Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New 'Space Quest' game!  (Read 1804 times)

jfunk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2018, 04:36:39 pm
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
New 'Space Quest' game!
« on: May 26, 2012, 06:57:27 pm »
I know some people have issues with Kickstarter, but if it means I get to play a new Space Quest type adventure game, then I'm backing it!

Two Guys SpaceVenture @ Kickstarter

I played through EVERY Space Quest game that came out growing up.  I think I still have the original box with the 'Two Guys from Andromeda' nose and glasses!  Those games were one of the reasons I got into software development for a living (though I never did get into game development)...

I would LOVE to see a new game by those guys.  If nothing else, just to see if the humor holds up like it does in my head  :)

-Jason

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: New 'Space Quest' game!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 07:24:11 pm »
I just KNEW this would involve Kickstarter. Luckily, I fully support Kickstarter. :)

Looking forward to the next Tex Murphy game, which I hope they manage to raise the money for...
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/texmurphy/tex-murphy-project-fedora

GregD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2015, 02:26:41 pm
    • Arcade Nebula
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 02:26:23 pm »
Really wish these guys would just program this stuff and put it up for sale afterwards.  $15 is reasonable and I think any Space Quest fan would pay that for a new game.  This kickstarter stuff just feels like you're subsiding a business venture and yet get nothing in return on your investment when they end up selling 5 million copies.

Agree.  I don't think I support this idea.  What is the benefit to backing it?  Any business venture should involve risk to the person that is looking to profit off of it....that is what makes them work hard to ensure that it is successful.  Maybe I don't fully understand it.  Sounds like you are purchasing something before it is developed.

Samstag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2016, 01:41:19 am
  • That's not a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:55:25 pm »
I don't know if this is a coincidence or what, but the Space Quest collection is going to be on sale on steam sometime today for $5.

jfunk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2018, 04:36:39 pm
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 08:24:03 am »
I guess I just don't see a problem.  Sure, in some instances, I'd be a bit more wary.  But these guys gave me some GREAT childhood memories.  And if my pledge gives them a bit more confidence that their game will at least make enough to pay their voice actors and programmers, then I'm all for it.

I'm guessing most major development studios wouldn't touch this.  The market has to be fairly small..  The adventure game genre isn't what it used to be.  And nostalgia isn't enough for some people.  Besides, if they want to do it their own way, they probably want full creative freedom and decision making...

Less risk doesn't automatically mean they don't work as hard.  If they've got a passion to revisit the series, I think they'll work hard out of pride.  Less risk probably means they sleep a bit better at night, though....  :)

I'm definitely not saying this about all Kickstarter projects.  These big companies using Kickstarter for preorders seem pretty ridiculous...  But for projects like this..  Or for homegrown hardware projects...  I think it's a GREAT way for the average person and smaller development groups to tackle larger projects...

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:37:41 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:55:27 am »
The ship name.....The Aluminum Mallard still makes me laugh.

I don't think I played any of them after Part III though.