Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Issue recording video of certain games...  (Read 2127 times)

Seith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
Issue recording video of certain games...
« on: July 06, 2012, 09:08:01 am »
OK, so i've been slowly building up my MALA list of PC Games I plan on featuring on my cab, and part of that process has involved making intro videos for each game.  So far the process has been going pretty smoothly, i've been using Camtasia Recorder for the majority of games, and Fraps for any that won't record properly in Camtasia.  However, recently I came across a Qix-like game called "Gal Pani X" that I can't get video footage of for the life of me.

• Camtasia Recorder:  Records the video of the game, but almost everything it picks up is black, you can basically only see the cursor on the screen.
  • Fraps:  Won't hook into the game
  • Taksi:  Won't hook into the game
  • Camstudio:  Takes the screen, shrinks it down, greyscales it, and tiles the image nine times across the video.  Also outputs extremely choppy.
  • GameRec:  Won't hook into the game

I have been having similar problems capturing video of the game "La-Mulana", also for the PC.  I was taking a look online and apparently it has something to do with how these (and presumably other) games are drawing to the screen.  It may have something to do with the fact that they don't use DirectX or OpenGL, although I don't know for sure.  Does anyone have any suggestions for an issue like this?  Maybe Circo/cdbrown could weigh in on what I need to do to get video of these games.

Seith

• Offline Offline
Re: Issue recording video of certain games...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 03:39:49 pm »
Perhaps I spoke too soon on La Mulana, as it seems in the next week an updated version of the game (complete with a graphical overhaul) will be available for PC:

That still doesn't solve my issues with recording video of Gal Pani X... it's a shame, as the game is 100% cab-ready except for not being able to record video.  They even have a cab-friendly high-score name entry system (something a lot of PC games lack).

:badmood:

Sjaak

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 05:21:26 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 03:48:15 pm »
I think mame has a built in feature to record video of the game

vanrose72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2018, 11:19:32 am
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 04:14:54 pm »
That still doesn't solve my issues with recording video of Gal Pani X...

I sometimes run into similar problems when trying to take still screenshots of games. The most common issue is that I get only a grayscale image instead of one in color.

I would suggest just going to YouTube and saving an mp4 of Gal Pani X gameplay, but I don't think anyone has posted video of that particular game.  :-\

I'm interested about the solution to your problem. I hope you get it all figured out!

Seith

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:07:36 pm »
I would suggest just going to YouTube and saving an mp4 of Gal Pani X gameplay, but I don't think anyone has posted video of that particular game.  :-\

Yeah, that was the other surprising thing.  The game is nowhere to be found on Youtube.  I wonder if it's just one of those games that is coded in a way that video capture software has nothing to hook into.