Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Windows 7 and Xbox360 controllers...  (Read 2404 times)

keysta75

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2012, 07:38:36 pm
Windows 7 and Xbox360 controllers...
« on: March 27, 2012, 04:18:34 pm »
I have a bit of a problem maybe someone can help. I have SF4 TE fight stick, SF4 SE fight stick, a wired Xbox360 controller, and a wireless Xbox360 controller(with wireless adapter). All are connected to my windows 7 OS. My problem is that I want assign them in the exact same order as I mention them but windows seems to want to do the opposite. When I go to controller settings in windows CP and set the desired controller to preferred device no matter what windows favor the wired Xbox360 controller as the default controller. If I unplug the wired controller then priority goes to the wireless controller. It's like those fight sticks doesn't stand a chance as to getting priority one. Is there a way to change the controller ID's on Win7 or a work around program out there? I'm really banging my head about this:mad:

spoot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am
  • Destroyer of electronics
Re: Windows 7 and Xbox360 controllers...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:50:44 am »
I'm grasping at straws here....perhaps plug the controllers into lower number'd USB ports?  Not sure what order win7 uses, but would think it'd use the lower ones first.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:17:40 am »
I'm grasping at straws here....perhaps plug the controllers into lower number'd USB ports?  Not sure what order win7 uses, but would think it'd use the lower ones first.
And..... You'd be wrong

;)

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk. That's +exactly+ what I thought when I was wrestling with this same problem.

Windows appears to want to assign stick id's by their manufacturers assigned GUIDs, which is just SO helpful to people that actually care how their sticks are mapped.

One option is a program call JoyIDs

http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm#JoyIDs_Utility

It seems to work ok under XP. Haven't tried it under Win7 though.

If you're talking about MAME in particular, you might want to have a look at my ControllerRemap utility (See my sig for a link). It's a tad more work to setup, but basically, it lets you tell mame explicitly which stick is for which player, and it doesn't care what order you plug sticks in, or even if they aren't there when you start mame.

spoot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 02:31:00 pm »
And..... You'd be wrong

;)

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk. That's +exactly+ what I thought when I was wrestling with this same problem.

Windows appears to want to assign stick id's by their manufacturers assigned GUIDs, which is just SO helpful to people that actually care how their sticks are mapped.

Huh, interesting, I'll have to store that in the ol memory bank for when I hit this issue.    :cheers:

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 04:08:23 pm »
Yeah, it's definitely a pain, though not really for most people with relatively normal Mame cabinets.

But if you're planning swappable control panels, or if you want to have a 2 player cabinet, but be able to plug a couple of handheld controllers in for 4p games when friends are over, things can go south quick.

spoot

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 04:18:06 pm »
Yeah, it's definitely a pain, though not really for most people with relatively normal Mame cabinets.

But if you're planning swappable control panels, or if you want to have a 2 player cabinet, but be able to plug a couple of handheld controllers in for 4p games when friends are over, things can go south quick.

Hehe, yeah, I have swappable panels and plugins for 4p.....but running Linux on it.  And haven't touched the cabinet in months cuz it appears I have a grounding issue sumwhere and buttons misfire and well........   :angry:

drventure

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 05:04:20 pm »
Hehe, yeah, I have swappable panels and plugins for 4p.....but running Linux on it.  And haven't touched the cabinet in months cuz it appears I have a grounding issue sumwhere and buttons misfire and well........   :angry:

Ah, Yes, I can't imagine linux devs doing anything quite as dumb as Windows did in this particular respect  :'(