Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: iPad Mini - $329 for 16GB WiFi only - ouch!  (Read 1630 times)

griffindodd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
iPad Mini - $329 for 16GB WiFi only - ouch!
« on: October 23, 2012, 02:11:53 pm »
Well damn Apple, that seems pretty pricey for something with only a 1024x768 display and thicker than an iPad 2.

I was holding on before picking a tablet to use in my control panel, but at that price and spec, looks like I'm continuing to look at Android tabs.
I drink and I know things.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
Re: iPad Mini - $329 for 16GB WiFi only - ouch!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 02:36:14 pm »
You're right, although it's a horrible value proposition.

ABACABB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 12:37:07 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:35:29 pm »
If you're in the market for a 7" tablet you have to look at the Playbook from BlackBerry.  I know RIM is struggling a bit these days and the only press they get is negative - but this thing rocks!  I have had mine for over a year and absolutely love it.  In fact I won an iPad2 when they first came out and after using it a while I went out and spent money to buy the Playbook because it is much more robust.

Native Wifi file sharing = the ability to map your Playbook as a network drive = NO iTunes!!!  Plus it is Flash enabled and the browser is on par with a pc browser unlike the "mobile browsers" of iOS and Android.  And with RIM struggling, you're likely to find a great deal on one of these.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 09:31:47 am »
Android is definitely be your best bet Griff.  Im not sure how functional the iPad would be since it is such a closed system.  At least with the Android tablet or device you could root it and put whatever you want on it. 

What exactly do you plan on doing with it?

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 09:39:00 am »
It's primary cab function will be admin buttons. After that it will stream video from Plex, Netflix and TV, control my Sonos music system in the room and whatever other useful gizmos I can get it to do for fun.

clok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2018, 10:58:39 pm
  • I can play PacMan till the screen splits!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 01:36:11 pm »
considering Jobs must be rolling in his grave, less then 2 years ago he said "This size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion. Well, one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference. It is meaningless, unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of the present size. Apple's done extensive user-testing on touch interfaces over many years, and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."

smaller tablets are CRAP!   the only reason they are releasing is the Kindle fire is selling well, problem is they missed why.. its cheap and does alot when rooted and inst restricted to Apples way or the highway. There would be no tablet wars (really isnt now) if Apple would pull its head out of its "shoe" and allow SD card slot, mini USB .. EMAIL ATTACHMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!! how can a modern company only allow pictures? and no other attachments? and quit raping us on price.. (actual cost of an Ipad is about $150, i do understand making a profit, but geej).. $400, replaceable battery.. sd card slot, USB.. there would be no competition at all, no reason. OH YA, quit making your end users fell stupid they purchased your last one as you come out with a new one very few months!.

There are tons of Android devices out there.. Myself.. grab and old DROID phone (cheap) or one of those cheap tablet knock off's that sell for $50-100  grab the SDK for android.. and do something cool!  Wiht 3D printers now in the $500 area.. i plan to take an old Droid phone, use the bluetooth and make a PipBoy (fallout fans will know what im talking about) for the heck of it.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 01:43:27 pm »
The fact that Tim Cook has also moved the company culture from 'ship when it's ready' to 'hit the deadline' will also effect the quality of the product moving forward. Combine that with the fact that Google and Amazon are trying to nuke the hardware price point space (where Apple makes most of it's money) by flooding the market with at-cost hardware, it will make things a lot more uncomfortable for Apple in the future.

I have enjoyed the Apple products I have owned, but as a tech guy and I.T. professional I cannot justify their price premium for their logo and design quality, they make beautiful tech, but it's only going to get harder and harder to make profits from hardware in the future for anyone.

M.Lanza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2015, 09:51:03 am
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 08:32:47 pm »
I just wonder how long they will be able to milk the
ipod platform before the fad dies out.

ipod touch
5 generations of ipod touch + phone with less storage space
4 generations of giant ipod touch with less storage space
slightly smaller giant ipod touch with less storage space.

Trample the weak, hurdle the dead