Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Keyboard and Mouse controls on your driving cabinet?  (Read 1272 times)

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2018, 11:28:40 am
Keyboard and Mouse controls on your driving cabinet?
« on: September 09, 2013, 02:51:41 pm »
As much as we'd like our front end programs and key mappings to cover everything, sooner or later you're going to have to deal with Windows, or a menu, or something (the menu's in Burnout Paradise are worst I've seen so far.  game is great, menu's are horrible).

On the driving cabinet, I don't really have room for it.  I'm using a wired mini-keyboard and trackball that I put in my lap when I have to deal with it, then set them on top of the computer case while I'm driving. 

Most of the newer PC games require keyboard / mouse interaction at some point.  (username / password, clicking some stupid button that doesn't have a gamepad input option, etc).

How do you guys deal with this?  On my upright MAME cabinet, I've got a keyboard / mouse drawer that rolls out, very easy, almost invisible. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:23:51 pm
Re: Keyboard and Mouse controls on your driving cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 03:10:28 pm »
So far, I just don't play the games that require them. 
Occasionally, I'll plug in a wireless keyboard mouse combo, but nothing permanent.

I tried a 2.4Ghz Lenovo mini keyboard/mouse, but it doesn't work unless I unplug all the other 2.4Ghz devices in the area.  :angry:
Not recommended!

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2019, 06:15:33 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 03:26:05 pm »
Grab one of these. You won't be sad. Great battery life, works seemlessly. Includes the touchpad for mouse stuff (it's a touchpad, but hey, you won't be programming on the thing right?). For major surgery, i remote into my cab wirelessly.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r?crid=26

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2018, 11:28:40 am
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 03:29:24 pm »
2.4ghz is officially on my sh!t list.  I've got some high end Motorola baby monitors in my house - they're only on when the kids are sleeping.  When the camera in my 1 year old's room turns on (the monitor rotates between the two cameras every 15 seconds or something) it straight up DESTROYS everything else in the house using 2.4ghz. 

I actually had a fancy wireless card that showed the signal in wave form with a utility, I was watching the monitor flip back and forth between cameras, and the signal on my wifi go from 100% - 0%.  It was sad.  That's the day I ran a 100ft RJ45 cable to my front room to ditch the wifi. 

5ghz is A LOT better - for now....   unfortunately I've still got crap on 2.4ghz, so I'm stuck there.  In a few years 5ghz will be the norm, and it'll get flooded too.  Then they'll be something new to replace it, and we'll start all over...  /sigh

But ya, it sounds like you've got the same problems I do with the keyboard situation.  :)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 04:05:47 pm »
2.4ghz is officially on my sh!t list.  I've got some high end Motorola baby monitors in my house - they're only on when the kids are sleeping.  When the camera in my 1 year old's room turns on (the monitor rotates between the two cameras every 15 seconds or something) it straight up DESTROYS everything else in the house using 2.4ghz. 

I actually had a fancy wireless card that showed the signal in wave form with a utility, I was watching the monitor flip back and forth between cameras, and the signal on my wifi go from 100% - 0%.  It was sad.  That's the day I ran a 100ft RJ45 cable to my front room to ditch the wifi. 

5ghz is A LOT better - for now....   unfortunately I've still got crap on 2.4ghz, so I'm stuck there.  In a few years 5ghz will be the norm, and it'll get flooded too.  Then they'll be something new to replace it, and we'll start all over...  /sigh

But ya, it sounds like you've got the same problems I do with the keyboard situation.  :)

Funny thing is that the full size wireless keyboard and mouse that I use are also 2.4Ghz, but they work just fine.
Perhaps it's a brand/protocol thing.  It works on my standup cab if I unplug a nearby Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse.
But it also refuses to work on my jukebox which is right next to a 2.4Ghz router.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2019, 05:07:28 pm
  • Be the change you want to see in the world.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 05:19:21 pm »
keyboard sits on top of the PC inside the cab, mouse right next to it. Mouse is wireless , and when in use the KB and mouse usually sit on the control panel shroud....one of the benefits of using a converted pole position.
If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.

Brandon_Roth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2014, 04:40:18 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 01:56:28 am »
This is good and awesome!!! Its work to much smoothly .

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:40:18 am by Brandon_Roth »

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 02:06:51 am »
Grab one of these. You won't be sad. Great battery life, works seemlessly. Includes the touchpad for mouse stuff (it's a touchpad, but hey, you won't be programming on the thing right?). For major surgery, i remote into my cab wirelessly.

This what i use. a fantastic keyboard and smallish. i bought it for $35 at walmart.

another option is just adding some hidden buttons. I have an 8 way shifter and most of my games are 4-speed games so i use 7th gear as enter and 8th gear as esc.  you can do the same with just arcade buttons that out of sight.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:09:06 am by SegaOutrun »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 09:28:40 am »
another option is just adding some hidden buttons. I have an 8 way shifter and most of my games are 4-speed games so i use 7th gear as enter and 8th gear as esc.  you can do the same with just arcade buttons that out of sight.

My start button is enter, my exit button is escape, & the four view buttons have arrow labels on them and post as the direction keys.
It works great for most games.  All the SimBin "games" still require a mouse to navigate menus.  Big thumb down for that.

I use an autohotkey script to make the radio button post Q for the old Need For Speed games.
Outrun 2006 requires F2, but I never got around to making a script for it.

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 05:42:13 pm »

the logitech k400 is on sale today for $22 in case anyone is interested

http://www.dailysteals.com/heist/12465/Logitech-K400-Wireless-Touch?utm_source=DailySteals.com+-+Deal+of+the+Day&utm_campaign=0817b07312-09_18_13_PC_Acc&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_df9b59ce87-0817b07312-30099581