Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "The 90's Arcade Racer" kickstarter - interesting game in development  (Read 99025 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: "The 90's Arcade Racer" kickstarter - interesting game in development
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2014, 05:36:16 pm »
Nice update.  Although obviously this isn't a AAA title I find it interesting that the Wii U can run a pc game without any major modifications even though it's "doomed" and "underpowered" ect. 

I just hope this doesn't turn into "90's arcade racer forever" and we have to wait forever for a release.

Nuexzz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2014, 10:16:51 pm »
these pictures are still in development of the game and that's why you do not see the time the speedometer turns, etc..
That is very worrying for all you need for your release  :dunno

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:18:08 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2014, 01:27:51 pm »
Seems like it's gonna be a while longer but it's all good. Still trying to save up for another ffb wheel so let them take their time. We don't want a rushed game of this magnitude. There's always GRID 2 in the mean time  :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2014, 12:35:05 am »
I'm just worried that they'll keep delaying it and in the meantime technology will pass them by and it'll be extremely dated by the time it's released. 

So long as it's out this year it'll be ok, but the Unity engine is already showing signs of age, believe it or not.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2014, 02:22:42 am »
I'm just worried that they'll keep delaying it and in the meantime technology will pass them by and it'll be extremely dated by the time it's released. 
I understand what you're saying, but I find it a funny concept that a game which tries to mimic '90s racers might be dated  ;D

If the current Unity engine can produce a smooth 60fps with this game, I'm not really concerned. Newer engines may support newer features but the 90s racer isn't about realistic fluid dynamics and destructable terrain. It's not like Duke Nukem where they had to compete with first person shooters available at the same time- this game must "feel" like an arcade racer with 90s aesthetics.
I'm not really sure what your main concern is?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2014, 10:22:57 am »
The truth is that most kickstarter games only partially deliver.
http://evilasahobby.com/2014/01/18/kickstander-only-around-a-third-of-kickstarted-video-game-projects-fully-deliver-to-their-backers/

I have faith in Antonis though.  He has worked for Sega doing the type of lush, vibrant artwork that's missing in today's racing games.
He also appears to have a passion for this type of game and understand how important the feel of the controls is.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:24:28 am by BadMouth »

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2014, 12:28:55 pm »
The truth is that most kickstarter games only partially deliver.
http://evilasahobby.com/2014/01/18/kickstander-only-around-a-third-of-kickstarted-video-game-projects-fully-deliver-to-their-backers/
Sad truth. So far I'm lucky to have backed succesful projects. Though there is one project which is only a set of dice which so far took twice as long as two full featured boardgames (also with custom dice and other parts). So some Kickstarters are simply badly managed.

I have faith in Antonis though.  He has worked for Sega doing the type of lush, vibrant artwork that's missing in today's racing games.
He also appears to have a passion for this type of game and understand how important the feel of the controls is.
Yeah, I have faith in this project as well. The first impressions showed that he knows and loves the source material and he knows how to work with Unity (thus not batteling the engine but instead able to focus on the gameplay and features).

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2014, 03:31:13 pm »
What worries me is the lack of a firm time table.  It didn't worry me at first, but as the months roll on....

Take it from somebody with infinite projects, loving the project can be a bad thing.  I've got stuff like mamehooker that I haven't released in a few years because I want it to be perfect and obsess over the details.  That's why I fear, not that he'll abandon the project, but that it'll be in production forever and in the mean time something similar will be released and we'll forget all about it. 

We aren't at that point yet, but the "sometime this year" blurb worries me. 

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2014, 02:03:52 am »
Take it from somebody with infinite projects, loving the project can be a bad thing.
Oh yes... the number of Visual Studio projects on my harddrive... number of unpainted wargame miniatures... arcade schematics... the list is endless. I know exactly what you mean.

It would be good for this project to get some insights in their project planning (or scrum-backlist or whatever they use) to get some insights in where time is going. I backed a kickstarter where they had weekly updates and stated the plans for the upcoming week. It gave me as a backer a lot of faith in that they knew what they were doing and it provided also insight in what challenges they faced.

The project is being built on top of Unity and the team porting Unity to Wii U have obviously been doing a great job; that alone has made our part of getting running on Wii U much easier than expected. Of course, the process hasn't been without it's fair share of challenges. Without getting into minutia that we're probably not allowed to share in great detail, some things that worked on PC couldn't be ported exactly over to Wii U without affecting performance on the Nintendo console--and probably other consoles, too.
I was wondering, if they're working on the Wii-U port and from what I understood from the update it required moving the project to a Wii-U compatible Unity environment. So it sounds to me as if they needed to branch the project. Shouldn't that be an indication that 90% of the work is done? I mean otherwise they have to implement things twice or at least move bits of code/modules between those environments? I don't understand why they would develop that in parallel instead of moving the PC version first, get it out there and work on the Wii-U/other consoles ports.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:58:32 am
« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2014, 03:06:51 am »
[...] I've got stuff like mamehooker that I haven't released in a few years because I want it to be perfect and obsess over the details.  [...]

Soooooo ... you are still working on mamehooker! That's a scoop!  :D

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2014, 05:58:13 pm »
Yeah I posted a update in the software forum... asked for volunteers.... crickets.  So it goes back on the shelf for now. 

I think that the deal with the Wii U port is that is where they intend to make their money.  People seem to think that pc game sales are healthy, I assure you they are not.  Storefronts like steam don't rapidly drop the prices on games because they want to, they do so because interest drops off dramatically after just a few weeks.  Even a "dud" like the Wii U is primed for better sales numbers.  I know the Mighty Switch Force guys made a small fortune off of their Wii U sales. 

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:58:32 am
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2014, 03:20:11 am »
Yeah I posted a update in the software forum... asked for volunteers.... crickets.  So it goes back on the shelf for now. 

I am a "driving & racing"-only subforum follower, so i couldn't see the update on "software" subforum  ;D

Glad to help within my limits  ;)

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2014, 01:07:19 am »
as much I hate rubbing salt on a wound, i just notice that they release video back on feb 13th with some gameplay footage that wasnt posted here. i thought I would share. skip to to the one min mark for game play footage. But other than that, they still been silent since February :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2014, 01:20:43 am »
Yeah it was getting me worried before.  When the game is this far along it shouldn't that that long for a release.  We might have one of these guys that want to tinker with the game forever until it's no longer relevant. 

I'm still waiting though... ready to buy it when it comes out. 

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2014, 09:56:01 am »
as much I hate rubbing salt on a wound, i just notice that they release video back on feb 13th with some gameplay footage that wasnt posted here. i thought I would share. skip to to the one min mark for game play footage. But other than that, they still been silent since February :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Isn't that the exact video as seen on the kickstarter page (thus nothing new is shown?) I remember the "insert coin" fade at the end.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2014, 10:34:01 am »
Isn't that the exact video as seen on the kickstarter page (thus nothing new is shown?) I remember the "insert coin" fade at the end.

Yup, from way before the kickstarter campaign even ended.  Nothing new has been posted in quite some time.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2014, 04:23:02 pm »
Hey All, I was having a bit of search around to see if I could unearth any new tidbits of information about this game, seeing as everything seems to have gone so quiet on the official update front. Nothing new to report unfortunately, but I did stumble across this image which I hadn't seen before (although it's not new in itself), so I thought it was worth posting here. If Pelikan13 is still aiming for a mid 2014 release hopefully we'll get some news soon...

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:18:08 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2014, 04:45:36 pm »
Good job unearthing that pic  :applaud:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2014, 08:53:48 am »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer/posts

Update #14 ℹ

May 7 2014

'90s Arcade Racer and Nailing Every Part of the Game

We've have been quite for a while on the '90s Arcade Racer front and there are a few (good) reasons why.

First, the game has taken on a life of itself and we really want to get it just right. Yes, there are a number of racing games coming, but none have really taken on the idea of reviving an era that we both love and find the most appealing in the genre. To be more specific, we've found that as we continue to polish the game, its visual style, a physics model we're happy with, everything else needs to be powered-up so to speak.

We know we have something special with '90s and we want it all to be special, every. single. part. of. the. game! With that said, we've secretly been trying to get some of the best talent for basically every aspect of development, even if it means we need more time .

One of the aspects of the game we really haven't spoken much about, but have put a lot of time and effort into getting just right is audio. Neither of us are audio experts so to speak, but we have found one!

The engine work and accompanying game sound effects are going to be handled by Stafford Bawler. That name probably means nothing to you, but it should! He's working on everything from Dirt, GRiD and Forza to Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. He's that good. We're already working with him to create some really amazing, authentic and very dynamic sounds that you'll hear in the finished product.

You can follow Stafford on Twitter: @StaffordBawler

The other area we haven't talked much about is music. We've received so many requests to enlist Takenobu Mitsuyoshi (famous for Daytona USA). But, unfortunately for us, he's still employed by SEGA. However, we do know a number of really amazing musicians who have taken on the cause of '90s Arcade Racer.

We're taking a different approach to '90s Arcade Racer and treating the soundtrack like a compilation of great music from great musicians. Each artist will be giving his or her take on what they feel the '90s sounded like and we'll announce each them as we progress through the final development of the game and near release. By the way, if you can convince Takenobu to do a track for '90s Arcade Racer, we're all for it!

We'll be announcing the first musician in the next couple of weeks with a tiny sample of his track.

As a reminder for anyone who hasn't followed our updates recently, our plans for '90s Arcade Racer were to launch on PC (via Steam) and Wii U and follow-up with mobile. However, given the prevalence of Unity 3D on PlayStation 4, PS Vita and Xbox One, you can be sure we're trying to find a way to get the game on those platforms as well. However, we'd like to get the game out for backers on PC and players on Wii U first--you've been patiently waiting and we do want to give you the ride of your life.

Thanks for everything!

-tyrone

The engine work and accompanying game sound effects are going to be handled
Meaning they haven't been done yet.....

I need to see the BYOAC logo in some gameplay footage to get excited about this again.
What did I spend money on a year and a half ago?

I hope the music has that Sega vibe instead of just being a bunch of random indie bands trying to get their music out there.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:23:32 pm by BadMouth »

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2014, 09:20:42 am »
I need to see the BYOAC logo in some gameplay footage to get excited about this again. What did I spend money on a year and a half ago?

This, 100x. I'm excited to see what progress has been made. So far, it's not blowing my skirt up.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2014, 12:13:06 pm »
Their inexperience in management is just showing it's head that's all.  I doubt I could do better, but they should have been working on the sound design all along.  You don't work on one bit, and then start on the next when you are done unless you are doing the entire game single-handedly.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2014, 01:11:03 pm »
When Pelikan 13 and Nicalis said they needed more time to fine-tune the physics of the game I was very much in the take-all-the-time-you-need-to-get-it-right camp. Now, almost 6 months later than the original estimated finish date, it feels like they are starting to take the piss... I think another part of the problem is that they're just playing their cards too close to their chest, they need to get some gameplay videos out there, something to get people interested in this again.

I hope the music has that Sega vibe instead of just being a bunch of random indie bands trying to get their music out there.

Yeah, no to indie bands. I'd like this to have a Scud Race type feel to it's soundtrack. I wonder what Richard Jacques is up to at the moment...?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:44:38 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2014, 01:55:27 pm »
I give it two weeks before they start rattling the tin cup again. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2014, 10:46:58 pm »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/896834116/the-90s-arcade-racer/posts
Hello everyone,

for this update I would like to address some concerns and share a few more screenshots from some of the game's new cars and tracks.

I have received several emails asking about the game's release date and why we haven't shown any gameplay videos yet. There is nobody that wants the game released more than we do and we are working hard to make it happen.There are still some areas that need work and I've kept postponing any gameplay videos until we are happy with what we are showing. I understand that the people that helped fund this project want to be more involved in the development process but I feel that releasing unpolished or rough material can do more harm than good. It's a fine line and I apologize if some people feel left out.

Also we'll make sure that everyone who doesn't use Steam will be able to receive his copy.

.....and

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2014, 04:51:13 pm »
Great to see a new update so close on the heels of the last one. That last screen shot is interesting, looks like a whole new environment we've not seen before (and a very Outrun-esque one at that).

Barry Barcrest

• I'm only in it for the lack of money
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2021, 09:54:17 am
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2014, 10:01:21 am »
That last image I assume is an unlockable easter egg in the game?

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
« Reply #146 on: June 06, 2014, 07:57:47 pm »
Love the new screenshots! Especially that last one. Also looks like it may have some sort of scanline effects?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2014, 04:56:15 pm »
Hello everyone,

we've received a few complaints from backers so for this update I would like to let people know exactly at what stage the game is right now.

The game's art, design and audio is pretty much complete and only in need of some polish which means we are behind when it comes to code, we had some trouble mainly with the AI and we had to scrap a lot of code and start fresh. Unfortunately for a small team like us that means a few months of work and a delayed release date.

Because of the advanced stage of the game's art and design during the summer I took on some contract work which ended last week, this is part of the reason why it's been so long since my last update and i apologise for that.

So braking things down here is where the projects stands now:

-The art and design is complete, all the tracks, frontend menus and items are in game.

-The audio is about 80% done, everything is in game and working but in need of some polish.

-The AI as mentioned above has given us a lot of problems, we decided to scrap the work done so far and start from scratch with a new programmer.

-Physics and car handling has been the most challenging part and we will continue to tweak and refine it until the game's release.

Considering how things have turned out for us it would be unwise to give another release date, but we will as soon as we are confident.

Thank you!

Antonis

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2014, 05:05:02 pm »
he should give the beta to the high paying backers, so everyone knows it not vaporware.  I dont want this game to take so long coming out that it has to be renamed  the 2000s racer :/
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2014, 05:09:31 pm »
Pretty annoying for such a brief update after months of nothing. He's got our money already so doesn't seem to care much. It only takes 5 minutes to write a quick update every now and then

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2014, 05:15:11 pm »
Their inexperience in management is just showing it's head that's all.  I doubt I could do better, but they should have been working on the sound design all along.  You don't work on one bit, and then start on the next when you are done unless you are doing the entire game single-handedly.

I have a feeling that they were waiting on doing the audio due to the new audio tools that were promised in unity 5 (not out yet.)

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2014, 05:15:58 pm »
he should give the beta to the high paying backers, so everyone knows it not vaporware.  I dont want this game to take so long coming out that it has to be renamed  the 2000s racer :/

Yeah, totally agree. At the rate they're currently going it wouldn't surprise me if we're still getting apologetic updates for the lack of a release this time next year... :banghead:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2014, 05:37:19 pm »
So has anyone seen actual footage of a car in motion?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2014, 05:16:45 pm »
So has anyone seen actual footage of a car in motion?

This was the earliest footage of the game, released about a year and three-quarters ago. It shows a bit of footage of the cars actually moving.

If you go back to Page 2 of this thread there's an interview with the developers, which shows a bit more footage of some of the tracks, but no new footage of cars actually racing on the tracks.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:15:23 pm
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2014, 07:25:46 pm »
Pretty annoying for such a brief update after months of nothing. He's got our money already so doesn't seem to care much. It only takes 5 minutes to write a quick update every now and then

This is why I don't give money to kickstarter after another thing I invested in didn't provide anything of value.

You have to remember, you are making a blind investment without any promise of a return.  Its a great idea, but there is no requirement for them to provide anything to the backers.  They could take your money, spend it on blow and then post "sorry, we ran out of money" and that's it. 

The concept is great - but the whole platform isn't clear enough to the people donating.  It needs like a huge disclaimer that says EXPECT NOTHING, IF YOU GET SOMETHING OUT OF THIS CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY. 

:)

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2014, 07:40:17 pm »
I think Kickstarter just changed some terms of use to stop that happening. They have to keep backers in the know if delayed and show where the money was spent etc

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:15:23 pm
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2014, 08:19:29 pm »
Well thats good.  I know a ton of good things have come out of kickstarter.  I love the idea.  There are just a lot of kinks to iron out...

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2014, 08:45:14 am »
The only things I've ever supported on kickstarter are this and the Artcade book.
Still waiting on both.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2014, 10:16:33 am »
The only things I've ever supported on kickstarter are this and the Artcade book.
Still waiting on both.

At least we know who's fault it is now :p
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: September 24, 2014, 10:23:55 am »
There's a bit of bad language in this, just in case anyone here's easily offended.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:38:48 am by MrThunderwing »