Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New slowly progressing project - Updated 20120625  (Read 2663 times)

mathew_123456

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2023, 06:31:24 pm
New slowly progressing project - Updated 20120625
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:18:46 am »
Thought I'd post my progress so far - and maybe it will force me to do some more work on it!
Around a year ago I won an ebay auction for a gutted 'Breeders Cup' cabinet- $52 (AUD). I thought it was a bargain, since all panels complete, and everything pretty much intact, including the gas arms for the monitor shelf.

Anyway, all I've managed to do is strip all wiring out, and pull out the monitor frame. This I am getting my father to modify so I can fit a 24" widescreen LCD monitor. (cut out hole for monitor and weld brackets in place)
For starters, I'll be using my modified PS3, with a couple of Toodles Cthulu pcbs, JLF joysticks and sanwa screw in buttons. I have all the hardware, except the monitor. (I'm a fighting fan - many a hour and dollar spent during university on sf2  ::))

Have been doing quite a bit of research in regards to painting, layout, etc and I think I have all of this pretty much worked out - hard part is theme and naming. Might aim to get it functional before I focus on this.... but one name I still like is 'Virtual Insanity' (helps that I also like Jamiroquai) - was thinking some graphic from SF2 where the players are stunned, and the stars are whizzing around their heads.

Anyway, thats all for now, but I'll try and post some pictures of my progress along the way - and hopefully I'll even be able to eventually use a PC in the cabinet as well running my own Frontend (which is another ongoing project).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:09:41 am by mathew_123456 »

vcoleiro1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2018, 09:24:38 am
Re: New slowly progressing project
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 04:27:47 am »
Wow , you did well in that ebay auction. Good pickup.  Would love to see the frontend you mention when its done

mathew_123456

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 09:11:13 am »
Dang - you reminded my just how slowly it is progressing   :hissy:

In the mean time - I've also completed the frontend - just need to test with a joystick to ensure that works as well as keyboard and mouse. Where does all the time go?  ???

Mr. Dude

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2019, 05:12:50 am
  • Hi...
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 12:09:11 pm »
Don't feel bad, I started my new cabinet in May and it's still a work in progress. It's just hard to find time! :-\

mathew_123456

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 06:35:34 am »
Just to highlight the fact I'm still working on this - and planning on finishing by 2020, here are some pics. I stripped down the cabinet to bare bones a couple of months ago - and have since undercoated the thing (I'll post those pics next).
I even tore out the old money box - so I can fit in a shelf for my PS3 - ready to go.
Major bits left are painting black, and the woodwork for the control panel. Everything has been purchased, just need to do the work!

mathew_123456

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:01:15 am »
Finally - made more progress in the last few weeks than I have since I bought the thing  ;D
Put on two coats of undercoat (specifically for laminate/ tiles)
Done most of the work on the panel - just left to do the top layer (which I will be using 3mm white laminate). I know - no artwork. But I have no idea at this stage - and I thought it was cheaper to learn on MDF and white melamime.

Anyway - a few photos.

Yes - I know I have undercoated the complete back of the machine - don't intend to repaint the bottom section (including the back door) - don't plan on hanging around the back  8)

mathew_123456

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 07:08:30 am »
Rookie mistake. I have got the cabinet playable - and I have a small amount to complete!
Suffice to say - I made quite a bit of progress in the last couple of months, and now SSF4 on PS3 is running! What else is required?

Left to complete:
Marquee
Attach bezel (this has actually been painted - just needs to be bolted to the screen)

Overall - I'm quite happy with the result. Hopefully won't be too long before I complete it 100%  ;D

mathew_123456

• Offline Offline
Re: New slowly progressing project - Updated 20120625
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 07:14:13 am »
A couple of higher quality photos (not from iphone :D)