Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi and MAME - Hands on  (Read 31131 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:39:33 am
Re: Raspberry Pi and MAME - Hands on
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 02:32:52 pm »
Awesome.  Hopefully these things will improve over time to the point where it can handle most of the games running in MAME.  As it stands now, it seems like these boards would work great in a "classics" cabinet.

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 03:59:21 pm »
Bump bump. Anybody know of a good tutorial to get MAME going on a Pi? I just want to make some "dedicated" (will boot to one game- no front end) cabs/bartops for some old games.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

TPA5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2017, 10:25:16 pm
  • Wanting A Cab
Raspberry Pi and MAME - Hands on
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 04:48:36 pm »
I've been thinking about using mine as a dedicated SNES rom machine. This thread has inspired me to get my arse in gear and work on it again! I have a SNES with a shot board, the Pi would fit perfect in it.

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 04:57:19 pm »
I've been thinking about using mine as a dedicated SNES rom machine. This thread has inspired me to get my arse in gear and work on it again! I have a SNES with a shot board, the Pi would fit perfect in it.
My original Pi project was a digital picture frame, but I can't get the damn wifi working on it.  Sometimes I really hate Linux. 
But maybe I'll shove it into my old NES instead.  I bought a broken one on ebay, but was able to fix it.  I only have a couple games though, so thinking it's better to be Pi'ed.

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 06:25:38 pm »
I am very interested in a write up on using pi-es to run Mame as well! Would make for a good dedicated cab or for a X-in-1 machine. :P

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2012, 10:46:35 am »
There are boat loads of good threads on how to use MAME on the Pi.  Most revolve around Debian and AdvMame.

Just a word of caution about the Pi and composite hookups, the resolution may be completely messed.  I've now used three composite TV hookups and each is a nightmare to work with.  From the resolution not fitting to the clarity being horrible, they are just UN-useable.  I'm going to be moving to HDMI.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 12:00:58 pm »
There are boat loads of good threads on how to use MAME on the Pi.  Most revolve around Debian and AdvMame.

Just a word of caution about the Pi and composite hookups, the resolution may be completely messed.  I've now used three composite TV hookups and each is a nightmare to work with.  From the resolution not fitting to the clarity being horrible, they are just UN-useable.  I'm going to be moving to HDMI.

Boo, the mass of composite TVs lying around is what made me most interested in Pi.

Any recommended forums for these "tons of threads" or should I just google it up?
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 02:15:43 pm »

Boo, the mass of composite TVs lying around is what made me most interested in Pi.

Any recommended forums for these "tons of threads" or should I just google it up?

haha sorry.  Try googling RaspberryPi and AdvMame.  If you have any issues let me know and I'll see if I can dig up what I found.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 03:59:57 pm »

haha sorry.  Try googling RaspberryPi and AdvMame.  If you have any issues let me know and I'll see if I can dig up what I found.

That is perfect. I'm so new to the idea just knowing the right keywords is where I need to start. Thanks!

vanrose72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2018, 11:19:32 am
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2012, 11:55:51 am »
What's the take on this Picade project on Kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimoroni/picade-the-arcade-cabinet-kit-for-your-raspberry-p

(My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere already.)

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2012, 11:01:50 am »
What's the take on this Picade project on Kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimoroni/picade-the-arcade-cabinet-kit-for-your-raspberry-p

(My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere already.)

I just saw this and I'm happy it's being done but I think there is a huge unknown here in that the Pi's performance for gaming just isn't up to snuff.  So this project is misleading because people are going to go in believing they'll get the same performance of an x86 only to be let down after actually implementing it.

There is also NOTHING in this kickstarter that I can see dealing with the distribution running or how they are running/setup MAME.  So I'm worried.  There's information here that I would want to see before I invest.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:56 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2012, 12:52:43 pm »
I'll donate 5 quid if they change the name to something other than Picade. I'm not chuffed by the name.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2012, 12:57:58 pm »
I'd pay for a step-by-step walkthrough on how to get Mame/Pi running (for "dummies," so to speak).

Also, i keep reading "Picade" as:

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2012, 02:42:57 pm »
I'd pay for a step-by-step walkthrough on how to get Mame/Pi running (for "dummies," so to speak).

Also, i keep reading "Picade" as:

I vote for the new name to be "Pi-Card"  :laugh:

vanrose72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2018, 11:19:32 am
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2012, 08:16:50 am »
I just saw this and I'm happy it's being done but I think there is a huge unknown here in that the Pi's performance for gaming just isn't up to snuff.  So this project is misleading because people are going to go in believing they'll get the same performance of an x86 only to be let down after actually implementing it.

There is also NOTHING in this kickstarter that I can see dealing with the distribution running or how they are running/setup MAME.  So I'm worried.  There's information here that I would want to see before I invest.

I agree with your sentiments about the project being misleading. I had considered those issues as well: Performance and the distribution of MAME and its ROMs.

cyber7

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2013, 02:02:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2013, 09:46:29 am »
http://aubreykloppers.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/pi-mame-another-insane-project/
http://aubreykloppers.wordpress.com

Hi Guys
This is just a reference to a nice step-by-step installation and pitfall guide.

cyber7-out

kiwasabi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 12:14:51 pm
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2013, 12:51:55 pm »
http://aubreykloppers.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/pi-mame-another-insane-project/
http://aubreykloppers.wordpress.com

Hi Guys
This is just a reference to a nice step-by-step installation and pitfall guide.

cyber7-out

How is the performance? I heard even Street Fighter 2 struggles on a Pi. You can get a micro PC based on the RK3188 chipset, quadcore 1.4ghz processor, 2GB RAM, etc for around $70 these days. Then just use Android OS on it and you're golden.