Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project Epic Arcade  (Read 44280 times)

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
Re: My first Arcade Build 5ghz Watercooled
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 01:32:48 pm »
i want to do that so bad!

I am yet to see any good posts on how to make one to get some ideas flowing.
If  i could find some good material i would attempt it!

Several people have done it and done it well.  DaOldMan, TopJimmy and Ond have all done it.  DaOldMan and TopJimmy used Lazy suzy's and Ond used bearings:

Ond's Approach - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,88912.0.html
TopJimmyCooks Approach - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,112424.0.html
DaOldMan's Information on rotating monitor - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,108836.msg1155364.html#msg1155364

epicfatigue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2016, 08:16:08 pm
    • http://www.retromods.com.au
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 07:25:57 pm »
Thanks Guys for the info,

I have come up with how i will do my rotation, i am just now working out the motor and how it will drive, as i want it to be fast and silent.

My issue i think i am going to be facing is dealing with the CRT getting distorted while turning.
And i do not have a printer port in my unit, so i will have to reinvent the wheel and make a USB controlled PIC similar to my KVM.

Might go with a PIC to start the motor till it hits stop and if it doesnt hit stop after X seconds to disengage if there is a fault.
Will also send a signal to a contractor to disable to monitor before and after to fire the coil.

For the motor i think i might use a windscreen wiper motor as they are geared very well, but there will be lots of testing for the motor first thing is first is to make the rotation.

The rotation itself i think a Bicycle rim with 4 wheels for support should be very fluid.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2013, 10:10:41 am »
Thanks Guys for the info,

I have come up with how i will do my rotation, i am just now working out the motor and how it will drive, as i want it to be fast and silent.

My issue i think i am going to be facing is dealing with the CRT getting distorted while turning.
And i do not have a printer port in my unit, so i will have to reinvent the wheel and make a USB controlled PIC similar to my KVM.

Might go with a PIC to start the motor till it hits stop and if it doesnt hit stop after X seconds to disengage if there is a fault.
Will also send a signal to a contractor to disable to monitor before and after to fire the coil.

For the motor i think i might use a windscreen wiper motor as they are geared very well, but there will be lots of testing for the motor first thing is first is to make the rotation.

The rotation itself i think a Bicycle rim with 4 wheels for support should be very fluid.

Silent is fine, but fast may not be something you want to push so hard at when rolling with a CRT.  TopJimmyCooks approach is pretty fast but still stable.

I would really lean on DaOldMan's approach for this.  Think of it like a CNC machine and install stop switches.  When you go in either direction and hit a stop switch electricity is cut off to the motor.  It's really the go to way and prevents you from having to worry about steps/mathematical equations as to when to perfectly stop.

Wiper motors are good.  Strong and powerful but be careful of the AMP draw.  It may be more than the source you intended to originally use will support.  I ran into issues with my hatch door system and AMP draw.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2013, 09:25:04 pm »
Thanks for that, i do plan on using stop switches aswell.

I am just having alot of trouble with the dimensions at this point.
Since the monitor is so large i am going to have to rout out 4mm top botton let and right just  to fit the disc in, and i am also designing a custom mount ontop of that.

Its going to be a tight fit, there is still a chance it may not all fit, but i am not giving up until i have exhausted all options.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2013, 09:52:28 am »
Thanks for that, i do plan on using stop switches aswell.

I am just having alot of trouble with the dimensions at this point.
Since the monitor is so large i am going to have to rout out 4mm top botton let and right just  to fit the disc in, and i am also designing a custom mount ontop of that.

Its going to be a tight fit, there is still a chance it may not all fit, but i am not giving up until i have exhausted all options.

Rotating that monitor in that cab may prove difficult.  Usually cabs are built with rotation in mind and allow the use of it.  There was a gentleman on here who did a rotat similar to you but he had the disc rotate outside of the box.  Personally I don't think it looked good but it worked really well for him.  Something for you to think of.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2013, 07:12:56 am »
Hey,

Yes i did see that, thanks for bringing it up but if i had to do it that way i would leave it alone, as much as i am modifying the cabinet i still want to have an arcade feel and that would kill it for me.

But other news work has begun muahahaha!

So here is my design. the sketch is horrible but i thought i would share it anyways!

The Idea is the monitor will be sandwiched between Wood mount 1 & 2.
Mount 1 will have be routed from the back as the monitor will be screwed to it backwards as it can not go the other way as i am restricted but size.
Then it will be drilled into mount 2 creating the sandwich effect that will hold the monitor in place.

Mount 1 will have a diameter of the outside of the RIM
Mount 2 will have the diameter of the inside of the RIM.

When mount 1 & 2 are secured together it will be able to slot perfectly inside the rim.
It will be held into place using tekscrews through the spoke holes.

This will then fit inside the existing cavity by routing out a small amount of the internal surround 3mm on each edge.
The whole thing will be held into place by 4 Rollerblade wheels that fit perfectly inside the rim and offer a fluid movement.

All that aside let the work begin, i wont be able to go any further till the following week as its mothers day this weekend and need to do something special for the wife.

All i did this weekend was measure plan measure plan  made sure it all was going to fit, once all that was over it was time to cut a perfect circle.....

Yeah right i am no wood worker this calls for some cheating!!!!
I decided i would make myself a router jig, was simple enough just get  some wood cut it to size route it out so i could get the required depth then drill some holes to keep it steady and the required size. This will allow me to have my perfect circles !!!

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 01:46:12 pm
  • Can u guess what game this image is from?
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2013, 11:17:12 am »
Holy cats! This is your 1st build?! I'm embarrassed, you're so far beyond what I'm capable of doing! I can barely dream of what you've already accomplished! Keep up the fantastic work, I love your philosophy, & document document document for those of us who have to steal!
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2013, 01:39:11 pm »
Yaksplat did a write up on cutting circles/radius that you might find usefull - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,121083.msg1284333.html#msg1284333

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2013, 08:43:35 pm »
Thanks All, for your input its nice to have some encouragement but this will be a slow build.

I spend about an hour aday every day looking at the hall of fame, i know i will never be in there but i can dream!

Who knows i might come up with enough cool concepts to wedge my way in there one day!

I am addicted to this machine and sadly i don't want it to come to an end, its still got along way to go and with kids its hard to get the time.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2013, 07:16:55 am »
So while i am unable to continue work on my monitor till the following weekend as by the time i get home to kids are in bed and drill will = me sleeping in a car. I decided i would continue to work on the Computer side.

Currently the machine has dual Ethernet ports as your performance online games sucks via wireless.
However this got me thinking why would wireless suck so bad?

This called for some investigation with some equipment sadly i can not show in this post.
Turns out the reason being is the quality of the antennas used in Wireless cards.

A mixture of DB build quality and most of all tuning is what it appeared to come down to.
Well me being me and luckily enough to work in the RF Game i had a number of things to use testing wise.

So i introduce to you the winner and the new Antenna that will be mounted on my cab hidden from view.

I have the same connection speed ping and gameplay wireless as i do wired!
The price is not cheap, but come on we cant skimp out on this now can we!
Having a Unity Gain is just perfect!
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-tech-trab24-49003p-6182.html

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2013, 08:39:39 am »
Family comes first man so take your time, the journey is often the best part.

As for RF/Antenna, don't forget that many of today's house hold products create interference on the 2.4Ghz band.  Without doing a detailed spectrum analysis you may not know if you're resolving the true issue.  The antenna's on cards are weak, no doubt, but just be careful.  Old Microwave's have been known to annihilate Belkin routers.

The best part about BYOAC is that it's a community that encourages it's members to build what they want.  Sometimes feedback given can be negative but most of the time it stems from what others have experienced first hand.  You're mentioning wireless so I'm assuming you're either going to be playing PC games or console games.  Neither of which in all honest you will be playing for very long.  No matter how we try, Console/PC games just don't translate to an arcade cabinet.  They require more "finesse" and "detail" and as such can be significantly longer than your average arcade game.  As such, you don't want to stand that entire time or sit on an awkward bar stool.  Controls also can be quite difficult to map correctly for things like analog sticks, etc.

I've built console games into cabinets before but I don't do it anymore.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2013, 10:06:08 am »
Like always anything i do/create  is free to anyone if you want this modified driver its yours pm me

Hey thanks for your input i take everything on board,
I agree with the PC games on Arcades, however i have a few tricks up my sleeve that i wanted to save but i will bring to light.

The purpose for my stupidly powerful arcade machines was to be able to play games that are un-emulated but also the new.

The arcade machine has full wireless support, it has 4x wireless Xbox 360 controllers, now the issue i faced was they only work on Windows XP 32.

A 64bit driver was never released for XP, so i had to write my own, took awhile but it works flawlessly, this with Xpadder allows me to play those games but as you said who wants to stand there for hours on end.

When i play the machine it with mates over a beer or ten.

Now i am a NBA-Jam fan the thing i loved about the arcades was team work, i feel this has been lost in translation in today's games.

I am a Counter-strike fan have loved the game forever but it was something you could not play two player.

So i figured wouldn't it be fun to have someone use a xbox360 controller to run around jump duck etc and another to use a NAMCO recoil gun to shoot.

Takes boom headshot to a whole new level.

This is why i created to recoil circuit, it allowed a person to get off the required rounds and make use of machine guns.
I know this may sound a little silly and not fun. But man it is fun.

Blind drunk on the internet with your mates shooting people, the accuracy is so so good because you are completely ready for it.

Here is a short video i filmed of the controller working my wife was not home to show how it all unfolds 2 player.
The video is horrible i would create a new one but i have everything apart

Like always anything i do/create  is free to anyone if you want this modified driver its yours pm me
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:08:07 am by epicfatigue »

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2013, 02:35:01 pm »
THIS is a slow build?! Then mine is positively glacial! Having said that, I'll add, don't let the slowness discourage u. If I ever reveal how long I spent on that 'kvasar dream mask' (google it), people'll wonder what the heck's wrong with me.
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2013, 09:15:18 am »
Hey everyone, so while i am waiting to get back to work on my machine (its killing me waiting) i am looking for some advice.

My current control panel has 8 buttons per player, i will be dropping 2 per player as i am unaware of any games where i would need this many.
I find it feels to tight while playing two player, and i am tossing up about maybe removing the original and creating my own CP to slide in so i can have a little more room and maybe even add a track ball.

I am worried if i do this i will detract from the original arcade feel.

What are your thoughts?
Why is it so cramped, have i gotten fat in my old age?
Are there many good games out there that would make use of a track ball?
Will i need more then 6 buttons for games?
Should i extend the cp?

Thanks all?

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2013, 10:16:30 am »
What are your thoughts?
Why is it so cramped, have i gotten fat in my old age?
Will i need more then 6 buttons for games?
Should i extend the cp?

Thanks all?
- The CP has not much space to rest your hand palms.
- 6 buttons is enough but for NeoGeo games you could want 4 in a row (therefore I use 7 buttons myself)
- I guess you could use some admin buttons (Exit, Pause, ...)

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2013, 10:55:01 am »
Hey i think thats exactly my problem i get a sore wrist when playing.
As for console buttons, i am using a Ipac so i can hold Player 1 button and that gives me more the enough extras.

I Hate the fact i have to put the start buttons down the bottom.
However i am finding it hard to in-vision making a new CP how it would sit etc.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2013, 10:27:03 am »

...R there?! Check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trackball_arcade_games

& note the line that says 'this list is incomplete'.
Professor Hayashida

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2013, 10:58:10 pm »
Yes there are some good games in there, but i am still tossing and turning about the idea of throwing one it.
I want to avoid that mame feeling control panel but at the same time i want to be able to play it without having a sore wrist!

So if i were to modify the CP i think i would lean more towards doing it this way.

The only thing that concearns me is i will have to be very careful as to how far i bring it out. (i don't want it to come out a mile)
Just enough to sit my 2 joys and 6 buttons each.

The thing that always made this cabinet though was how the front extended with it, if i was to do this i think i might have to move the front out a little. but i would rather not!
What do you guys think?

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2013, 04:44:41 am »
Well guys after a week of hard thinking i think i am going to go with the above control panel and extend the bottom of my machine just alittle to give it that bulky look!

This will fix my control panel problem of having no where to rest my hands and will give me the added room to get a track ball and 2x servo sticks.

Then i will have an auto rotating monitor along side auto 4 to 8 way.

Could i have anyones thoughts on going with this style of control panel?

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2013, 10:46:07 am »
Honestly, with all the work you are putting into the electronics in this machine, I feel that the cab you picked up is totally inadequate for what your wanting to do. Cabs like that with that style CP lend themselves perfectly to the very classic titles and not much else. I would do a simple MAME machine with that or just thow in a 60in1 or 19in1 in that particular cab. If I were you, I would scratch build the cab for this project and get exactly what you want. Just don't go crazy with the CP.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2013, 04:58:30 am »
Honestly, with all the work you are putting into the electronics in this machine, I feel that the cab you picked up is totally inadequate for what your wanting to do. Cabs like that with that style CP lend themselves perfectly to the very classic titles and not much else. I would do a simple MAME machine with that or just thow in a 60in1 or 19in1 in that particular cab. If I were you, I would scratch build the cab for this project and get exactly what you want. Just don't go crazy with the CP.

Thanks for your input, sadily arcade shells in Australia start at 600 with nothing in them machine like a mk2 with a large monitor your looking at 3k.

I know my machine is alittle on the small side having a 20inch WG but for me its perfect, it fits through a door way, i can have it in my house without consuming a whole room. (i rent) it suits my needs. :)

Plus money is an issue, i was more asking input about the style of cp, because its not hard to make a new one, i just notice everyone seems to go these really curvy style and just wanted to see what people thought of the classic fighting style.

But in other news i got some time today to work on my rotating monitor here is a little update :)

Today i managed to cut the inside and outside part to my design of the rotating monitor, i created a nice little lip on the wood for the inside of the bike rim to allow it to sit nice and flush.

Its a very small lip only 2mm but its perfect

Here is the two parts side by side.

A view from the back without the rim.

A view from the back with the rim!

And finally a view from the top with the rim.

Im pretty happy with how it came out, the photos dont do it justice it was taken with my Phone and it was covered in MDF dust! evil &**(& that is!
If i get alitle more time this week i will try and cut out the monitor and rout out the face plate for it.

I feel i did well for an newbie to wood work, first thing i have done in 15 years.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2013, 10:50:29 am »
For what my opinion is worth (very little), I think you're doing an amazing job!

I take it swappable control panels r out of the question?
Professor Hayashida

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2013, 12:32:46 pm »
I'm not trying to be negative, I just think that all your cool ideas might work better if you designed and built your own cab for it. It would be easier to get the monitor rotating and you could get your CP just how you like it. Your talking about modifying the control panel and the base of the cabinet, that could get tricky. Then you will have a lot of bondo work ect... All I'm saying is you have a lot of creative ideas, and going the custom cab route will give you more freedom than trying to make the cab you have suit. Just a suggestion.... Awesome thread and great work!

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
  • Remember those big 10ps?
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2013, 01:30:51 pm »
I'm not trying to be negative, I just think that all your cool ideas might work better if you designed and built your own cab for it. It would be easier to get the monitor rotating and you could get your CP just how you like it. Your talking about modifying the control panel and the base of the cabinet, that could get tricky. Then you will have a lot of bondo work ect... All I'm saying is you have a lot of creative ideas, and going the custom cab route will give you more freedom than trying to make the cab you have suit. Just a suggestion.... Awesome thread and great work!

I have to say I'm in complete agreement Orion & others above here. What you have done so far is excellent and you are clearly up to the job. So for the sake of a few more days and bit more designing and cutting you could have a custom cab Just how you want it. That being said, Excellent work so far especially on the rotation plate, Very nice.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2013, 07:52:06 pm »
Hey thanks all for your comments and encouragement, i would love to build my own cab and i hope to one day but i am in love with this one and it isnt worth anything to sell as it has alot of damage, The front where the coin box sits has been kicked in and needs replacing and the side lower panel has been kicked off aswell, and the issues with the control panel above being cut into a million bits.

I am already in for alot of repair work, but i want to keep a bit of history alive with it, plus the machine was made the year i was born, 1987.

So if i was to replace the front repair the side and rebuild the same control panel i thought maybe i would just do some minor changes to it, i didn't think it would be overly hard to make the changes i was thinking, (maybe i am wrong).

For what my opinion is worth (very little), I think you're doing an amazing job!

Thanks mate, no my panel will be switchable but mainly if i didn't like the modification i did i would like to be able to take it back to its original form.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2013, 09:56:25 pm »
Well i could not help myself so i had to have a quick look and make sure my measurements were correct.

So i quickly took the monitor out and is just as i thought!.

Perfect fit, i just have to take out 2mm either corner of the disc and it will fit nice and snug :)

this gives everyone a little idea of how it will look

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2013, 05:55:16 pm »
Hey thanks all for your comments and encouragement, i would love to build my own cab and i hope to one day but i am in love with this one and it isnt worth anything to sell as it has alot of damage, The front where the coin box sits has been kicked in and needs replacing and the side lower panel has been kicked off aswell, and the issues with the control panel above being cut into a million bits.

I am already in for alot of repair work, but i want to keep a bit of history alive with it, plus the machine was made the year i was born, 1987.

So if i was to replace the front repair the side and rebuild the same control panel i thought maybe i would just do some minor changes to it, i didn't think it would be overly hard to make the changes i was thinking, (maybe i am wrong).

Thanks mate, no my panel will be switchable but mainly if i didn't like the modification i did i would like to be able to take it back to its original form.

Lol, that's why I had suggested you 60in1 that cab, and build a scratch cab this project... OK I just wanted to see two cool projects!  I know what you mean about getting a bit sentimental with a cabinet. I have a Galaxian machine that was manufactured on my 7th birthday. I will never part with that machine. Anyway I am really enjoying this project, as you are doing some cool and different things with it.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2013, 10:09:47 pm »
Thanks Orion,

Its always been a curse of mine to try and reinvent the wheel, i just like to have something i own and be able to say i designed and built that!

Hope to have the monitor in next week, just going to be researching what wheels i will be using as mounts, still a little undecided i will try and few different ones, want it to be fluid as when it spins, and i am also working on my controller for the motor, i dont have a Printer port, so i will be building a USB controller, i know i can get a PCI Printer port but have to think for the future.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2013, 07:53:43 am »
So slowly over the last 2 days i have been chiseling out the 3mm either side so the plate is able to slip it,
I just have to sand it back and make it nice and tidy now.

I am looking at the types of wheels and mounting methods, once i find something that suits it will be time to pull it all out and install the monitor into the mounting place.

Here is a few pictures.
Please note it does need a tidy and the original face plate will not be used.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2013, 11:30:47 am »
So, it'll be a really big challenge to extend those side/make the CP bigger.  I'm not going to come right out and say it's impossible, but I will re-itterate what others have said, you would be better building a cab from scratch if you wanted to do that.

Now back to your progress.  You had me for a sec with the old monitor bezel.  I was like, NO WAY that turned that way inside the cabinet and then I was like OHH, he just picked it up and turned it lol.  Looking good and glad to see you get your rotating system up and running.

Keep rocking!

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2013, 07:18:26 pm »
So, it'll be a really big challenge to extend those side/make the CP bigger.  I'm not going to come right out and say it's impossible, but I will re-itterate what others have said, you would be better building a cab from scratch if you wanted to do that.

Now back to your progress.  You had me for a sec with the old monitor bezel.  I was like, NO WAY that turned that way inside the cabinet and then I was like OHH, he just picked it up and turned it lol.  Looking good and glad to see you get your rotating system up and running.

Keep rocking!

Haha Thanks, well now 3 people have said its going to be hard and i am better of building my own.... i have to do it now no matter how painful!
I have been working on my Monitor rotation program, its USB interfaced you just send command line and it turns one way then the other, but also turns the monitor off while doing it.

I am tinkering with a few other things as i have so many damn extra ports on this thing i cant let them go unused! im using a PIC18F4550 microcontroller.
Im going to move most of my stand alone electronics into it to consolidate them (which was always the plan) that way i will just have one custom manageable board in there that will be comprised of alot of transistors resistors and one controller, that way the only point of failure will be the Microcontroller and ill keep the Hex code on a usb stick inside.

Can anyone think of some neat things to put inside it?
I can do all kinds of things.

I was thinking maybe i would remove my coin counter circuit  and have have the Pic listen for 1 ,2,3 & 4 and when it hears them flick the counter, that way if i dont use the coin slot i still count my credits also frees up a tiny but of space!.

I Would also put my KVM into the PIC and remove the need for a 2x Relays and a Timer, that frees up a little more as-well.

For now i will build a simple circuit and finish the PIC off in the last stages as this will need alot of changing as time goes on, and when its all good and i am happy with it and i feel nothing more needs to be added i will etch a circuit board print it and then it will look the part.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2013, 09:53:36 pm »
Lol! I like your spirit! It's not just the difficulty your going to have modifying this cab and its control panel. Let me just say this, then I will shut up. You have a lot of creative ideas, damn cool ones as a matter of fact. I am afraid that the restrictions of modifying a pre exiting cab will limit some of the cool things you can do, that's all.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2013, 12:21:57 am »
Lol! I like your spirit! It's not just the difficulty your going to have modifying this cab and its control panel. Let me just say this, then I will shut up. You have a lot of creative ideas, damn cool ones as a matter of fact. I am afraid that the restrictions of modifying a pre exiting cab will limit some of the cool things you can do, that's all.

ahah thanks mate,

When the time is right i will be building my own machine is see this happening in a few years, but it will be a monster and i hope to make my way in the hall of fame with it.

As for this one its my learning curve, and i can not see any restrictions holding me back from my ideas, as i will just sit on it for a few days and come up with a solution, my curse is i am thinking all the time, this project is just keeping me focused on one thing which is good.

i finally picked up a heap of things during the week and am looking forward to getting some time on the weekend to execute some more work and upload some pictures!

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2013, 07:37:54 pm »
woot the weekend is here and its time to get back into it just waiting for the rain to stop.

While i was waiting i made an executive decision to take off the water cooler, the cooler was nice but i didnt like the idea of the pump failing one day and loose a system over it, and my plans of how its going to be mounted would be risky with 240v.

However i got a better cooler the only downside is the size, but over all it had a positive effect lowing vrm temps and mb temps and even CPU temps.

Having it sit flush against my my nb cooler even reduced its temps. WIN WIN

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2013, 12:40:33 am »
So rain stopped for a little and i got the rim mounted in, now all i need to do is measure correctly for the monitor cut it out and mount it in. Here is how it is looking.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2013, 11:50:28 am »
Hey--those 4 wheels mounted around the rim--r they...roller skate wheels?
Professor Hayashida

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2013, 08:18:44 pm »
Hey, yes they are rollerblade wheels, got 8 of them with dual bearings for $4.00 from the op shop.
They sit nicely in the rim and they have a fluid movement. Couldn't ask for better wheels for the job.

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2013, 06:06:11 am »
So did so it came to the time of cutting out the hole to fit the crt inside, and i sat down to it but with one small problem, i had a 20cm ruler....

I couldnt let this stand in my way, was not going to happen so the answer to my problem, TRIANGLES LOTS OF TRIANGLES.

Funny thing is it was the most accurate measurements i have ever taken, it all added up perfectly and was not even 1 mm out.
I have decided to not use the original backplate i would rather reinforce it with some stronger wood.
So the mounting will have to wait, here is a little look thus far.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2013, 08:48:37 pm »
Triangles, that's too funny! I will never take my tape measure for granted ever again... That rotating monitor is starting to come together. Looking good!

epicfatigue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2013, 09:02:02 pm »
Triangles, that's too funny! I will never take my tape measure for granted ever again... That rotating monitor is starting to come together. Looking good!

Have to to the best with what you got sometimes, i tell you what it built up my confidence at measuring something.
Who knew that Maths we learnt back in school all those years ago would pay off!

Last night i purchased some ceder wood, i will be creating a frame with lap-joints to reinforce the monitor surround.
I also decided to create another disc to go on the back, i doubt it will be needed, but i want this to last, and it to be quality.

I hope to get alot done in the next few days as i will have a night to myself this week so its time to get stuck into it!