Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Crap MAME II: Crap Harder  (Read 38026 times)

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
Re: Crap MAME II: Crap Harder
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 10:55:59 am »
Careful now, PBJ is sensitive to post stalking...

Are we talking like horse head in my bed careful?  Did I just stomp on the toes of a BYOAC mafia boss?

Lets just say, it didn't end too well for Ms. Pac Man...  :o
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 11:30:24 am »
  • Xiaou2:  Is there a reason why you take out the headers from the quotes showing who posted them?  It's frustrating for this reader.

He, like me, might not have realized there's a "QUOTE" button at the top of each post that you can click.

I'd always just copied the part I was quoting and then clicked the little Quote button in the toolbar, but that doesn't put the headers you mentioned on posts.

Or maybe it's intentional. Dunno. But my missing headers were always either me not realizing (or being lazy and not wanting to cut out everything else in the post, once I had realized it  :angel: But I try not to do that anymore...

Dervacumen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 11:54:20 am »
I don't post a ton but I read a lot and I've been around long enough to know this whole idea violates the spirit of BYOAC.  Host it off site if you must.  IMO, the best way to learn in this hobby is to do stuff and try different things to see what works for you.  I mean, it's in the name of the site, right?  This is not Build The Governing Body's Approved Controls.  And doing sometimes results in less than ideal results.  Discovering those on your own is a big part of the enjoyment of this hobby.  But maybe I need to be kicked in to line because I still don't have a back door on my machine, 5 years later.
I've read CrapMame through to the end three times.  It's funny because of the writing, not because of the content.  It could as easily be written about poor landscape design.
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 12:35:03 pm »
This rings too much to this thread and to be honest isn't a good idea.  But I will contradict myself right here and say Howards idea has some merit in another avenue.

People tend to look at this website to get more information on an expensive purchase, or to start on a project.  This site is very good for information.  In respect of that, it would be great if Saint expanded more on a Review Forum.  We could get a Turnarcades cab out (for example and not to diss Craig) and have a authentic BYOAC review.

This would help the buying public and the seller of the cabinet, through a series of informal and formal discussions.  That would work better.  In addition I would like to see a Forum of what not to do.  Preferably in the Woodworking, Software, Artwork and Restorations forums. 

It would save hours of searching for what not to do, or practices to avoid.  All with positive and productive feedback.  The community and sellers can contribute also.

That would work in my opinion. 
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 12:41:03 pm »
I don't know, if there is a hall of fame, there might as well be a hall of shame.  FWIW, most people come here to learn how to build, and are paranoid about building something that is ugly and unworkable.  It could be helpful to have a database of "projects gone wrong" just to help people out and show them how hideous something can be.  Some people just aren't good at design, and seeing some of these projects might make them re-think the "I think blue lightning and marble paper would be sweet" sort of thinking.  It has to be done well.  Crap mame is there to make fun of people, not so much to critique what is wrong.  Crap mame did help in my build, helps you realize that you have to keep things like monitor size to cab size, and CP width in mind when you build.  I don't think we need to memorialize the failure of people who come here for help.  Usually if someone posts something that is a bad idea in his build thread, he will get constructive criticism to steer him in the right direction, and if they don't follow that advice, then there is plenty of ridicule.

That said, anyone that is trying to sell this garbage is fair game.  Like the famous Track and Field guy.  There is a difference between someone building garbage to satisfy their own warped aesthetic, quite another to commercialize it.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2012, 12:43:15 pm »
I for one did learn a thing or two from the original crapmame. Visually seeing how an idea does not work, IMO, is the best way to avoid duplicating it. The poor execution in those cabinets probably saved more than just a handful people from duplicating those mistakes. It at least makes you seriously look at things like number of buttons to have, width of control panel, materials to use, etc. When all is said and done, it does help people churn out better ideas.

I would like to see some sort of "disasters to avoid" gallery, with all the new types of projects out there, there have been new pitfalls too. I am sure more than a few of us here have made bad mistakes that we want to keep others from making, so we could probably get a lot of creator provided material and put something together without downright bashing peoples work. Maybe it could be put in the wiki or something to keep the ill-spirited heckling away.

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 01:01:20 pm »
You also get a lot of push back too -the franken panel lovers

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 01:05:26 pm »
While the idea of a "what not to do" list sounds good, a lot of people on this forum have funny ideas of what looks good.  It's how we end up with "laptop in cardboard box" designs like Wee-Cade that may look appealing but are horrible as 2 player cabinets and why 2/3s of you have kitchen countertops glued to the side of your games.  

We're just as fad heavy around here as any other hobby and I have to groan when I see some golden oldie bad idea like three control panels on a Midway style cocktail that we were all crazy about in 2005.  In another 5 years we're all going to be rolling our eyes at all the pedestals we're making now.  

Good point.  But I think many people can separate what they personally don't like but still well done from what's just plain sloppy and/or a hindrance to gameplay.

Personally, I hate that "half-octagon" shape panel top, but have seen numerous ones that were very well done and attractive.

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 03:55:45 pm
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 01:47:55 pm »
I am all for constructive criticism, but I think this, the OP, is a bad idea for the larger, overall goal of the BYOAC forum (i.e. bringing in, and encouraging, more people to the hobby.)

Freedom of speech, thick/thin skin whatever, that's fine: but I think you should do it somewhere else. Frankly, I would be kinda shocked if Saint sanctified it by allowing it to happen, even in its' own sub-forum a la P&R.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 02:26:24 pm »
* saint has an opinion but is in lurk mode while people comment.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

elkameleon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 08:31:00 pm
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012, 02:33:13 pm »
I am all for constructive criticism, but I think this, the OP, is a bad idea for the larger, overall goal of the BYOAC forum (i.e. bringing in, and encouraging, more people to the hobby.)

Freedom of speech, thick/thin skin whatever, that's fine: but I think you should do it somewhere else. Frankly, I would be kinda shocked if Saint sanctified it by allowing it to happen, even in its' own sub-forum a la P&R.
+1 to this, but i'm all for a seperate anonymous blog where I can poke fun and laugh ---my bottom--- off. :laugh2:

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2012, 03:03:08 pm »
If someone wants to go make a blog/site like CrapMAME... go ahead.  You'll probably get a few laughs.

The idea of having some kind of ---uvula--- Council at BYOAC to tell people what is good and what isn't though?  Give me a break.  CrapMame works because it's absurd, and it's one guy's opinions.

Turning this into some pseudo-official "committee" is a terrible idea.  Share an opinion on the forums here, and leave it at that.  The internet is already full of ppl pretending they're important - we don't need another one.
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2012, 03:06:10 pm »
* saint has an opinion but is in lurk mode while people comment.

Don't keep us in suspense!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:38:31 pm
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2012, 03:12:11 pm »
I love the idea of awarding MAMEYs or whatever they are called each year for the best projects, themes, new ideas, stand-up, cocktail, rotating, etc.  Have a nomination phase of 2 months (January and February) and then voting in March.  Only allow finished cabs to be nominated or something.  The recognition is definitely encouraging.  I don't think I like the idea of another CrapMAME site though.  We all know it when we see it.   :cheers:

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 03:23:02 pm »
I think it would be helpful if we had some helpful pointers. Like re: 4p cabs - no more than 4 buttons for p3 and p4; the question as to whether a 4p cab is even worth it.

I think most of the disagreement on here is in regards to the CP.  I think we would all agree on simple pointers, like, no batting in the corners of your marquee so that there is no shadows in the corners' make sure your bezel on each side of your monitor is no more than 2-3 inches, build your cab accordingly; a 2p bartop is almost always umplayable for 2p simultaneous play; you don't need that many admin buttons; etc.

Other things are a little more controversial - like the need for a keyboard tray (not needed IMHO)

Artwork and finish are up to personal taste, but as a general rule woody slim cab = sexy; woody CRT cab = bad piece of furniture.  Contact paper has no place on a cab.  T-molding is always recommended, a bezel is necessary, etc...

I think if we stay away from the CP, there are things most of us can agree on, but even with regards to the CP, I think we can mostly agree that the CP shouldn't be more than a few inches wider than the cab (some would say no wider than the cab at all).  I think we can all agree that controls should be positioned so that they are usable, for example if you want a trackball, it should be in the center, and it should be mounted so you don't see the mounting plate and you should be able to use it without jamming your fingers into anything.

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2012, 03:27:21 pm »
I agree with your are saying for the most part, but a slim woody maybe sexy to you but to me it spells poor display solution that will hinder the experience as much as a poor control panel.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:31:22 pm
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012, 03:34:12 pm »
Anyone here ever read Orwells Animal Farm? - "two players good, four players BAAAAAD" (and it all seemed like such a good idea at the time).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:36:20 pm by Ond »

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 03:37:28 pm »
Donkbaca, I have to say you hit it on the head. 99% of cabinet mistakes "questionable design choices" involve the control panel. Yeah shelf paper is ugly, small monitors in big cabs is unattractive and poor side art is not visually appealing but if the control panel is all there, you can still play an enjoyable game. Even if you're not an arcade purist, there's still a lot less wiggle room for "creativity" when it comes to having a good panel that other parts of the cabinet.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 07:57:00 pm »
I didn't expect this to blow up in my face like it did, but I'm glad that people pulled the thread back on track and started getting the discussion going again... that was the whole point btw... I dunno why people get so huffy all the time.  ;)

CrapMAME II isn't happening, at least not officially. 

I think I irony here is I saw it as a positive thing and wanted to make the new one have full transparency to keep it positive.  That's why I suggested things like a review board, and letting everyone know what was going on ect..... The irony comes in that some people, the same people who were concerned about such an idea being negative, bombarded this thread with non-constructive, wholey negative comments that basically "ran me off" from the idea.  Now I'm not mad about it... I just thought it would be something fun the whole community could take part in rather than endless posts about comic book movies. 

It just makes wonder if people realize that even by opposing something you deem as negative, thusly trying to keep things positive from your perspective, you can actually generate much more negativity than the original idea based on how you handle your response.  That goes for me as well, but at least I'm aware of it.  ;)

Anyway, there goes my Dr. Phil moment....  I'm going to concentrate on the awards thread that spawned from this so some portion of this idea can be salvaged.

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2012, 08:07:06 pm »
I think there is merit in helping people that don't have a firm grasp in design by showing them examples of things gone terribly wrong.  It can even be a crap mame thing.  Just don't say stuff like, "that CP looks like my cat ate all my buttons and then diarrhead all over a sheet of MDF"  Instead you can say something like, "this is an example of how too many admin buttons can clutter up a CP".

Unless someone is trying to sell the cab, then game on. 

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2012, 08:19:44 pm »
Anyone here ever read Orwells Animal Farm? - "two players good, four players BAAAAAD" (and it all seemed like such a good idea at the time).
If you follow US politics, it is pretty clear that many many people  **cough cough**99 percent kids**cough cough** have not read Animal Farm.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2012, 08:33:11 pm »
have you read animal farm? The whole "all animals are equal but some are more equal than others" is a phrase that demonstrates the corruption of the leadership and how they serve their own interest, not that of the people.  So the 99% would probably say that they are demonstrating against the pigs who have grown out of touch...  unless I am missing your point

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:41 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2012, 08:39:08 pm »
have you read animal farm? The whole "all animals are equal but some are more equal than others" is a phrase that demonstrates the corruption of the leadership and how they serve their own interest, not that of the people.  So the 99% would probably say that they are demonstrating against the pigs who have grown out of touch...  unless I am missing your point
:stupid
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2012, 09:18:52 pm »
Howard, you can't name your thread Crap MAME II:  Crap Harder and then expect people to think that you wanted to keep it positive.  I think a well written powerpoint PDF showing various CPs and cabs of questionable design systematically critiqued and then put up in a no nonsense "Common mistakes of first time cab builders" thread would go far to meet the same end without stepping on any toes.  You could even use the cabs from Crap Mame as there are plenty of examples that could be more genuinely explored.  That doesn't even take a committee, just somebody with a good eye for what works in this hobby and a bit of free time. 

There will always be cabs of varying quality, I think that's a biblical truth or something.  That said, I'm glad to see the brakes pumped on this one and glad to have you over on the other thread trying to work out a different approach.   :cheers:     

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2012, 12:22:05 am »
Howard, you can't name your thread Crap MAME II:  Crap Harder and then expect people to think that you wanted to keep it positive.  I think a well written powerpoint PDF showing various CPs and cabs of questionable design systematically critiqued and then put up in a no nonsense "Common mistakes of first time cab builders" thread would go far to meet the same end without stepping on any toes.  You could even use the cabs from Crap Mame as there are plenty of examples that could be more genuinely explored.  That doesn't even take a committee, just somebody with a good eye for what works in this hobby and a bit of free time. 

There will always be cabs of varying quality, I think that's a biblical truth or something.  That said, I'm glad to see the brakes pumped on this one and glad to have you over on the other thread trying to work out a different approach.   :cheers:     

Sure I can!  Crap MAME II:  Crap Harder is a funny title.... it was intentionally titled that to emphasize just how light-hearted the whole thing was supposed to be.  If people didn't get that then I can only assume that they have a poor sense of humor. 

Yeah a well thought out pdf with bullet points.... sounds entertaining....I'm sure the newbies would really want to read that.  ;) 

No, it actually does take a committee, it gives weight to the content.  Otherwise it's just "some guy telling you what to do".

But I get that nobody else gets that, and THIS is why I stopped this discussion.  ;)

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2012, 01:17:16 am »
If people didn't get that then I can only assume that they have a poor sense of humor. 
newbies
But I get that nobody else gets that, and THIS is why I stopped this discussion.  ;)

::)

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:31:22 pm
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2012, 03:36:33 am »

So I guess what I was saying with that rather oblique reference (what's the point OND this topic is done?) is that if your going to have any sort of judging of peoples cab creations there's a risk that 'good design dogma' delivered in a negative way does not produce the claimed outcome of steering misguided newbies into good design principles.  To put it simply. some ain't as  thick skinned as others, one persons 'constructive' mocking is another's exit sign from the hobby.  But like I said from one idea, comes another.....  Some ideas sound good in theory to some folk, but before you know it you've got a police state.. K, I'll shutup now  :P

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:16:49 pm
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2012, 10:53:11 pm »
Howard, if you like CRAP, you should keep'it too yourself. Not everyone likes crap.  :cheers:
But on a seirius note, being that negative can discourage alot of first timers on this hobby.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2012, 09:52:38 am »
I'm a little surprised someones not selling overlay stickers to go on top of a tankstick, ie MK, SF, classics, generic ones.  Seems like there would be a market for it and it would get away from having that big red x looking not so hot and obvious.  i guess arcade art is too subjective.  The size and shape in and of itself is not intrinsically crappy.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2012, 01:32:16 pm »
I have not read any of this thread.  I just keep clicking on it hoping to see pictures, but there are none.

Tighe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2023, 10:19:57 pm

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2013, 11:51:35 am »

Thanks for digging this turd back up.  Seriously.   :banghead:

Here's some fish you can microwave for lunch while you schedule a meeting for 5pm today.

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:38:07 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2013, 01:20:04 pm »
I have not read any of this thread.  I just keep clicking on it hoping to see pictures, but there are none.

Ditto.  The name sucked me right in.   

Such a thread would have to go down the crapper at some point.....by name alone.

Trashing CL and ebay cabs is all fine and dandy...probably well deserved.  On the flip side, reviews of cabs (voluntary or otherwise) will more than likely drive people away from the forums.  I know a good build when I see one and the forum has done an excellent job of showing the good, bad, and ugly without the need of a formal review process. 

As far as cost goes, it is relatively inexpensive to rebuild a control panel with existing components. 

Last but not least, what constitutes a good cab versus a bad cab is really subjective.  Sure, one thing is overall presentation but different design considerations are driven by different circumstances.  (admin buttons, dedicated mouse buttons, etc.)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2013, 01:22:19 pm »

Yep.  My MAME cab is ugly as crap and all "stuff in hand" materials but it plays really well.  That's all we cared about when we built tha tone.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2013, 01:32:19 pm »
I haven't been able to even get Crapmame 1 working lately. Last time I tried, I think I had a 404 by page 9 and couldn't move on. Tried manually entering in the page number and nothing seemed to work until like page 23.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2013, 01:40:17 pm »
This thread was the impotus of the UCAs.  Probably one of the most important threads I've been a part of during my stay her on Saint's site.  Without this there might not have been that. 

rpgposer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2018, 11:46:12 am
  • PSO lover.
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2013, 02:34:53 pm »
*Secretly worries that his cab will be the centerpiece of CrapMame II.
Never met a game I won't keep.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Re: Re: Crap MAME II: Crap Harder
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2013, 02:55:49 pm »
*Secretly worries that his cab will be the centerpiece of CrapMame II.

You mean hopes, right?

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2013, 03:29:03 pm »
When I make Urkelcade, I would be offended if it wasn't on crapmame II.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2013, 03:37:24 pm »
If you make Urkelcade, I will help print the artwork for free. I want to see this get done.