Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Situation resolved.  (Read 5266 times)

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
Situation resolved.
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:47:02 am »
OK, so here is the situation: as many of you know, John of Darkkniyt/Basement Arcade Grafx was out of commission for a while due to a serious car wreck (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112129.0), explained in that thread. I was a supporter of John and waited for him to come back to give him some business. He returned about a month ago and advertised that he was accepting new orders. Nonetheless, I am feeling a little stuck. Here is a timeline:

Paid Invoice on 7/22

Art was to arrive around 8/16

On 8/18 I emailed him, no response

Today, 8/22, I called the number on the invoice, 517-565-3282, and it was disconnected.

I don't know what to do.. I have been flexible and supportive but I have no way of contacting him. It has been 20 days since he was active on this forum. I have started a paypal dispute, and I am sorry to say, I recommend others do too, as you only have 45 days after payment to do so (in my case it has already been a month).

Does anyone have any info on John, his current state of well being, or how to contact him? How many others have outstanding orders with him?

I did not put this in John's thread in case things turn out good, this post can be removed.

edit: changed "getting burnt" to "waiting for art" in title, as I want to make sure I am being fair.

edit 8/30: title change, situation was resolved positively, no complaints.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:03:36 pm by thefearsomefearful »
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Basement Arcade Grafx Situation- who else is getting burnt?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:36:13 pm »
Edit: Nevermind, it never showed up. I get it now.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:40:21 pm by Nephasth »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 12:43:18 pm »
Because I have no way to contact John. The venues I used to place the order now get no response. I consider that burnt- ie, a transaction I should not have made. I would not be calling him out without reason, and I hope everything is ok with him (part of that is selfish- I want my artwork so I can finish my control panel!  :cheers:)
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 02:39:34 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 12:55:00 pm »
John's a good guy, but I don't blame you one bit. If the accident is as serious as it seemed, the last thing he needs to worry about is this stuff. However, you as a buyer are well within your rights to want your money back, especially if you can't get ahold of him. I just hope he didn't take a turn for the worse or that being seriously hurt didn't affect his financial situation. Good luck TFF AND John.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
Re: The Basement Arcade Grafx Situation- who else is waiting for art?
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 01:52:41 pm »
No response to email is one thing, disconnected phone is an entirely different.  I would have done the same.

Hope everything works on both ends of this. 

clickhea

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 07:33:40 am
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 02:04:29 pm »
i been waiting over 2 months now for my artwork (too long now to do a paypal dispute) and the guy just totally disappeared.  My project has been on hold these past 2 months waiting for the artwork, iam very dissapointed.  ALso it looks like iam out 50 bucks now.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 03:38:47 pm »
i been waiting over 2 months now for my artwork (too long now to do a paypal dispute) and the guy just totally disappeared.  My project has been on hold these past 2 months waiting for the artwork, iam very dissapointed.  ALso it looks like iam out 50 bucks now.

Very sorry to hear it, clickhea.

those prices seemed a little too good to be true to me.

I think you were right!

We'll see if I can get anything out of paypal. Gameongrafix is going to get a new order soon.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 06:01:03 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 04:50:05 pm »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 04:55:21 pm »
Yes, via PM. He is also unable to contact John, said he'll try to keep the forum in the loop.

Anyone talk to his 'partner', Firebat138, AKA Eric?

For reference:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=112129.msg1200582#msg1200582

edit: spelling

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 01:20:35 pm
  • Head Brewer and Arcade Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 04:57:50 pm »
Just wanted to chime in here...  I also have had trouble getting a hold of John.  Tried all of his numbers and email and even I cant get a hold of him.  So I must assume it must be more serious than we have been told.  

Being he owns his own machines and is retired, I find PBJ's reply insulting and seriously don't understand why he continues or frankly is allowed to continue posting...  If anyone took the time to actually do the math and calculate you would see that it is in fact a good deal, and he is making a SMALL profit.  Frankly he enjoys doing and it keeps him busy, so please keep ur theories to yourself.  I would offer to print out any grafx that are being waited on, but frankly we dont have the vinyl material handy here...  Just photo gloss paper, which is good enough for marquees, but not sideart or etc...  

I am going to check with the local print place downstairs and see if they would perhaps donate a roll in good faith, etc...  that way we can get you guys the artwork you need.  
Click below to see my Metal Gear/Splinter Cell Machine... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108360.0

Click below to see my PinCab - PinWARS
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164660.0.html

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 05:08:26 pm »
 If anyone took the time to actually do the math and calculate you would see that it is in fact a good deal, and he is making a SMALL profit.

It was definitely a good deal, and I was happy to see another competitor in the market, always good for the community, especially when it isn't all about profit. Unfortunately, no artwork is not a good deal at all.

See what you can do, I would still love to see my artwork printed (and even more so, would love to see clickhea's artwork printed, as he has been waiting twice as long), but it would have to be the same quality/materials I originally commissioned.

Thanks for the info, Firebat!  :cheers:

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 06:02:31 pm »
UPDATE:  Oh... and I am ignoring the reply above...almost...  I sense it may just go away...

I called John again today and got a hold of him.  I will let him tell you all the details, but he was in a coma for a while and barely getting around.  He is aware of all the orders that need to be filled and we are working on a solution.  We are probably several weeks away before he can start fulfilling orders, but in the meantime I am working on getting some of the orders out.  During the whole accident, he was in the process of moving and at the current time has no internet, the phone number is different... but the print shop is almost set up or perhaps is basically complete.  I am contacting a local print place that I have a very good relationship with, to see if they would either donate material or even print things at cost, for those who absolutely NEED their works immediately.  why they would do this is of no ones concern.  :-)  Its what good natured people would do.  

I can assure you that ALL orders will be fulfilled.  John is sending me all the orders in the next couple of days when everything is set up and we will go from there..  He is extremely grateful for all the support you guys have given him and he is still willing to give refunds if you so choose, but I just ask to please be patient...  :-)  Thanx all...   Now back to my latest hobby... Homebrew....  you guys really need to get into this..  :-)

if anyone needs to get a hold of ME, PM me or email me at eric AT basementarcadegrafx dot com   I will send you my phone number...

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 06:08:01 pm by Firebat138 »
Click below to see my Metal Gear/Splinter Cell Machine... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108360.0

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 06:37:05 pm »
Thanks firebat. I am sending you an email right now. If you are the official "rep" now and can give me some answers, then that is good enough for me. Hopefully I will have art (or a refund) soon.  :cheers:

upprc04

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2021, 01:25:59 am
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 10:29:02 am »

Why would an unrelated third party donate a roll to you?

Anyway, truth be told, I'm really disappointed to hear this news as I *had* done the math and planned on having this guy print Konkey Dong artwork for me.  In my opinion, something always stunk about this guy from the beginning when he was never showing pictures of anything he actually printed.

:dunno

I had received art from him in the past and have pictures posted in my project thread.  - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110767.0

I was very happy with the artwork I received.  Hopefully he will be able to contact everyone soon and get things resolved.  I would hold off until you can get better communication, but if that does happen I would recommend him and have shown that he has printed stuff in the past.  My artwork was printed closer to the beginning of the year (around February I think), before his accident.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 05:57:20 pm »
Ok, just an update. Spoke with Eric/Firebat, who was very understanding. Nonetheless I am pursuing a refund and canceling my order with Basement Arcade Grafx. I have a new number to call for John, where I have left two messages, in the last two days, but it is one of those generic voice-mail announcements so I'm not sure if my messages are going anywhere at all. So, at this point I am relying on Paypal for the refund, which I am not worried too much about.

Have put in an order at GameOnGrafix, price difference was $20 for the same order. The potential for getting artwork without a run-around? Priceless.  :applaud:

If John's barriers to communication, be they health related or whatever, clear up, it may be worth contacting him in the future. Otherwise I recommend going with another company for game art.

Thanks to all who've helped me figure this out.

Now, a dancing Barack, for no reason.  :gobama

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 02:39:34 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 06:03:10 pm »
Glad to hear you got some resolution there.

I hope John can get things back on track. I've received 3 items from him, all great quality, but of course that was pre-accident. I'd buy from him again once he gets things back in order, but that should be the least of his worries right now.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 11:10:35 pm »
Strange...???  He was a ---smurfing--- coma... after trying to call him several times, I went on with my life and felt that he would contact us whenever he could...  He handles the printing, I handle the grafx...  Again...  I dont see why you even have to contribute to anything at all as you have no dealing with us at all...  But you are free to express your dumbass opinion....  It actually has driven my sales up a little...  :-)

Sooo...  i did contact the local grafx place and YES, they are going to deal with us...  I will contact John tomorrow to make arrangements for getting the orders and such... 

Fearsom:  If you give me ur paypal email, I will refund ur money in the meantime and then settle up with John later...

Click:  same deal...  But if you want ur prints, send me the artwork, parameters, etc...  PM me for my cell...  We can speak in person...

John should be on in the next couple of says...  I know it sucks, and I would have acted the same in most ways....  But just please understand that John is here to stay, he built an ADDITION to his new home to do the printing and does superb work...  We have created many cool designs for the Spirits of the Arcade posters and many other specialized grafx, so we are here to keep the game alive as they say...  One of my bosses may be getting me to build a custom arcade for his man room, so that will be fun.  All this while making our own beer in the downtime.  :-) 

If any of you are in the Delaware area...hit me up and we can enjoy a couple of homebrews...  :-)

Again, please contact me directly with any issues...

Eric

UPDATE:  Oh... and I am ignoring the reply above...almost...  I sense it may just go away...

:dunno

I personally think it's pretty strange you would lose contact with your 'business partner' for a month and don't pick up the phone until people here start wondering where the heck their money and/or artwork is.

Don't blame me, blame folks like RAM Controls that have made me jittery when I start hearing complex sob stories.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 04:45:06 pm »

Fearsom:  If you give me ur paypal email, I will refund ur money in the meantime and then settle up with John later...

Is this still a possibility? I emailed you concerning this on Wednesday. Have you disappeared too?

John should be on in the next couple of days... 

He hasn't, and he hasn't responded to my calls. Why is it you can get ahold of him on his cell but he will not call me back?

But just please understand that John is here to stay, he built an ADDITION to his new home to do the printing and does superb work...

Then he needs to step up and contact me, as letting this continue is not helping him or you if you are his partner. He needs to show he is still present/alive and aware that he has customers he left hanging-- again, I ordered with him AFTER he returned from his accident, and solicited new orders on the forum, lest anyone think I am kicking him when he is down. Sorry to drag this out to the forums again, but it seems the only way I can get a response. And I know I am not the only customer left hanging.

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 05:25:48 pm »
Hey...  just pm'ed ya...  send me the details to my basmentarcade email and I will get refund... 

I should clarify the partner thing.... I am the artist...  He is the printer....  that is the extent...  The graphics I do for my others that people contact me about are soley mine...  I see no money from the printing that he is doing, unless I was directly involved in the artwork.  So I am taking a risk and money out of my pocket as well to refund, that I NEVER saw.  :-)  But I trust John will get well...  I DIG guys...

Call me on my cell if you have any questions... 

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 05:38:37 pm »
Hey...  just pm'ed ya...  send me the details to my basmentarcade email and I will get refund... 

I should clarify the partner thing.... I am the artist...  He is the printer....  that is the extent...  The graphics I do for my others that people contact me about are soley mine...  I see no money from the printing that he is doing, unless I was directly involved in the artwork.  So I am taking a risk and money out of my pocket as well to refund, that I NEVER saw.  :-)  But I trust John will get well...  I DIG guys...

Call me on my cell if you have any questions... 

I emailed you the info again... did you delete the last one? I emailed you the copy of the invoice before so you know I am legit. Personally, i think you are making a mistake standing up for John at this point, but if it gets me my full refund back quicker than paypal then I am all for it. I just want to be done with this.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 08:59:10 am »

Seriously, you don't have to refund my money. John took it, and it sounds like he is not communicating with either of us. One way or the other paypal will get me my money back... but don't offer publicly (twice) and then not follow through. It just makes it worse. If you don't want to issue me a refund, just say so. You've tried to help, and I appreciate it.

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 10:08:08 am »
hey man, just emailed ya again and wanted to state it in the forum as well...  I know you sent me the invoice, and yes I deleted it from my phone, but it was on my computer at work...  Power back on now and finally got cable back on...Kids were going nuts...  lol...  I think we played every board game in the house....  by flashlight...  lol

I hope everyone understands that I AM trying to help and not get burned in the process by refunding several hundred dollars, then people still filing claims against john and getting refunds and etc...  I am going to call paypal to see if this is the best course of action... 

Kevin...  you are the only one who has talked with me and I know your legit....  I had one person contact me that WONT call me, let me call them , or give me any other information except the refund needs to be $60.00.  seems strange that it is an even number...  No order number, no artwork details, nothing...

I know I am not making a mistake, or at least I hope I am not. 

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 09:02:18 am »
Another update:

Still have not gotten a hold of John this week, and after talking to Paypal, we have the following options.  They cautioned me against refunding payment that already have an existing claim, so if you have one, go ahead and complete it. This protects me and you...  mostly me.  :-)  Since the payment was made to John and not me, this is the safest course.  If you have existing orders that have not had a paypal claim.  Please email the following

Name
Address
Phone

Order number and Description
Amount
and what you WANT... refund, prints fulfilled, etc...

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 09:08:13 am »
Thanks for checking into it, Firebat. My claim reaches a milestone of sorts in a couple of days, so I am probably close to resolution.  :cheers:

Another update:

Still have not gotten a hold of John this week, and after talking to Paypal, we have the following options.  They cautioned me against refunding payment that already have an existing claim, so if you have one, go ahead and complete it. This protects me and you...  mostly me.  :-)  Since the payment was made to John and not me, this is the safest course.  If you have existing orders that have not had a paypal claim.  Please email the following

Name
Address
Phone

Order number and Description
Amount
and what you WANT... refund, prints fulfilled, etc...

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 10:27:48 am »
Hmm. That is not good to hear. I think i have paypal set up to get funds from my bank account as needed. Maybe I am hosed, I hope not, but I really thought I was giving a guy down on his luck some needed business, so my conscience is clear. Going to be hard to explain to my wife how I spent $112 on nothing, though.

Good news is, my Game on Grafix order shipped.... that is exactly a week after I ordered, for anyone keeping score... can you guess who I wish I went with originally?  :dunno

Never, ever, ever resort to a Paypal claim.  Even if you "win", they'll tell you they can't collect because the seller's account is empty, you won't get a dime, and they'll let the seller keep doing business without penalty.

If you paid with a credit card (and you should have) call them NOW.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
Situation resolved.
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 07:02:39 pm »
Situation resolved. John called me right after giving me a refund, and was very apologetic about his health keeping him away from the business. Stand up guy, for sure. I am not going to offer any more critiques as I understand that small business ownership is challenging. I didn't get to talk to him about his future plans, but I am confident he will continue to be a great resource for the arcade community. Thanks again to Firebat and everyone else who gave advice on how to proceed.

:cheers:

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
Re: Situation resolved.
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 12:22:54 pm »
No problem guys...  Talked to John the other night and he is about to be up and running...  Now we can get back to business...  I almost finished the Rygar side art and working on a custom MK cabinet now... John will be here to fill in the rest shortly...

jrivelli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 05:49:28 pm
  • When you want success as bad as you want to breath
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 01:57:40 pm »
Really nice to see this was resolved and I can understand the buyer's frustration on this issue, but in the end, albeit a long time, glad to see it was resolved. I'm sure, and hopeful, in the next month or two John will be back printing some great artwork for all of us. For now, I used GameonGfx as well and while their prices are higher they will at least get here.

On a sidenote, it is cheaper for me to buy The Simpsons CPO overly from them that it is to have them print it for me if I submit the artwork lol.
Current games:
- Data East Star Wars Pinball
- High Speed Pinball
- Pool Sharks Pinball
- Big Guns Pinball
- Fire! Pinball
- Simpsons 4 Player Arcade
- Mortal Kombat I

clickhea

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 07:33:40 am
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 04:16:21 pm »
how bout me? i been waiting for what seems like forever. I just want a refund at this point as i went somewhere else for business.

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 04:31:54 pm »
See my email and post in the other thread...  We shall take care of everyone...

darkkniyt

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 06:06:54 pm »
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:46:10 am by John (darkkniyt) »