Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Outrun possibilities  (Read 5325 times)

myntik1

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2021, 12:03:28 pm
  • I'm part Jerry Lee and part Jerry Lee Lewis
Outrun possibilities
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:08:56 am »
I have an outrun ur cab sans pcb.  I've been trying in vain to get a board for under $200 with no luck.  I'm thinking about making it into a driving mame.  Does anyone have any links or info on the best way to do this and keep it mostly original.  I'm not a purist, I would rather not part out a perfectly solid machine.

Thanks
full-time sucker for part-time pay

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:37:41 pm
Re: Outrun possibilities
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:21:35 am »
Lots of info in the Driving Cab Info thread stickied at the top of this forum.

For your situation, I'd recommend an Ultimarc U-HID http://www.u-hid.com/home/index.php as the interface.
It supposed to work with the original arcade potentiometers, but there have been a few reports of the A-Pac (ultimarc's other analog interface) not working with 5k pots and newer versions of MAME. 
So there is a possibility you'd end up haing to switch out the potentiometers for higher value ones.
If you can find connectors that plug into your current wiring, you won't have to modify anything.

The reason that I recommend the U-HID is that it's pins can be configured as outputs.
With outputs and Howard Costa's MAMEhooker software, you could have your lights and rumble motor work as they did originally.

The A-Pac is simpler to install if you aren't worried about the light and shaker motor.  Those will only work in a couple games anyway.
http://www.ultimarc.com/a-pac.html

Look in the monitor sub-forum for info on interfacing with the original monitor.
I've never done that and can't be much help.   :-\

myntik1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2021, 12:03:28 pm
  • I'm part Jerry Lee and part Jerry Lee Lewis
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:26:24 am »
Thank you.  I was having an information overload.

I just want to play pp 1, pp2, outrub type stuff from the early to mid 80s.
full-time sucker for part-time pay

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:36:29 am »
Thank you.  I was having an information overload.

I just want to play pp 1, pp2, outrub type stuff from the early to mid 80s.

Pole Position and other games that used wheels that spun all the way around (360 degree wheels) won't work well on cabs with 270 degree wheels.
Pole Position in particular is almost impossible to play because when you wreck, the game changes the center point of the steering wheel to whatever position it is on.  So if the wheel is turned all the way right when you wreck, that is now center....and you can't turn any farther right.  This isn't a problem for steering wheels that can spin all the way around.

With the Outrun Hardware, you'll pretty much be limited to 270 degree wheel games.
There is a spreadsheet in the stickied info thread that lists all the driving games and what type of steering wheel they used. (the ones that say POT are 270 degree)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArE1chsgHXQodDd2ckdjLVY3Ujlad2tZWUpteDNtcXc&authkey=CIrIhMwE&hl=en&authkey=CIrIhMwE
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:41:49 am by BadMouth »

isamu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 11:18:08 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 05:35:57 am »

Pole Position and other games that used wheels that spun all the way around (360 degree wheels) won't work well on cabs with 270 degree wheels.
Pole Position in particular is almost impossible to play because when you wreck, the game changes the center point of the steering wheel to whatever position it is on.  So if the wheel is turned all the way right when you wreck, that is now center....and you can't turn any farther right.  This isn't a problem for steering wheels that can spin all the way around.

Man, talk about learning something new everyday! Was completely oblivious to this fact.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:18:26 pm »
Man, talk about learning something new everyday! Was completely oblivious to this fact.
You could play a dreamcast emulator running the Namco Museum, and play PolePosition on that. I have a Dreamcast in my ShoRyuKade and play it all the time with a controller, its not bad!
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 04:06:25 pm »
I'm in the same boat, have an Outrun upright with no boards and no monitor. I am looking more towards this project: Cannonball (http://reassembler.blogspot.com/) for the "brain" as I love the idea of custom Outrun courses. He also just implemented analog controls and force feedback, using a Logitech MOMO wheel to test... which happens to be the same wheel I purchased to maybe use in a driving cab. Just need to figure out how practical it is to interface a USB PC wheel guts to an arcade wheel (but probably not the original wheel- like most folks my plastic gears in the CP are busted).  Now I just need to convince the Cannonball programmer to implement custom hair colors for the driving companion... I'd rather drive with a brunette like I do IRL.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:20:48 pm by Well Fed Games »
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 04:30:14 pm »
He also just implemented analog controls and force feedback

:woot

He's added a lot since I last checked.

RamjetR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2021, 03:27:58 am
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 05:21:11 pm »
I'm in the same boat, have an Outrun upright with no boards and no monitor. I am looking more towards this project: Cannonball (http://reassembler.blogspot.com/) for the "brain" as I love the idea of custom Outrun courses. He also just implemented analog controls and force feedback, using a Logitech MOMO wheel to test... which happens to be the same wheel I purchased to maybe use in a driving cab. Just need to figure out how practical it is to interface a USB PC wheel guts to an arcade wheel (but probably not the original wheel- like most folks my plastic gears in the CP are busted.  Now I just need to convince the Cannonball programmer to implement custom hair colors for the driving companion... I'd rather drive with a brunette like I do IRL.  ;D

Wow! just freakin wow... now thats an effort! I'm very impressed with his project not to mention his progress in it!
Gentlemen.... Start your engines!
My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/ramjetr?feature=mhee
Try my RamjetM2Borderless V0.7 utility for your M2Emulator shooting games here https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-P3wlCiYEm3RzhCZk1NcFR3blE
Try my Sega Model 2 Output Utility RamjetVR V1.4 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-P3wlCiYEm3VHhBMXNxZGVIQk0/edit

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 06:47:59 pm »
I intend to help yt with this project as soon as I get time. Not that he needs much help mind you... the amount of additions he's done over the period of a single month has been amazing.  I'll attempt to fix the issues some are having with FF and fix the control issues.  Probably throw mamehooker support in there as well if he approves. 

Unfortunately there's only one of me.  Next project is to get that long overdue mamehooker release out.  Then I'll have to decide if I go that hacker route and work on making FF effects for outrun 2k6 and similar games, or go back to my shelved mamedev work and implement outputs for outrun in the official mame build and maybe get a better shifter implementation for hi/low shifter games. 

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 09:08:53 am »
You could play a dreamcast emulator running the Namco Museum, and play PolePosition on that. I have a Dreamcast in my ShoRyuKade and play it all the time with a controller, its not bad!

Ahh interesting, I'll try that! Thanks for the HU! :)

He also just implemented analog controls and force feedback, using a Logitech MOMO wheel to test...

DaFuq????????????????????

*runs out of this thread to test this project asap*

I'll have to decide if I go that hacker route and work on making FF effects for outrun 2k6 and similar games,

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 09:57:27 am »
Just tried Cannonball and i can't get it to launch. Double clicking the icon does absolutely nothing. Roms are in the roms folder. Running Windows 7 64bit

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 10:04:24 am »
nevermind I got it....had to unzip the rol  :dizzy: