Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pedestal Build  (Read 3092 times)

Broncofan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2016, 01:41:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Pedestal Build
« on: April 02, 2016, 11:41:36 pm »
Started my cabinet build yesterday.  It is heavily inspired by jikkjack's Golden Tee pedestal build. I am replacing a GT 2005 machine that I converted to a pedestal.  I thought it would be cool to have the other games available and still be able to play GT on it as well.  So, my 1st goal was to reproduce the GT experience, but I am struggling with the x-arcade controls reproducing the same experience.  I bought the kit from x-arcade.  Mainly due to the price compared to buying the pieces individually from anywhere else. I am regretting the trackball purchase, but other than that it has worked out pretty well. I will probably end up replacing the trackball with something else. I am still playing around with the layout for the panel, but I think I will end up with 6 buttons per joystick, P1, P2 and a couple coin buttons. 

It is built out of 3/4 MDO (sides and front) and 1/2 mdf (back).  I ended up using the template provided by jikkjack and riggimg up a projector out of a shoebox, magnifying glass, and my phone to trace the pattern on the mdf.  Then I used a trim router bit to cut the MDO to match.

I also have some diamond plate that I plan on using for the kick plate. I plan on painting it black and keeping the rest black and white themed.  I have some black and white gloss latex paint that I plan on using after a good coat of primer.  I also ordered some t-molding for the edges.

I have asked my teenage daughter to help me design the control panel art and she agreed.  I am anxious to see what she comes up with as she is an excellent artist, and even though she agreed, she doesn't seem as interested in the project as I am.  I guess she will get to it sometime.  Hopefully by the time I finish the rest or I am not sure what I will do.

I bought an i5-4690k processor, motherboard and ram for the computer.  It seems to run just about anything I have thrown at it, up to n64 games.  It starts to struggle with n64 games.

Anyways, more pics to come as I progress.  I welcome any feedback.

Brian12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2016, 07:23:57 pm
  • Today is a new day...
Re: Pedestal Build
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 10:43:38 am »
Looks good!....im def watching this thread as im about to do the same thing you are...I was going to take the template to Kinko's and print it out (around $10?)...but the projector idea is good...building this is happening in the next week or 2...GOOD LUCK!

-Brian

Broncofan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2016, 01:41:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Pedestal Build
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 01:13:40 pm »
Got some time to work on the cabinet this weekend.  I got the diamond plate attached and the primer and paint on. I am not happy with the way the paint turned out.  I can see roller marks in the dried paint and it is really bugging me. 

When I went to purchase the paint, I had every intention of getting oil based paint and primer.  I went with the oil based primer since I am using MDO and MDF, but the guy at Menard's talked me into the high gloss latex. 

I wonder if oil-based would be better?  Is it my technique?  It was about 75 degrees and fairly humid.  I am not sure if that was a factor?  I used a foam roller, would a different roller be better?  I do have a cheap HVLP sprayer that I can use.  I will probably end up sanding or stripping this off and starting again.  If I don't start completely over, I might try the sprayer and see if I get any better results.

Anyways, not happy with the results.  Any pointers are appreciated.