven't done any testing so I'm not willing to say it's true one way or the other, but it does seem interesting.

I was poking around because after switching to offline mode and then back, all my progress in story mode disappeared.  :'(
I wasn't using the steam cloud backup either because the button mappings on my cab and laptop conflict and screw each other up.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2013, 12:19:22 pm »
I was poking around because after switching to offline mode and then back, all my progress in story mode disappeared.  :'(
I wasn't using the steam cloud backup either because the button mappings on my cab and laptop conflict and screw each other up.

Its time to just give in my friend.

http://akishop-customs.com/PS360Plus.html

These games are obviously on your radar for your cabinet - might as well just pull the trigger and fix the problem once and for all.  Its only going to get worse as more ports come over to PC.. 

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 10:15:48 am
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2013, 12:26:35 pm »
I'm a bit disappointed, Badmouth.  I thought you would have figured this out by now  :P

But seriously, the game will be on sale for $19.99 from Amazon starting tomorrow and into Christmas day.  This is when I plan to strike.  I won't be back home until the end of the year, so I won't be able to play around with it, but based on your exhaustive research on this, I think I'll settle for key redirection with AHK, until a better alternative comes along.  Once I get this working, I'll post the script here.

I'm also thinking about building some button card overlays that I can just slip over my buttons showing the symbols that go with each, so that I can figure out how to read in-game command lists.  It's a little bit of work but will help with the mismatched button setups I have across games.

Anyway, big thanks to BadMouth for keeping us informed of all this trials and tribulations to save us from going through it all.

I'll check back when I have something useful for you.

Merry Christmas to all.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2013, 12:35:14 pm »
just give in my friend.

I will probably go the pad hack route.  I have one fightpad.
Not excited about the work, but it makes more sense for me to spend another $20 on a fightpad than $120 on a pair of interfaces..

I'm a bit disappointed, Badmouth.  I thought you would have figured this out by now  :P
Me too.

I think I'll settle for key redirection with AHK, until a better alternative comes along.  Once I get this working, I'll post the script here.

The game treats every keyboard as a separate input device instead of using the windows "system" keyboard, so I suspected that AHK wouldn't work.
I never tested, but IIRC Connorsdad confirmed it earlier in the this thread.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2013, 12:47:33 pm »
just give in my friend.

Not excited about the work, but it makes more sense for me to spend another $20 on a fightpad than $120 on a pair of interfaces..

The Logitech F310 are pretty cheap - comparatively speaking.  I guess the question is do you want the ability to plug in a PS3 or XBox 360 into your cabinet?  (the idea seems cool to me).

But then with the F310's you also get the profiler software - which could come in handy as well.   Decisions, decisions.  :)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2013, 01:14:45 pm »
just give in my friend.

The Logitech F310 are pretty cheap - comparatively speaking.  I guess the question is do you want the ability to plug in a PS3 or XBox 360 into your cabinet?  (the idea seems cool to me).

But then with the F310's you also get the profiler software - which could come in handy as well.   Decisions, decisions.  :)

No interest in consoles.  I wouldn't use it enough to warrant buying one, even used.

Using the profiler software would require you to physically flip a switch to put it in direct input mode.
That's not cool on an arcade cab.  When I select a game, everything should be automatic.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2013, 01:21:18 pm »
just give in my friend.

No interest in consoles.  I wouldn't use it enough to warrant buying one, even used.

Using the profiler software would require you to physically flip a switch to put it in direct input mode.
That's not cool on an arcade cab.  When I select a game, everything should be automatic.

LEDBlinky + Relay = Automatic    >:D     Or I bet the servo-stick mechanism from Ultimarc would do it too.

Just depends on how hard you're willing to work for it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:51:13 pm by Fursphere »

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2013, 01:26:05 pm »
The game treats every keyboard as a separate input device instead of using the windows "system" keyboard, so I suspected that AHK wouldn't work.
I never tested, but IIRC Connorsdad confirmed it earlier in the this thread.
Well, as long as you can assign buttons for both players to the same keyboard (iPac), AHK should be a viable option.  Connorsdad did not give details of what he tried.  I've had success with it for many other games and emulators, so it can't hurt to take a look.
"The Manuel"

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2013, 10:48:30 pm »
just give in my friend.

I just took apart my Logitech F310.  I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on putting it back together.  (I got mine back together and functional after 3 attempts and a few swear words)

The traces are SMALL, so its going to require some (very) careful soldering work.  I would say experienced to advanced.  And a really good iron.  No Radio Shack specials here folks. 

The triggers are real potentiometers - so I'm not sure how you can convert them to "on/off buttons".  And the switch in the back to toggle between DirectInput and XInput modes is a very tiny mechanical switch.  I took some pictures too if you want to see them. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2013, 11:03:04 pm »
I just took apart my Logitech F310.  I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on putting it back together.  (I got mine back together and functional after 3 attempts and a few swear words)

The traces are SMALL, so its going to require some (very) careful soldering work.  I would say experienced to advanced.  And a really good iron.  No Radio Shack specials here folks. 

The triggers are real potentiometers - so I'm not sure how you can convert them to "on/off buttons".   

The triggers can be converted to digital by using 5k resistors.

I took some pictures too if you want to see them.

Nah.  Not necessary.  I already have one fight pad and would rather hack two of the same thing.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2013, 12:46:00 am »
I think if we wait just a month or two 360 gamepads, specifically offbrand ones are going to be super cheap.  Seeing as how you can get them to show up as direct input pads or xinput ones it'd be the way to go. 

I've been unbelievably busy lately (UGH Xmas stuff!) but I still want to take a stab at some sort of generic memory wrapper once I get some time.  I think it's a deal where I could allow the user to make a little ini file specifying the memory locations of the xinput buffer and it would work pretty much universally. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2013, 09:17:11 am »
More keyboard issues being reported on Steam.

Apparently some quick time events require you to press the default keys instead of the ones you mapped.
Crazy part is that the game will display the key you mapped, but still expect you to hit the original default key for that action.
WB should get a refund from High Voltage for the lousy job they did on the pc conversion.

MY OFFICIAL TAKE ON THIS GAME IS STAY FAR, FAR, AWAY FROM IT UNLESS YOU ARE USING XBOX CONTROLLERS OR AN INTERFACE THAT SHOWS UP AS AN XBOX CONTROLLER.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2013, 09:53:47 am »
Well, finally got to install the game and play with input options:

-
  • Used vjoy and was punching away in no time (easiest setup of all the PC fighting games I've installed)
  • I set up a simple AHK script to launch vjoy and load the game's config file before starting Injustice, and to close it down upon game exit
  • Game sees button inputs as numbers 1 through however many buttons you have so it's rather intuitive to quickly find your buttons in move lists
  • Have not played story mode, so haven't gone through any quicktime events
  • Accept and cancel functions default to buttons 2 and 3 of the joystick, as the game sees them, so I made my top three buttons 3, 2 and 1, so that "accept" is my top left button and "cancel" is my top middle button, consistent with almost all games I have (except silly SFIVAE)
  • Only problem with this is that I'll confused during quick time events and reading the move list so I might yet revert to the default assignments for the "accept" and "cancel" functions; it's a trade-off
  • I was pleasantly surprised to see that the game is better optimized for the PC than MKKE since I can run at a steady 60 FPS, as long as I turn shadow quality completely off; it doesn't help to turn it to the minimum because it introduces artifacts
  • Cutscene video quality is much better than MKKE's

In all, I'm actually quite pleased with this port, especially after seeing how many people have had all kinds of trouble with slow motion, control assignments, etc.
If anyone needs help with setting up vjoy, let me know.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2013, 10:20:50 am »
Well, finally got to install the game and play with input options:

-
  • Used vjoy and was punching away in no time (easiest setup of all the PC fighting games I've installed)
  • I set up a simple AHK script to launch vjoy and load the game's config file before starting Injustice, and to close it down upon game exit
  • Game sees button inputs as numbers 1 through however many buttons you have so it's rather intuitive to quickly find your buttons in move lists
  • Have not played story mode, so haven't gone through any quicktime events
  • Accept and cancel functions default to buttons 2 and 3 of the joystick, as the game sees them, so I made my top three buttons 3, 2 and 1, so that "accept" is my top left button and "cancel" is my top middle button, consistent with almost all games I have (except silly SFIVAE)
  • Only problem with this is that I'll confused during quick time events and reading the move list so I might yet revert to the default assignments for the "accept" and "cancel" functions; it's a trade-off
  • I was pleasantly surprised to see that the game is better optimized for the PC than MKKE since I can run at a steady 60 FPS, as long as I turn shadow quality completely off; it doesn't help to turn it to the minimum because it introduces artifacts
  • Cutscene video quality is much better than MKKE's

In all, I'm actually quite pleased with this port, especially after seeing how many people have had all kinds of trouble with slow motion, control assignments, etc.
If anyone needs help with setting up vjoy, let me know.

:cheers:

Guess I'll move onto vjoy too then (although hacking a pair of fightpads is on my to-do list).  Remapping the keywiz with the uploader works, but I'm confused during quicktime events and people are reporting issues with remapped controls during them too.  I still wish someone would get x360kb working so it would display the xbox button labels, but like you say the dinput numbers wouldn't be bad.

I assume you're using a keyboard encoder.  The buttons that post the original navigation keys don't cause any issues?

I'd also be curious if there is any truth to the post on the steam forums about the game not showing online matches if using xpadder, x360ce, or the like.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2013, 12:05:55 pm »
Yes.  I'm using a keyboard encoder, the original iPac, which I've had since 2002.  However, I'm glad you asked about keyboard conflicts because there is one instance where things go awry.  If you assign any inputs in vjoy to G, which is the game's default "accept" keyboard input, when navigating menus it will read it as such and not as a virtual joystick input from vjoy, unfortunately.  Once you go in-game, it reads it as a joystick input, like you want it.  In my case, I have G assigned to P2 left so I just get around it by navigating the menus with P1 controls, which is not a big deal.  I imagine this is true for J (cancel) as well but I don't have this conflict.  I also have the arrow keys mapped to P1 directional controls so I don't know if assigning those keys to a different function would cause problems too.  Give it a try and let us know.  It's quite easy to set up vjoy.

As for online, I was able to play matches, both in a lobby and as a ranked match.  It did take a while to find an opponent, but I doubt this has anything to do with the controls workaround.  Also, the first match I played lagged horribly but this is probably due to the connection to the other player.  The second one seemed fine.

Let me know how it goes and happy new year in advance!
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2014, 03:09:02 pm »
I just discovered last night that using vjoy causes a few problems with other gamer that use the x360kb hack:
- SFIV: in the title screen, the focus runs rapidly between "start game", "pc settings" and "quit", making it difficult to press the option you want.  The game seems fine, once you are in.
- SSIV: the game assumes you are using a keyboard by default when you enter the game, so you don't get access to your x360kb hacked buttons in arcade mode.  In VS mode, since you assign a controller for each player, everything seems fine.
- MKKE: I did not see any issues with this one.

The above happens even with the joystick emulation disabled in the vjoy interface.  I made it go away by uninstalling vjoy and removing the virtual joystick drivers.  There may be some other way to make them coexist.  I'll play with it some more tonight to see if I find a solution and provide an update.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2014, 03:29:44 pm »
I just discovered last night that using vjoy causes a few problems with other gamer that use the x360kb hack:
- SFIV: in the title screen, the focus runs rapidly between "start game", "pc settings" and "quit", making it difficult to press the option you want.  The game seems fine, once you are in.
- SSIV: the game assumes you are using a keyboard by default when you enter the game, so you don't get access to your x360kb hacked buttons in arcade mode.  In VS mode, since you assign a controller for each player, everything seems fine.
- MKKE: I did not see any issues with this one.

The above happens even with the joystick emulation disabled in the vjoy interface.  I made it go away by uninstalling vjoy and removing the virtual joystick drivers.  There may be some other way to make them coexist.  I'll play with it some more tonight to see if I find a solution and provide an update.

I was curious if vjoy could be used the way x360kb is used, by putting the driver in the folder with the exe instead of having the virtual joystick installed and showing up in windows.  I've somewhat lost interest in testing though.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2014, 03:38:49 pm »
I was curious if vjoy could be used the way x360kb is used, by putting the driver in the folder with the exe instead of having the virtual joystick installed and showing up in windows.  I've somewhat lost interest in testing though.

I'll see what I can do with that, although I don't know how the game would know that driver is available if it's not in Windows.

So did you give up on the game or did you settle for trying to got he hardware hack route?
I finally got to play the game a little bit last weekend and it was a lot of fun so I'm sure as hell going to make sure I can make it work somehow.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2014, 04:16:15 pm »
So did you give up on the game or did you settle for trying to got he hardware hack route?

Mostly been busy on other non-arcade projects.

I'm currently using a Key Wiz keyboard encoder.  The key wiz uploader software can change maps on the fly.  I have an autohotkey script upload a map using the game's default keys, then switch back on exit.  It works and the game doesn't complain, but I'm not completely satisfied with it.  The uploader software takes a while to do it's job.  The game displays the original keys in the tutorial and quick time events, but I never remember which button they correspond to because they're not my usual mappings.  For the fighting, it works perfectly.  Haven't played it much after getting it set up.

Even though it's working, I've decided to move onto xbox360 pad hacks for the sake of not having to spend time on these issues in the future.
I picked up a few more games that were going to require workarounds and decided that it's time to move on.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2014, 04:19:19 pm »
Sounds good, my friend.  I hope you find a solution that suits you.
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2014, 10:08:41 am »
I couldn't get anywhere last night trying to get vjoy not to interfere with x360kb.
Also, I can’t seem to re-assign keys using ahk.  They just won’t take, which I think BadMouth suggested might happen.

I’m now leaning towards moving the other PC games to vjoy.  After all, this is a more universal solution and the buttons are numbered in a logical sequence, which will make reading command lists easier relative to my control panel.

This is what I’ll try next.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2014, 10:27:10 am »
I couldn't get anywhere last night trying to get vjoy not to interfere with x360kb.
Also, I can’t seem to re-assign keys using ahk.  They just won’t take, which I think BadMouth suggested might happen.

Yeah, the game gets input directly from individual keyboards rather than through windows (like MAME) so ahk doesn't work.

vjoy coupled with the latest version of x360ce actually works.  I did test that and it works.
It makes the game think an xbox360 controller is connected. 
Nothing is really gained, except that it displays the xbox360 buttons.
That's exactly what I want, but I was afraid that many layers would result in too much input lag.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2014, 10:31:59 am »
I see.  You use vjoy to emulate a joystick withe keyboard and then x360ce to emulate an xbox pad with the emulated joystick.  It does sound like too many layers.  I'll see how vjoy works for me on the other games.

Thanks for the info.
"The Manuel"

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2014, 10:39:56 am »
I’m now leaning towards moving the other PC games to vjoy.  After all, this is a more universal solution and the buttons are numbered in a logical sequence, which will make reading command lists easier relative to my control panel.

Sorry to keep bumping, but I just remembered something.  Earlier in this thread somewhere fursphere tested a game (SSFIVAE I think) with two dinput controllers and only one player could use a dinput controller.  You couldn't play a two player game with two dinput devices.
That would be an issue if using only vjoy.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2014, 10:43:00 am »
Thanks for the heads up.  One way to get around that if I run into it, would be to assign P2 controls to the keyboard, which would screw up the command list symbols.  I'll have to see.
"The Manuel"

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2014, 04:03:57 pm »
Well like I mentioned, I can probably fix all of this mess with a wrapper, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I've still got the MKKE mods sitting on my harddrive, but this time of year everyone buys me video games for Xmas... so I'm playing games.  ;)

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2014, 04:58:55 pm »
Well like I mentioned, I can probably fix all of this mess with a wrapper, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I've still got the MKKE mods sitting on my harddrive, but this time of year everyone buys me video games for Xmas... so I'm playing games.  ;)

Sounds good.  I'm just trying to figure something out to get it playable in the meantime.
Thanks.
"The Manuel"

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2014, 01:49:07 pm »
Well, I will not pursue using vjoy on all PC games because the key blocking feature doesn't work in Windows 7.  As I found out with Injustice, this means that hard coded keyboard inputs are also pressed when assigning those keys to inputs in the control panel.  It happens to work OK for me with Injustice because I don't have many conflicts in my CP with that game's keyboard defaults but it wreaks havoc in SFIVAE with my setup.

I did however find an effective, if inelegant way to work around the vjoy / x360kb interference issue.  If rename or move the file C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\vjoy.sys before starting SFIVAE, the vjoy defined virtual game pads become disabled because Windows can't find the driver for it and the game works as usual. 

I will add some simple AHK code to my scripts to rename this file to something else before launching each of the x360kb games that cause the interference and a couple more for Injustice to rename it back to its original name.

I've switched manually several times without issue so I know it will work.  I'll post the code when I get it working.
"The Manuel"

Connorsdad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2018, 05:56:03 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2014, 02:34:17 pm »

I am definitely looking forward to this, I have the game installed on my cab and am yet to play it :(

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2014, 07:22:05 pm »
Here is the AHK script I am using to enable vjoy when playing Injustice and to disable it when playing PC games that use the xbox pad hack, like SFIV/AE and MKKE:

To enable vjoy:
FileMove, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vjoy_renamed.sys, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vjoy.sys
Run, C:\Program Files (x86)\VJoy\VJoy.exe -file "D:\PC\Injustice - Gods Among Us UE\VJoy.ini"

To disable vjoy:
FileMove, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vjoy.sys, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vjoy_renamed.sys

Notes:
- Obviously change the drive letter above to match your setup and provide the correct location of your vjoy in file
- The script will not stop with error if the file already has the target name and thus can't find it, it will simply work
- In order to enable vjoy after renaming vjoy.sys, vjoy has to be restarted.  Since I always close the vjoy process at the end of the Injustice script, this is not a problem for me but if you always have vjoy enabled, this won't work

Here is the code to close the vjoy process:
Process, Close, vjoy.exe

Best regards.
"The Manuel"

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2014, 05:43:29 pm »
I know this isn't the solution most of you are looking for but since some of us have decided to cut the cord.....

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.253726300?WT.mc_id=mer_shopping&mr:referralID=434ea464-7916-11e3-9104-001b2166c62d&siteID=NKa3hZyYoHA-nXqyu3RXknSp7NypbKbD2w

It's an official Microsoft gamepad specifically designed for fighters on sale for 10 bucks with free shipping.  So you can upgrade your cabinet for 20 bucks and an afternoon of soldering.  Don't let the appearance fool you, this pad is 100% digital, meaning you can toss the pad away and just keep the pcb without fear of having to deal with analog sticks. 

I think I might pick up a few.