Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I've updated the tutorial...  (Read 2396 times)

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
I've updated the tutorial...
« on: August 04, 2003, 09:41:51 am »
......removed old message....

EDIT:  Well I have updated it - here is a quick link to it (it's 2MB).  

Saint or PlanetJay: can you replace the one on the 'downloads' section with this one?  Thanks :)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 03:13:06 pm by Frostillicus »

zorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2022, 09:00:38 am
Re:I'm updating the tutorial...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 11:37:25 am »
Also, of course, I included some info about the vector library and a shout out to Mametrix-reloaded for hosting, and some examples from 3dmacman and Eric aka Zorg.  Let me know if you guys don't want to be in the tutorial, I'm just assuming it's cool.

Wouch consecration, we'll be part of  the tutorial  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

just two note.

1) it's possible to trace using photoshop, the migty pen tool is available, and it has a feature that illustrator does'nt have. there's an option that allows you to see where the curve will go while you are tracing it. pretty usefull when you begin at this kind of game.

2) a section about program allowing to read/work on .ai and .eps files

(unix) sketch  http://sketch.sourceforge.net/ allows you to open and work on .ai and .eps files is also able to save as illustrator files.
(unix)Killustrator and the new Karbon14 http://www.koffice.org/karbon/ not yet available, but will allow to work on .eps files
(unix/win) gimp http://www.gimp.org/ allows you to open and work on .eps files, but you loos the vectorial aspect. it converts to bitmap.
(win/mac) photoshop imports .ai and .eps

if you want more vector program tips, check http://vectorgraphics.sourceforge.net/

I'm on the planning stage

3dmacman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2010, 01:34:30 pm
  • Gaming, its a way of life.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 12:06:19 pm »
I am honored, and appreciate it ;D Thanks ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 12:33:08 pm »
Someone in a thread here mentioned something about auto trace will you include something on that as well?

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 02:00:46 pm »
zorg:  1. I know the pen tool in photoshop, though not as well as the one in illustrator (I hardly ever use it in photoshop).   Apart from creating a path, I don't know how well it could apply to creating the complex shapes we do in illustrator.  Maybe a mention near the end? (eg - possible tracing alternatives to illustrator?).  2.  Hmm..I'll look into that.  Maybe I can just copy and paste your list (since I don't know much about unix)

3dmacman: :)

retroborg: I could include a note on autotrace programs, but only in the sense to stay clear of them.  I don't think the quality is very good  - and the whole point of doing it by hand is to make it look awesome at a huge size.  good suggestion though.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
Re:I've updated the tutorial...
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 03:14:36 pm »
updated.  see my first message.

3dmacman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2010, 01:34:30 pm
  • Gaming, its a way of life.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 03:32:12 pm »
Hey you used my Morigan :D Thanks! She is probably one of the better ones I've done. Helps to have good stuff to stuff to start with. Nice tutorial, I've read it but in all honesty I've been using illustrator, freehand since 95. Hope it helps some of the newbs around here.  I love the way you use gradients. I just don't have the patience to tweak those colors all day.Still working on my Metal Slug, 5 days and counting, trying not to rush this one. Well thats enough babbling for now, thanks for including me in your tutorial! ;D ;D

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 10:42:32 am »
BUMP!

ADMINS: please replace current one with this one in the downloades section.  Thanks :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 10:43:25 am by Frostillicus »

BlackThorne

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2004, 05:31:57 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 03:12:05 pm »
Very cool tutorial, Frostillicus! This could be very useful for my cab-creation. Actually i didn't even know what's so cool about vector graphics. Now i know :D !

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 09:15:49 pm »
Very cool tutorial, Frostillicus! This could be very useful for my cab-creation. Actually i didn't even know what's so cool about vector graphics. Now i know :D !

Thanks :)  Let us know if you have any questions - everybody is pretty helpful around here.