Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Slowdown in Mame .77  (Read 995 times)

Popcorrin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 11:11:43 am
Slowdown in Mame .77
« on: November 22, 2003, 02:06:55 pm »
I upgraded from mame .71 to mame .77 and have noticed a considerable decrease in speed.  Most notably in the midway wolf unit games.  MK 3 has never had any problem playing on my system at a full 53 fps but after upgrading to mame .77 I run in the low 40's.  Has anyone else noticed a major decrease in speed with this last release?

By the way I am running Window 2k on an Athlon 2000 with 256mb of DDR.  

william1983

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2003, 05:19:25 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Slowdown in Mame .77
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 03:13:11 pm »
i am starting to think the people who test the games are starting to show there real faces.

i cant find it right now but i remeber somewhere one of the top guys said he didnt care what the speed of the game is aslong as its DOCUMENTED...

he said being able to play is just an added bonus..

ohh yeah the new version 77 took out some games..

namely KOF2001 and KOF2002.

jerryjanis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2023, 01:56:44 am
  • Skate or Die!!!
    • Jake's Joystick
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 07:10:38 pm »
It's the nature of the beast - the addition of more games/features results in slower overall speed.  Luckily computers are getting faster all the time, so no matter how much bloated crap is in Mame in 5 years we'll be able to play Area 51 on a computer that's been pulled from the trash.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 10:31:00 pm »
I upgraded from mame .71 to mame .77 and have noticed a considerable decrease in speed.  Most notably in the midway wolf unit games.  MK 3 has never had any problem playing on my system at a full 53 fps but after upgrading to mame .77 I run in the low 40's.  Has anyone else noticed a major decrease in speed with this last release?

By the way I am running Window 2k on an Athlon 2000 with 256mb of DDR.  

Most of the midway games slowed down because the sound chips emulation was improved a few versions ago, at the cost of speed of course.  MK3 is one of them.

Other games' emulation was improved since 0.71, too.   That's the reason new versions come out.  You can run different versions of mame for the different games, if you want.

i am starting to think the people who test the games are starting to show there real faces.

i cant find it right now but i remeber somewhere one of the top guys said he didnt care what the speed of the game is aslong as its DOCUMENTED...

he said being able to play is just an added bonus..

how about last paragraph at http://www.mame.net/ front page for starters.

ohh yeah the new version 77 took out some games..

namely KOF2001 and KOF2002.

KOF 2001 & 2 should have never made it in; it's too soon.  In fact, they weren't part of official mame since before 0.71 or never.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 05:28:49 am »
Please don't bad mouth the developers. There purpose has always been to document with a priority of accuracy over performance.

Being able to play the roms has always been only a side benefit.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.