Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 16x9 Cocktail Table Project (Now With Video!!!)  (Read 76681 times)

Yenome

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 01:03:06 am
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
Re: 16x9 Cocktail Table Project *The TV is installed!*
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 01:07:39 am »
think i just found my new coffe table so when will you be delivering this to my house? >:D
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
Re: 16x9 Cocktail Table Project *The TV is installed!*
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 03:23:05 pm »
Looking good. I know it goes without saying, but take the time to give your old man a hug. It's projects like this that you'll remember for the rest of your life. Good times!

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2024, 11:28:50 am
Re: 16x9 Cocktail Table Project (how did I not see that!!!)
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2012, 04:34:25 pm »
think i just found my new coffe table so when will you be delivering this to my house? Evil
Depends on where you live and how much money you make ;)

Looking good. I know it goes without saying, but take the time to give your old man a hug. It's projects like this that you'll remember for the rest of your life. Good times!
Indeed.  This is definitely becoming a journey to remember. :)

On to other, not so wonderful, news...  I made my first big miscalculation.   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I should have probably seen this from my sketchUp model but I found out the hard way last night that my button layout was about 1/2" too close to the edge of my cabinet.

I drilled all 14 holes...

And installed the buttons and controllers without thinking about the 3/4" piece of wood that is directly below it.  :banghead:

Of course then without realizing it I excitedly put the top on the rest of the cab to find it didn't fit.  This was about all I could handle, so I called it a night.

After sleeping it off and thinking of ways to fix this problem, I think I have a solution.  I am going to rout about 3/8" off of the sidewall that the buttons were colliding with where the buttons are and move the buttons all back and together the tiniest bit to make them fit.  I won't know for certain until I fix it but after adding all of my new measurements to the model It all looks like it will fit.

What a bummer though.  I was all ready to wire it up. :P  I have an extra piece of wood that I plan on replacing the layer with so the mistake shouldn't cost me anything at least.

Until next time! :)

A few hours later...

So after looking around and studying my table a bit more and a few other nice tables, I think my buttons are a bit too far spred out vertically.  I definitely could move them closer together and not feel too bad about it. :)  I am starting to think I would have regretted the spacing at some point down the road.  This mistake might not be a total loss after all. :)  It helps me feel better to say that anyway. :P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:46:28 pm by jkdubb »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:43:52 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
Re: 16x9 Cocktail Table Project (How did I not see that!!!)
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 05:21:11 am »

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 08:46:18 am »
Wow! How have I not seen that website?  Thank you.  This is going to help a lot!  :cheers:

dextercf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2022, 05:26:18 pm
  • [thisispersonal]
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2012, 10:47:21 am »
+1 on the slagcoin linkage.

Questions;
  • #1: Where are you going to rest your right hand while playing? (To close to the edge, those buttons)
  • #2: Are you tinting that topglass? In the sketch it is bluish.. what what whaaat?  ;D

Nice project!
This is one of those cabinets that might get GF interested in something like this..

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2012, 11:19:21 am »
Loving this build...look forward to more updates...

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2012, 02:26:57 pm »
Questions;
#1: Where are you going to rest your right hand while playing? (To close to the edge, those buttons)
#2: Are you tinting that topglass? In the sketch it is bluish.. what what whaaat? 

1. I'm planning on moving in the buttons about an inch and a quarter.  It is a small space though so there will not be a ton of hand space.  It still feels pretty good to play on.
2. No.  The topglass is 3/8" thick so it almost looks like it has a slight tint, but it doesn't.  For the render I made it blue to see it easier. :)

Loving this build...look forward to more updates...

Thanks! They are coming. :)

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
Re: 16x9 Cocktail Table Project (Controls In!!!)
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2012, 08:10:30 pm »
Got a bunch of stuff done today!  Fixed my mistake from last time (turned out to be a blessing) and got some wiring done.

First, we left off with me drilling the holes for the buttons and controllers too close to the edge of the cabinet.  :banghead: This made me realize however that the buttons were too far apart and after studying a lot of other layouts and visiting slagcoin.com I came up with a new design.

Wife testing out the new sizing.

I managed to resize everything to fit without any routing.  Here is the new layout before drilling. (I was not going to make any mistakes this time, hence all of the lines ;D)

My workspace. The green buttons came in from ultimarc.  I actually ordered white.  They are sending me new ones.  I am going to have a lot of extra buttons from them before it is over with.  Good customer service :P

Double, tripple checked the measurements and went outside and started drilling.

Buttons in and starting wiring.  I am going to wait till I get my other white buttons in before I finish up.

And everything fits!!!!  :D

More money shots.

Put a nice chamfer around the TV opening.

One more pic. :)

Next time I will finish wiring the cab and possibly plug it in. ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:59:26 pm by jkdubb »

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2012, 08:41:29 pm »
I am jealous of your woodworking... nice job!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 10:42:30 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2012, 08:54:12 pm »

Buttons in and starting wiring.  I am going to wait till I get my other white buttons in before I finish up.
Next time I will finish wiring the cab and possibly plug it in. ;D

WAAAAAAAIIIIT!!! Aren't you going to route for T-molding, fill the holes, sand, and paint before doing the wiring?

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2012, 09:03:03 pm »
WAAAAAAAIIIIT!!! Aren't you going to route for T-molding, fill the holes, sand, and paint before doing the wiring?

But, but, but, I want to see it work!  ;D

I swear I will not fall into the trap of the unfinished working cab. :P

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 01:13:33 am »
How do you plan to route the slot for the t-molding on the second tier? Or is this not getting molding?

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:31:27 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2012, 02:27:11 am »

But, but, but, I want to see it work!  ;D

I swear I will not fall into the trap of the unfinished working cab. :P

I wish I could say the same thing lol. :laugh2:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2012, 04:26:55 am »
Never seen that button layout before. Nice work.

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2012, 09:00:14 am »
very quality woodworkin dude. But why did you go for a 6 button fighting layout for the vertical position?
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2012, 09:25:22 am »
very quality woodworkin dude. But why did you go for a 6 button fighting layout for the vertical position?

With a monitor that size I would have done the same thing so I could rock some split screen versus play, that's just me tho   

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2012, 09:42:34 am »
How do you plan to route the slot for the t-molding on the second tier? Or is this not getting molding?

Same way I do it one the other two.  The cabinet is still not screwed together.  It all disassembles rather nicely right now.  After I do a quick button test with Hyperspin to make sure I'm not forgetting anything I am going to take it all apart and start finishing it. (Screws, Sand, Paint, ext.)

Never seen that button layout before. Nice work.

Thanks! It feels great too.

With a monitor that size I would have done the same thing so I could rock some split screen versus play, that's just me tho   

Exactly the reason.  ;D

Newgeta

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2016, 10:54:08 am
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2012, 10:46:29 am »
Beautiful lines on this one, lookin pro!

Yenome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 01:03:06 am
  • Punch a fish. Make a wish
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2012, 11:41:01 pm »
when you get done id like to see a cost tally on these. i think alot of projects miss this part. most the projects miss a itemized sheet. I know for me when i was looking for builds i was looking for the cost of what they was building and seeing where i wanted to save money and where i would not budge. With my Hobo Arcade I have been staying as cheap as i can and reusing everything. Loving this build now i know what i want for christmas.
My Gf made me put a sig up. /whipped

edekoning

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2022, 02:21:38 pm
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2012, 04:55:16 am »
Although there are several detailed cost sheets for upright builds, I don't think I ever saw one for a cocktail cabinet. Maybe people just don't want to know the final price tag  ;)

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2012, 04:55:58 pm »
when you get done id like to see a cost tally on these.

Sure thing.  I've been keeping pretty good track of everything so far.  I will make a cost chart with and without tools I had to buy along the way. 

I was going to keep track of hours but honestly with the amount of work I put into the design and time spent thinking about how I am going to attempt the next step it would be a little insane.  Maybe a crude "hours worked" chart for days spent cutting and painting and such. :)

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2012, 07:08:15 pm »
Although there are several detailed cost sheets for upright builds, I don't think I ever saw one for a cocktail cabinet. Maybe people just don't want to know the final price tag  ;)

I'm running a pretty detailed cost sheet on my cocktail build thread... Had I known it was going to be so expensive I may not have attempted it in the first place.

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
Re: 16x9 Cocktail Table Project (Final Cuts)
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2012, 10:12:07 am »
I finished up all of the big cuts on this project.  The only woodworking I have left now is to rout the T-molding slots.

Here is a quick test for the T-mold slot cutter bit.

Don't worry I'm not going with orange or blue.  Although it would be cool to see a cab with multicolored segments at some point. :P  the "Left Over Cab".  :laugh2:

Back to the work of the day.  I started off by cutting the hole in the center segment of the cab.  Now I'll be able to get the computer in and out and the all important airflow will be available.

Even added a chamfer to the inner cut.  It might as well look pretty on the inside.  :)

Drilled the additional button holes for the pinball buttons and 1 and 2 player start buttons.

Buttons fit!

I really like the player start buttons located on the side segments of each end of the cab.  It keeps the control panel looking uncluttered and clean.

I have white LED buttons for the outside flippers but I am not in love with the way they look or feel at this point.  I would really like to find some clear concave buttons but everywhere I look they are sold out.  If anyone knows where I can get some def. let me know. :)

All put back together.  (It was getting dark at this point.)

Another shot.

and one more.

Soon as my replacement buttons come in I'll plug it in and see what's up.  ;D

I will also be attaching the glass top soon and adding the hinges.  I am excited about testing out the crazy insane glue I purchased.  I'll be documenting that process very closely so expect lots of pics and maybe a video or two.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2012, 01:20:46 pm »
I really like the start button placement.  :applaud: Good job on the rest too of course.  ;D

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 10:42:30 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2012, 02:02:23 pm »
Shaping up nicely. However as a purely ergonomic consideration, not that anybody is going to get carpal tunnel from using it, but I'm not sure about having a P1 button on the inside panel like that. If not hitting it accidentally while deflecting the stick left, the player will be pressing this button with their knuckles and knocking against the MDF in the process. Ergonomically and aesthetically I think those beautiful shiny buttons should only be pressed with the softest part of one's fingertip, not to be knocked against. I was thinking that as long as you have the pinball buttons on the outside anyway, nothing wrong with putting the P1 button there too.

Forgive me weirdness, but knocking knuckles on wood for some reason creeps me out.  :banghead:

Giving a second look, it looks like you can use the side of your hand to press them, which would work fine.  :cheers:

On a related note, any plans for a plunger button?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:04:45 pm by Namco »

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2012, 02:36:39 pm »
On a related note, any plans for a plunger button?

No.  I'll wait till I build my virtual pin cab for that.  I have always wanted a real sized v-pin table with plunger and tilt sensors and the works.  Maybe if Zen Pinball releases for PC eventually it will motivate me to spend the money on it. :)

As far as hitting your knuckles is concerned.  Unless you are a gorilla and have some serious paws for hands you have quite a bit of space.  ;D  My hands don't even come close to hitting the button or the back panel.  Maybe if you were getting crazy with Street Fighter and your hand flew off it might touch the sides, but for the most part there is lots of room ;)

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2012, 04:37:35 pm »
I'm really liking this build!

I'd probably be that friend that somehow gets red knuckles because he goes wild with the joystick  :laugh:

Nephasth

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2012, 05:13:40 pm »
I really like the start button placement.  :applaud: Good job on the rest too of course.  ;D

+1!

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2012, 04:29:16 pm »
I don't want to get too crazy with this build but here is an idea I had that may happen after the dust has settled. :)

I'd like it to snap right on to the side of the cab when I want to rock some 4 player action or use the extra controllers and then be able to easily remove it .  Might even put a gun or two on it to achieve overkill!  :P

Anyway.  Something to think about. :D

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2012, 04:33:00 pm »
I don't want to get too crazy with this build

Too late!  :D

J/K... Looks like fun...  a ling gun through the glass to an angled LCD screen seems like a challenge!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:56:05 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2012, 04:57:48 pm »
I know space is a usually a factor, but why not just build a 4 player cab?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2012, 05:20:26 pm »

This is a terrible idea.  I love your build so far, great lines, nice functionality.  Don't tacky it up with a half baked solution to a non existent problem.  If you want 4 player then build a dedicated 4 player because I'm willing to bet that this add-on would cost you some good cheddar to execute on par with the rest of this great build and would at best be a side show attraction to an already impressive achievement.   

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2012, 06:12:39 pm »
Is it April 1st again already?  :dizzy:

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:31:27 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2012, 06:16:00 pm »

This is a terrible idea.  I love your build so far, great lines, nice functionality.  Don't tacky it up with a half baked solution to a non existent problem.  If you want 4 player then build a dedicated 4 player because I'm willing to bet that this add-on would cost you some good cheddar to execute on par with the rest of this great build and would at best be a side show attraction to an already impressive achievement.   

I'm with the other guys. Although this looks tight. Sitting 4 chairs down and trying to play would be rough. Plus leaning on it would easily tip the whole cab. So you would have to add some support which would get in the way of the 2nd/3rd player.

If your wanting a spinner or track ball maybe create a expansion slot that can be inserted/removed right under the original controls. But even that would be to much for this already sick cab.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2012, 06:34:54 pm »

I agree. I've grown to like your build after quite frankly being skeptical at first that it would look nice, but I am really impressed at how it came out. I don't think this would be a good idea.

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2012, 10:24:36 pm »
 :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: Ok. Ok. I swear I won't build this abomination.  ;D

It's really cool to see people enjoying the project so much that they would stop me from losing my focus. :)

Wired it up tonight and plugged it in. Very pretty. Pics tomorrow. Must sleep now. :P

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2012, 11:21:13 pm »
Yeah, much like software, feature creep is an issue with this hobby!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2012, 11:25:24 pm »
Ok. Ok. I swear I won't build this abomination.  ;D

Crisis averted.  Clarence got his wings. 

jkdubb

• Offline Offline
Re: 16x9 Cocktail Table Project (It's Alive!!!)
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2012, 11:05:56 am »
Ok. Big post, lots of pictures.

I finished beta wiring the cab to make sure everything worked/fit and I didn't forget anything.

Working in the sunlight. :)

Here is a step by step of the layers of the cab as of right now.  Soon it will all be screwed together forever.

First game played.  I love how it fits the 16x9 aspect perfectly!  :D

From the captains seat.

Here is a good example of hand space from the player start button.

My mother takes a turn.

Once I showed her how to add a credit and hit start she was good to go. :P

All in all a very successful evening.  Now I will take it all apart and start filling the screw holes and sanding.  I am also going to add some fan holes on the bottom and rout the t-slots.