Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building basics?  (Read 20591 times)

yaksplat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
Re: Building basics?
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2012, 06:51:07 am »
Check out amazon.com for the bits
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

walterg74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2023, 02:09:26 am

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2012, 08:16:54 am »
yeah, that's the 1/16" cutter that I've used on three cabinets.
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2012, 09:56:04 am »
Amazon should have your countersink bits too!

walterg74

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2012, 11:34:13 am »
Amazon should have your countersink bits too!

Right on... :)

I'll either buy the one, or this set right here to have more options:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW2535-Piece-Countersink-Assortment/dp/B0000225OU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337611531&sr=8-4

walterg74

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2012, 12:25:52 am »
Countersink bit set and slot cuter bits are on the way :)

I'll have to wait til july 1st to get them, but still many things to work on until then with what I already have. If the frikkin rain ever stops that is...  :angry:

walterg74

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2012, 10:07:44 pm »
So as I keep reading while I wait for the weekend (and the rain to go away...), here's a question for the woodworking gurus...

I see that the basics of getting the sides is to draw out one piece, cut it out, use it as a template to draw the second side and then cut -it- out, and then clamp them together and make them equal.

Now in this last step of getting them to be equal, is sanding them the normal way, or is routing with a flush bit better??

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2012, 10:19:28 pm »
So as I keep reading while I wait for the weekend (and the rain to go away...), here's a question for the woodworking gurus...

I see that the basics of getting the sides is to draw out one piece, cut it out, use it as a template to draw the second side and then cut -it- out, and then clamp them together and make them equal.

Now in this last step of getting them to be equal, is sanding them the normal way, or is routing with a flush bit better??

Unless you're going to be taking lessons from Mr. Miyagi... use a flush bit. :)  It will give better result for a fraction of the effort.

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

walterg74

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2012, 10:26:26 pm »

Unless you're going to be taking lessons from Mr. Miyagi... use a flush bit. :)  It will give better result for a fraction of the effort.

Well, kinda hard.. you know, with him dying and all...

Ok, so does that mean I have to take intoaccound the wood I'll "shave off" and make the side a tiny bit larger all around, or is the flush bit a really really thin blade that shaves the tiniest fraction off the wood..?

walker_tr9

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2014, 08:51:15 am
  • Infinity is not a number!
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2012, 10:38:29 pm »

I have an unrelated question, but it fits in this thread.  Do I need to use a drill press to do the control panel?  I really don't want to buy one just for that one task.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2012, 11:03:14 pm »

Well, kinda hard.. you know, with him dying and all...

Ok, so does that mean I have to take intoaccound the wood I'll "shave off" and make the side a tiny bit larger all around, or is the flush bit a really really thin blade that shaves the tiniest fraction off the wood..?

What I've done with similar jobs is to trace the second part using the first.  The width of the pencil tip alone will make the second part a tiny bit larger all around.  When I then rough cut the second part with my jigsaw, I just make sure to leave the pencil line.  You should have plenty of room now to use the router as you described earlier.

walterg74

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2012, 11:07:12 pm »
What I've done with similar jobs is to trace the second part using the first.  The width of the pencil tip alone will make the second part a tiny bit larger all around.  When I then rough cut the second part with my jigsaw, I just make sure to leave the pencil line.  You should have plenty of room now to use the router as you described earlier.

Hmm ok that sounds reasonable... I guess I can try it out with a couple of scraps first to see if I can get the hang of it...

Are you familiar with Koenigs cabs? Specifically the "VertiCade", which doesn't have t-molding but rather the wood of the sides is "rounded".. is that done woth the round bit on both sides, or some other way?

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2012, 11:21:15 pm »
Are you familiar with Koenigs cabs? Specifically the "VertiCade", which doesn't have t-molding but rather the wood of the sides is "rounded".. is that done woth the round bit on both sides, or some other way?

I'm also curious how those edges were achieved.  I've done that sort of thing before using a round-over bit, but it's tricky... when routing the second side, the bearing doesn't have anything to ride against.

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2012, 01:30:23 am »
I believe this is done using a template for the bearing or without a bearing altogether.  http://www.amazon.com/Freud-99-019-1-Inch-Convex-Router/dp/B00004T7LY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337837360&sr=8-1

The cut is made across the whole edge in one pass.

walterg74

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2012, 02:50:33 pm »
I believe this is done using a template for the bearing or without a bearing altogether.  http://www.amazon.com/Freud-99-019-1-Inch-Convex-Router/dp/B00004T7LY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337837360&sr=8-1

The cut is made across the whole edge in one pass.

Awesome! I was looking for something precisely like that!

So this says it's 1", how do you work it when the wood is thinner, like the usual 3/4" or 5/8" ppl use, or in my case the 15 mm ones?  ???

Edit: also, I see that particular one would be no good for me since the shank is 1/2", and the router I have takes 1/4", 6mm and 8mm bits.

Still I found this one like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Vermont-American-23158-32-Inch-Carbide/dp/B000PU0MFI/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_b

Edit II: so what would happen if I tried to use a roundover bit twice? would I achieve the same result, or would it on the contrary look like crap?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:12:16 pm by walterg74 »

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2012, 07:46:15 pm »

I have an unrelated question, but it fits in this thread.  Do I need to use a drill press to do the control panel?  I really don't want to buy one just for that one task.
No you don't, a hand drill, some spade bits and a 3 1/2" hole saw for a trackball and you are good.
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

walterg74

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2012, 06:09:58 pm »
Well, started mini step at a time... Drawing the plans onto my first MDF piece... Did all the lines and small curves, and now only one last curve to go: trying to find a practical way to have a stencil/template for a R675,1 mm curve   :o

Guess I'll be moving to project announcements soon (but still leave basics questions on this thread).

:cheers:

walterg74

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2012, 12:10:45 am »
Lo and behold... This thread was not for nothing!

I have indeed started my first project, and the thread can be found here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=120485.0

I'll still keep asking stupid questions here though :)

Thanks!!!  :applaud: