Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wire Stripper/Crimper  (Read 6615 times)

CWorley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 07:44:36 pm
Wire Stripper/Crimper
« on: April 11, 2012, 04:23:00 pm »
Could you guys give me some recommendations for a good wire stripper/crimper?

I'm more concerned about quality and versatility than price.

Thanks!

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
Re: Wire Stripper/Crimper
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:31:47 pm »
What kind of wire and what kind of connectors are you looking at crimping?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:40:06 pm by Unstupid »

Dawgz Rule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:09:56 pm
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 04:41:55 pm »
If you are looking quality than price I would recommend one of each. 

This style of wire stripper works great:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/IDEAL-Wire-Stripper-5LJ02?cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

Crimper would depend on what you want to crimp but in general, a ratcheting crimper is always nice.  I have one that is specific to electrical lugs and is color coded accordingly.  Perfect crimps each and every time.  I also have a different crimper for coax and network/phone. 

Nephasth

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 04:45:29 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of the combination tools, but if you're wanting a combination wire stripper/crimper, I would recommend this style:

I absolutely hate this style of stripper/crimper:

I use this style stripper myself:

Any more, I find myself crimping terminal pins 95% of the time and use ratcheting crimpers:

When I need to crimp crush type connectors (butt splices and such), I use my crimpers like what's in the second pic (I hate them, mostly because the strippers suck in them, but I got them in a basic mechanic set). I prefer having the strippers at the end of the tool, and crimpers inside the handles if using a combination type (but I don't own a set like this myself).

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 09:33:37 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 04:49:10 pm »
I agree with Neph's choice (the ones that he made for himself), although I still use the original one that he hates.  :-\
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 04:00:08 am »
There is some good info on crimping tools/crimping in [this] thread.

I use this type of stripper for 98% of the wires I strip. You can get cheap variants of these but the decent ones wrk really well. There is an adjustable depth stop and they are auto adjusting from 0.2-6mm^2

[US Link] [UK Link]

I also sometimes use this type of stripper where length is at a premium and the others can not be used or for 'thinning down' strands.

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 08:41:05 am »
Thanks for all the info guys!

What kind of wire and what kind of connectors are you looking at crimping?

I'd like them for stripping wire anywhere from 14-20 AWG and for crimping quick disconnects and molex pins.

Sparkolicious

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2022, 05:41:24 pm
  • Measure twice cut once dern it!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 10:06:30 am »

I use this type of stripper for 98% of the wires I strip. You can get cheap variants of these but the decent ones wrk really well. There is an adjustable depth stop and they are auto adjusting from 0.2-6mm^2

Once you use one, you will toss everything else out.

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:17:54 am »
Ok, what about if you want a single tool for stripping and another tool for crimping?  What are the two that you would recommend?

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:46:17 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 11:01:25 am »
Ok, what about if you want a single tool for stripping and another tool for crimping?  What are the two that you would recommend?

The last two photos in Nephasth's post above.  Just keep in mind that the strippers come in two ranges of hole sizes.  If working with electronics, the smaller one seems to cover the more oft used sizes of wire.

CWorley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 11:08:58 am »
You guys are the best.  Thanks!

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:22:04 am »
Any more, I find myself crimping terminal pins 95% of the time and use ratcheting crimpers:

I have that same crimper from Harbor Freight and hate it.  There are two separate thin pieces of metal for the jaws and it didn't crimp tight enough (the red/yellow/blue spacing seemed too big).  I ended up borrowing a ratcheting crimper like this from a friend.  The jaws are a solid hunk of metal and the crimps are much tighter -- it worked 1000 times better for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-T1715-Full-Cycle-Ratcheting-Crimper-Insulated/dp/B0002RIA4E

There are cheaper versions too (not sure how good they would be, but I imagine they would be very similar):

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Appliance-35084-Ratcheting-Crimper/dp/B001W2285K
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:24:30 am by ahofle »

Nephasth

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 12:13:23 pm »

I have that same crimper from Harbor Freight and hate it.  There are two separate thin pieces of metal for the jaws and it didn't crimp tight enough (the red/yellow/blue spacing seemed too big).  I ended up borrowing a ratcheting crimper like this from a friend.  The jaws are a solid hunk of metal and the crimps are much tighter -- it worked 1000 times better for me...

The jaws are designed to swap out die sets (which are solid metal). It sounds like you may have been misusing them. Trying to crimp connectors on too small of wire gauge maybe (the red connectors are only designed for 18-22 gauge wire and don't really crimp properly on smaller gauge wire). Once one die meets up to the other die, it can't go any further/tighter. The dies are designed to provide x amount of crimping force on the connector/pin. I don't use the dies pictured, but I've never experienced an improper crimp when using the dies I do have.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:31:13 pm »
They were used on 22 gauge wire and non-insulated .187 quick disconnects. I guess they don't work well with non-insulated?  The 18-22 gauge 'red' setting on the harbor freight crimper had visibly more space when closed than the same 'red' setting on the other crimper I used.   :dunno

EDIT:
Here's the one I used.
http://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-crimping-tool-97420.html
According to the description it should have worked on both insulated and non-insulated terminals.  So, if I was 'misusing' them then I'm sure others around here would be too, since .187 are pretty standard for arcade use.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:49:15 pm by ahofle »

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2018, 11:44:34 am
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 01:02:29 pm »

Once you use one, you will toss everything else out.

Agreed.  I have one just like it, works fantastic.

WareWolF

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 02:42:16 pm
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 01:21:52 pm »
A little google search finds the JT&T sripper much cheaper.

http://www.frys.com/product/3256901?source=googleps