Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JLWs with Smoothjoy switches work great. Omni2 had issues  (Read 2348 times)

mgb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
JLWs with Smoothjoy switches work great. Omni2 had issues
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:53:34 am »
Ok, so my original plan for my cp was to just have two Sanwa JLWs with Controller 1 always used for 8-way and Controller 2 typically left at 4-way and then I would set it for 8-way when needed (for Robotron, Rescue, etc. Or for a second player)
So I really wanted a convenient way of swapping between 4 and 8-way. I've thought about going the servo route but life is so busy right now I don't really have the time to get into that. I didn't really want Magsticks.
So I went and tried the new Omni2 from GGG. It looks just like a JLW. I received and gave it a shot. I ordered it with the Zippy smooth joy switches.
This stick is very close looking to the JLW but with a somewhat thicker shaft and then of course it has that modified restrictor plate which is really nothing more than a JLW copy but installed upside down with a little plastic spacer screwed to it for switching.
Kinda cheesy and I felt the stick was a little expensive for what it is. But it was simple enough and $30 wasn't gonna kill me. I tested it out and found right away that the stick was not returning to center, it was sticking. I installed the heavey spring from my JLW and it seemed ok.
After a while of testing, the stick started getting real wonky. It was grinding and again not returning to center. Maybe I did something wrong, I don't know, but I know I didn't have these problems with my JLWs.
So I resolved to put my trusted JLW back in for Controller 2 but this time I used the Zippy Smoothjoy switches and the "modified" restrictor plate from the Omni2.
I love this setup now.
This stick is easy enough to switch between 4 and 8-way by reaching up through the coin door and it works flawlessly in either mode. I love the smoothjoy switches, they are almost void of any click. And keep in mind I don't have a wood cp, its metal so there's not as much there to block the click (I did install thin wood spacers and rubber gaskets on the joysticks)
Any way I just wanted to share what I thought works well for my setup.
Next time I will just modify the plate my self. I think Randy should sell these plates separately

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:02:33 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: JLWs with Smoothjoy switches work great. Omni2 had issues
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:32:08 pm »
So I went and tried the new Omni2 from GGG. It looks just like a JLW. I received and gave it a shot. I ordered it with the Zippy smooth joy switches.
This stick is very close looking to the JLW but with a somewhat thicker shaft and then of course it has that modified restrictor plate which is really nothing more than a JLW copy but installed upside down with a little plastic spacer screwed to it for switching.
Kinda cheesy and I felt the stick was a little expensive for what it is. But it was simple enough and $30 wasn't gonna kill me. I tested it out and found right away that the stick was not returning to center, it was sticking. I installed the heavey spring from my JLW and it seemed ok.

This is the first complaint I have seen about a centering problem.  It appears to be an isolated incident that shouldn't be happening, and one that unfortunately didn't reveal itself when I built it.  If you would like to return the unit, I will be happy to replace it for you.

There is also more to the build than what you described.  I'm sure you noticed that the attachment of the plate to the stick is very different than the simple (often loose fitting) screws used to normally secure the restrictor.  This is the primary difference in the design, not just the different restrictor plate.  The extra parts, labor and adjustment time are what account for the cost, and the price tag barely covers it.

But please do send me an email, and consider returning the unit.  I don't want you to have to accept something that is not 100% as it should be.  We take care of any issues, but you have to let us know about them ;).

RandyT
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:13:39 pm by RandyT »

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 04:41:16 pm »
Hey Randy,
 Thanks. I tried to be careful when wording this thread but I could have been more careful. Like I said, it could have been something I did. It was weird because I tried the stick before installing it and it seemed nice. I'm not gonna do a return. I took it apart and used the plate, switches and nuts and screws on my JLW.
I'm definitely not a dissattisfied customer. I have ordered from you in the past and I will in the future. You did me right with my spinner issue a couple of months ago (my fault) and all of the products I have ordered from you have been good.
Im wondering if I somehow bound it up when installing it.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:02:33 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 05:30:30 pm »
Not a problem :).

It's possible there was an issue during installation, but probably not too likely.  The base may have had some issue which didn't present itself immediately with the heavy force (and very clicky) stock switches, but which later manifested with the lighter SmoothJoy switches.

As a side note, the use of heavy springs is actually a poor solution to a centering problem with a "ball joint" type stick, and I tend to cringe a little when I see it suggested.  This has the net effect of increasing the friction between ball and socket, and can actually make the situation worse in some cases.  It sounds like this was the case with the heavier JLW spring.  Some heavy silicone lube, or something else which stays slippery and is highly viscous, is usually a better solution, as this will reduce friction without changing the pressure between the two parts.  It hasn't been necessary, other than this occurrence, but I'll start adding a dab when I build them as it can't hurt.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:17:45 pm »
I actually do use grease on my Sanwas but for some reason I didn't use it on this.