Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Point of Sale (POS) touchscreen unit into Bartop Touchmaster machine?  (Read 5468 times)

jtslade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 08:02:12 pm
  • Keep it looking originallish!
Turn one of these into a...

Minitronix MP5000M 15" system

http://www.mintronix.com/mp15.htm

What kind of obstacles am I going to face? I will have to get some small speakers, but what about the FE and the fact that it has no buttons?

But Magictouch 5k or 4k or whatever into freeplay sure.. But what am I missing. I am looking to buy a bunch of these used and convert them into bartop units for friends.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:28:12 am by jtslade »
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
Re: Point of Sale (POS) touchscreen unit into Bartop Touchmaster machine?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:59:11 am »
One of the issues that could pop up is what type of processor it has in it.  I have a POS machine (I don't have the specs with me to compare) but it runs a VIA processor.  I tried a few different things but it doesn't have the cpu power to run a lot.  I eventually just put jukebox software on it and gave it to my daughters for music.

Pulled up the link and it runs a Celeron-M which could be ok for older versions of Mame.  You'll need to use MAWS to find out in what version the Touchmaster roms were added and see which you can get running on it.

You can set Windows to boot right into Mame and launch a particular rom so you wouldn't need buttons.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:28:17 am »
Simple Touch FE is a great front end to launch other programs.   It is designed for Touch Screens.

I use it to allow my jukebox to be used with more than just a juke program.

jtslade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 02:14:16 pm »
I loaded XP on the POS system, loaded drivers and it run TouchMaster 5k smooth... I am having some trouble getting the touch screen to register in-game.

I'll play with the ELO drivers and the mame.Ini settings tomorrow.

The version is mame 1.38
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.

jtslade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:24:15 am »
So no luck today...

So the touchscreen in this unit is connected via COM1 so its a serial connection.

The touch screen can move around the "TAB" menu in a game, but even with lightgun enabled I don't get any response.

Anyone have the INI settings exact for a ELO touchscreen in mame?

Should I use a different mame version.(on 1.38 right now)?

I feel like I am close but just barely missing something...

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 01:44:49 pm »
Do you have everything working on the touchscreen outside of Mame?  Your drivers are correct and update so that in Windows, you can use the screen to open or close files, windows, etc?

Also, it may be easier to get everything setup in Mame using a keyboard and mouse initially.  Then, once it's configured properly, you should be able to do everything using only the touchscreen.  But I wouldn't try setting it up using only the touchscreen to start.  That's much too cumbersome.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:05:52 pm by Hoopz »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2024, 03:37:41 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 03:12:23 pm »
So no luck today...

So the touchscreen in this unit is connected via COM1 so its a serial connection.

The touch screen can move around the "TAB" menu in a game, but even with lightgun enabled I don't get any response.

Anyone have the INI settings exact for a ELO touchscreen in mame?

Should I use a different mame version.(on 1.38 right now)?

I feel like I am close but just barely missing something...

The way light guns are handled in mame changed along the way.
Counter-intuitive, but don't enable light guns.  Make sure -mouse is enabled.

Map the axis in MAME like this:
http://derrick.mameworld.info/lightgun/Act_Labs_Light_Guns_on_XP.html
(scroll down about halfway)

The touchmaster games are more processor hungry than you'd expect.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:16:27 pm by BadMouth »

jtslade

• Offline Offline
Ok so finally success!!!

1st I downloaded and updated the drivers to the default ones from the POS system vendor:
http://www.mintronix.com/driver.htm

Then setting the touchscreen to mouse emulation (as said in other touchscreen posts)..

I then deleted the mame.ini file and all CFG files in the CFG folder and the individual ini files in the main folder for each Touchmaster game ( I played with both writeconfig on and off)

So with no mame.ini and also erased all the NV files for nonvolatile ram in the NV folder for each game.

started the game up (Touchmaster 5K) and then exited. Mouse was plugged into USB and the ELO touchscreen is hooked up via COM1 serial (internal to POS Touchscreen system).

exit game and open up the config file that is created in the main mame directory.

only changed lightgun to lightgun in input section of the file.

started Touchmaster 5K back up and went into the TAB menu.

It took a while but I mapped the X axis in (This Game) setup by slowly swiping my finger across the X axis (after hitting enter of course).
It took several tries to get it right, otherwise it would map the axis to X and Y.

I left the crosshairs on so that I could see if it was off.

Entered the games service menu and set it to free-play.

Everything is working great on Mame 1.38

Now I need to setup the other games, work on the touchscreen Front End, find some small self powered (or usb) speakers that can be hidden on the back.

Also I need to find what other games would be good. The processor on this runs all of the Magic Touch games at full speed!

Point Blank could be fun?

jtslade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 07:37:01 am »
Anyone know where to find the Fruit machine emulators and any IGT slot machine emulators ???

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 08:10:13 am »
PM Sent  ;)

Necro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2022, 08:22:22 pm
  • Building a 'Classic' MAME Cab
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 09:00:00 am »
So...where'd you get that thing and how much was it?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2024, 03:37:41 pm
It took a while but I mapped the X axis in (This Game) setup by slowly swiping my finger across the X axis (after hitting enter of course).
It took several tries to get it right, otherwise it would map the axis to X and Y.

The thing with mapping a touchscreen is that MAME looks for where the cursor has moved relative to its last known position.
It works easier if you just tap instead of swiping, but you have to tap once before mapping the control to establish a last known position.
(and not tap again until it's waiting for input to map the control)

Mapping the axis goes like this:

Tap the left side of the screen before mapping the axis.  Use keyboard keys to navigate to the x axis input and use ENTER to select it for mapping.
Now touch the right side of the screen directly accross from where you touched the first time.  If you touch too far higher or lower, you've also moved on the Y axis.

Before mapping the Y axis, touch the bottom of the screen.  Use keyboard keys to navigate to the y axis input and use ENTER to select it for mapping.
Now touch the screen directly above where you touched the last time.  If you touch too far left or right, you've also moved on the X axis.
 (it's really not that picky)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:09:19 am by BadMouth »