Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Family'Cade : a cabinet for everone in the family  (Read 3989 times)

eLR!C

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2015, 08:45:11 am
  • On the way to my first upright cab !
Family'Cade : a cabinet for everone in the family
« on: August 18, 2013, 05:25:38 pm »
As many, I always dreamt since I was a kid to have _my_own_ arcade cabinet ...
Years have passed and google introduced me to Project Mame ... As my children barely know what an arcade is and we really enjoy playing video games together, I started a cab that can be used by anyone in the family : that means easy to use, old console games as well as pure arcade ones and a design far from fighting games :)

So here it is, nearly finished (I still have to finish painted T-molding / artwork and to tune the software part of it, which is a custom front-end developed in python / pygame)

I will post some more photos when everything is finished

Children are happy ... and so is the father
Thanks everyone on the forums for all the advices, tips, passion and inspiration

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
Re: Family'Cade : a cabinet for everone in the family
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 05:33:37 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:52:44 pm by Louis Tully »

UFO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2022, 06:37:12 pm
  • Im nearly out of unproductive things to do at work
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 05:35:10 pm »
I really like it - very family friendly!

Have you routed for the t-molding yet? Can't quite tell from the picture ... gonna make a hell of a mess if not!

:cheers:

Edit: Sorry, think I saw you are painting the t-molding on...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:12:13 pm by UFO »

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 06:13:01 pm »
I really like it - very family friendly!

Have you routed for the t-molding yet? Can't quite tell from the picture ... gonna make a hell of a mess if not!

:cheers:

Nope he either plum forgot or its not gonna have it.  From the looks of those sharp 90 degree angles, I'm assuming no t-molding.

If yes, as UFO stated, get ready for a helluva mess.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 10:18:22 pm »
looks good...i like the shape of the cabinet
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

eLR!C

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2015, 08:45:11 am
  • On the way to my first upright cab !
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 05:59:41 am »
Thanks for all the comments !

What seems to be the family favorite so far? Trog and Metal Slug are top favs here.
For the time being, I introduced the young ones to "Bubble Bobble" and "Asterix & Obelix", but my older son already felt for After Burner :)
BTW, I'm really a fan of that mini Galaga of yours ... may try to build one in the future as I have a broken DS lying around

Edit: Sorry, think I saw you are painting the t-molding on...
Indeed, it will be a painted one (with a white frame, 1cm large all around the sides). On next one, I'll surely route the sides at the very beginning  ::)

looks good...i like the shape of the cabinet
Thanks. I was also impressed by the look it has (thanks ProjectMame !) and how it sounds like a real one with a simple 2+1 computer audio set

What is good in this kind of project is that I was able to re-use a lot of parts I had laying around : various PC components, 19" screen, wood, audio system, teenuts (great for any cab, would it be a guitar one or an arcade one :)), ikea screws, etc.
It helps keeping the project cost under control (it's awesome how much one can charge you for a spare USB cable)

I will polish the software side a bit an publish it later on a repo, plus some advices for anyone wanting to build a Linux based cab (so it boots quickly and directly to game menu)