Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First arcade project! I have a problem but made a video! Need advice  (Read 2112 times)

Nistin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2015, 11:55:39 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hello Everyone!

So this is my first project involving both woodworking and the arcade aspects.  It's been a real fun journey so far, with plans for future machines.  Right now I'm making a modified version of this plan. http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Super-Easy-Arcade-Machine-from-1-Sheet-of-Plywoo/

Right now I'm making the control board and linking it up with the raspberry pi.  I'm using a ZD Encoder and it works with EmulationStation but not with the Emulators.  I set up everything in Retroarch but running into problems. 

Because I'm not the best with writing, I made a video for you guys to watch so you can see my setup and maybe give me some insight.

Located here!:

Any input would be appreciated! Glad this forum is around!

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
Re: First arcade project! I have a problem but made a video! Need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 11:21:15 pm »
Haven't used the Rpi in a build so not sure this will be much help but a few things from the video :

1.) the adjustments you made to the red wiring is fine - as long as you are getting contact and they are staying in place they'll work fine with that adjustment. (Looks like you got a set of japanese button wires with the ZD encoder and are using the Happ buttons which use larger connectors which is the reason for the problem but opening them up like you did is fine and will not cause problems.

2.) The ZD encoder is a gamepad encoder so will show up as a gamepad with 12 buttons and not a keyboard emulator - which might be why it is not working in the emulator ( be sure you have it set to use a gamepad for input (again have not used the pi so might wait for someone who has that can provide more details) but it could be that emulation station is using the gamepad input fine (which is why it works) but the emulator is looking for a keyboard emulator instead of a gamepad emulator  :dunno

3.) since it is working in emulation station the problem would seem to be a software problem and not hardware ( so the buttons and encoder are installed properly and working it is just the software is not using the proper input settings so is not registering the input.

4.) for the switches you have the wiring correct - the switches have 3 prongs - 1 is the ground - 1 is the Normally open connection - and 1 is normally closed. SO when using for a button that sends a signal when the button is pressed you would use the ground and the normally open connections ( then when the button is pressed it closes the circuit which sends the button press to the encoder) If you connect using the normally closed and ground it does the opposite and sends a signal at all times except when the button is pressed which then opens the circuit. So since it is working in emulation station and not constantly sending button presses (like it would if you had the wrong 2 connections made) You are connected properly !

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 02:44:00 am »
By the way, that design is called a Vigolix.  The guy who designed it and did that instructable is Vigo, he's a regular on these forums. 

Your controls aren't config'd in Retroarch, pretty simple.   Are you using RetroPi, if so what version?  Also, how comfortable are you on the command line?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:48:49 am by Slippyblade »

Nistin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 09:57:04 am »
Hello!

First off thank you for the helpful replies so far and sorry about my late reply.  Life has been busy around here

@JDFan - I think I do have it on joystick mode vs.  keyboard mode, but I'll double check all my settings.  Thank for letting me know the setup is correct and explaining the how the prongs work.  That information will be super useful in future projects.  Any idea about how the 2 LED Lights work?  Thanks!

@Slippyblade - Thank you for the name of the setup.  Its cool to know the maker of the arcade is on the forums.  I wanted to make sure all credit was given to where credit was due.

I am comfortable with command line in the most part.  I'm not an expert, but I've been ---smurfing--- around with Linux for most of my life.  More as a hobby then anything else.  The weird thing is in some games, the buttoms work...but only some of them.   I forget what game, but moving the joystick will make the opening graphics skip to start screen, but then can't move it up and down to go from player 1 and player 2. 

All in all, your absolutely right about not having retroarch configured correctly.  I take it you do it through the command line?

Thanks again for all your help and looking foward to hearing from ya!

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 02:36:14 pm »
All in all, your absolutely right about not having retroarch configured correctly.  I take it you do it through the command line?

That answer depends on if you are using the RetroPie distro and what version.  If you are and it's v3, then there is a RetroArch menu built into Emulation Station that makes it much easier.  Otherwise, yeah, command line.  If you can tell me what distro you are using I can find the exact instructions for you, otherwise, Google will be your answer.  Search "retroarch controller config".

Nistin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:42:52 am »
Hey there

After reading your post and doing some researching, it seems to be a problem with V3 for some people.  I've done all the retroarch configuring from the menu your talking about, but to no avail.

So what I decided to do is revert back to 2.6 to see if it works better. If you think this is a bad idea, let me know.  I just know V3 is beta and i wanted to make sure I have the most stable version.

I'll command line Retroarch up and see what happens.  Thank you for your reply and information!