Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HELP - Collecting your monitor presets for GroovyMAME v0.151  (Read 3197 times)

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
HELP - Collecting your monitor presets for GroovyMAME v0.151
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:52:09 am »
Hi,

Over this weekend I'd like to update GroovyMAME to version v0.150. I know a few presets for specific models of monitors have been done during these months by BYOAC users. I'd like to collect them all so they're available for the new release as predefined presets. I'll be adding the ones I know of in this thread. If you want your custom preset to be added please post it before sunday.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:57:35 pm by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2018, 08:59:56 pm
Re: HELP - Collecting your monitor presets for GroovyMAME v0.150
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 06:21:19 pm »
I know the XM2960 ones would be of use to some.  The thing is, aside from finding the right ones for low-res, there's the deal with dealing with mid/high-res games and the fact there's quite a few other things shown in the owner's manual for some timings.

[Edit] Okay, so here we go for the two sets of ranges you gave me.  I think we can tweak the second one a little further somehow, if just to ensure proper pixel-double/doublescan modes for games that are between 25KHz-26.5KHz horizontal (like Super Sprint).

Code: [Select]
crt_range0=15750-16250,45-80,0.900,4.700,8.400,0.062,0.062,0.740,0,0,160,288,0,0
crt_range1=48363-50000,50-61,0.369,2.092,2.462,0.062,0.124,0.600,0,0,768,800,0,0

I can provide a third set of timings just for 30-32.5KHz horizontal if you need it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:28:53 pm by NightSprinter »
It doesn't matter how bad things are, it'll work out in the end.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 11:52:02 am »
Hi NightSprinter,

For some reason the NECs are cursed, even if they have a great potential no one comes up with a proper preset or they just give up in the middle of the process, there are a few threads around. If you think you can get a preset on time I'll add it.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

NightSprinter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2018, 08:59:56 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 07:50:17 pm »
I will.  Problem for me in linux is that aside from the issues compiling that one Kernel, I keep getting issues with Donkey Kong that causes it to crash at the resolution switchres creates. Will try to provide logs for the appropriate thread.
It doesn't matter how bad things are, it'll work out in the end.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:57:10 pm »
It's been 2 months since I posted this :)

Ok, so finally, this weekend I'm planning to release the new GM version. I need you guys to post your monitor presets before saturday 23 november, if you want them included.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:58:48 pm by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
Re: HELP - Collecting your monitor presets for GroovyMAME v0.151
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 10:19:32 pm »
Using the MS929 preset, should there be ANY movement (left or right) of the picture on screen?
Using an ArcadeVGA 3000..

I get maybe 1cm difference with some resolutions..

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 10:02:56 am »
It's been 2 months since I posted this :)

Ok, so finally, this weekend I'm planning to release the new GM version. I need you guys to post your monitor presets before saturday 23 november, if you want them included.

Thanks!

I'm probably being too negative here, but should unverified, user-generated presets really be embedded into the software? I can understand ones that are verified against manufacturer manuals/datasheets making it in, I'm not so sure it's a good thing to have those based solely on experimentation - there's no guarantee that whoever created it had theirs set up to a careful or sane default.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 04:46:47 pm »
I'm probably being too negative here, but should unverified, user-generated presets really be embedded into the software? I can understand ones that are verified against manufacturer manuals/datasheets making it in, I'm not so sure it's a good thing to have those based solely on experimentation - there's no guarantee that whoever created it had theirs set up to a careful or sane default.

Yeah I agree. The problem is, manufacturer manuals, leaving apart Nanao and a few others I've seen, are crap on this regard. Usually, we just allow the ranges that are well documented. The typical tri-sync monitor has no secrets, the only reason to create a custom preset is to ensure the three ranges are horizontally centered without the need of manual adjustments. And usually monitors from the same model and manufacturer have slightly different factory adjustments between ranges (h-shift), so presets may need to be customized for each single monitor anyway. Apart from that, the average user should probably stick with the generic presets (arcade_15, arcade_25, arcade_31, arcade_15_25, arcade_15_25_31). My interest is on complex multi-sync monitors like the XM2960, that according to specs works at 15.7/31 KHz to 65 KHz, this means it's a fixed sync arcade monitor (15.7) and a multi-sync PC CRT monitor (31-65) stick together. Even if you can calculate modes that are safe inside its specs, you can't be sure how they will fit in the screen unless you test it directly.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 04:48:55 pm by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 03:15:12 pm »
Gotcha. Is there any way of exporting a preset from Groovy so it can be tweaked for a specific monitor, or should we just take the presets thread as gospel?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 03:47:29 pm »
The presets thread is terribly outdated, it still uses the old monitor_specs format which is still in use by VMMaker, I keep like that as an auto-reminder that I need to update VMMaker. In order to get the presets in use, run GM with the -v param, the ranges are prompted by the beginning.
Steps to create a log:

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 05:49:12 am »
The presets thread is terribly outdated, it still uses the old monitor_specs format which is still in use by VMMaker, I keep like that as an auto-reminder that I need to update VMMaker. In order to get the presets in use, run GM with the -v param, the ranges are prompted by the beginning.
You know you could go in there and update them to the new format etc :)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 08:25:49 am »
You know you could go in there and update them to the new format etc :)

Done.
Steps to create a log: