Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HLSL for Vertical Games on Horizontal Monitor Instructions - Screenshots  (Read 22646 times)

lamprey

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2019, 07:03:11 pm
Re: HLSL for Vertical Games on Horizontal Monitor Instructions - Screenshots
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 09:14:16 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me ZeroPoint.

@ lamprey

1. I donīt think snap width/height is important here.
You are right, it just so happened I was off one row and I set one of the values to zero once and it didn't like it, so it was just coincidence that it worked when I set the snap size.
Maybe your GPU canīt handle the hlsl_prescale_x and y values at this :o resolution. They are set to 3 as default. Try to reduce them to 1 or 0 (auto) in vertical.ini and/or gamename.ini. And what about vertical refresh ???
I tried all the prescale values from 3 to 0. Because it's a cheapo monitor I can only do 30hz at that resolution. So, I set it to 2160x3840@30. I also tried at @29, @25 & @24 and no dice. I have a NVidia 700 series card (760) I think. So, it's fairly decent.

EDIT: I usually just run my resolution at AUTO and it works fine. But, with this mod, if I do that, then I get a different resolution (1280x768 or something, FYI).

I found this:

-       if (sscanf(data, "%dx%dx%d@%d", &config->width, &config->height, &config->depth, &config->refresh) < 2 && report_error)
+       if (sscanf(data, "%dx%dx%d@%lf", &config->width, &config->height, &config->depth, &config->refresh) < 2 && report_error)
                mame_printf_error("Illegal resolution value for %s = %s\n", name, data);
That is the error message. :)

2. With In-game Artwork the aspect ratio is important. You should change this in gamename.ini for that particular game and also edit the lay-file to change the "screen" position and size. What I do: Open the artwork in photoshop and change it to 1920 x 1080 or 3840 x 2160 in your case and just make it look good. Then I make a new lay-file with "bezel" at x=0, y=0, width=1920, height=1080 and "screen"-values as where I would like the screen to be in the artwork, usually with x,y, width and height values read out from photoshop. Then I set aspect ratio to 16:9 or auto. If I want to finetune the size and position of the "screen" I do this in slider controls. This affects only the "screen" part in the artwork.
I don't want to scale/distort my artwork. Maybe your mod is designed to do something different, but my goal is just to run with the aspect to auto. I'm not sure why it would scale things the way it does, but I can stretch the screen (1.4) to make it the correct aspect ratio.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:29:15 pm by lamprey »

lamprey

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2019, 07:03:11 pm
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2014, 12:41:33 am »
*sigh* I figured it out...

The issue I was having was with the FULL SCREEN OPTIONS - Triplebuffer and Switchres. I needed to disable (0) both those and the updates to Post.fx seem to be working.

Now I can leave PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS - Screen, Aspect and Resolution all on Auto and it works fine. The game "screen" is still to thin.skinny by default, but adding a screen_vert_stretch of 1.4 seems to solve that.

It also looks much better with the hlsl_prescale at 3+

Thanks again!!  :cheers:

Dru64

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2018, 09:26:19 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 12:13:27 pm »
Sorry to resurrect a very old thread (worse still, I registered just to resurrect a very old thread), but does anyone know how to get the vertical tilt effect in modern MAME (currently 0.189)? The HLSL "pincushion" variable appears to have disappeared long ago. I can get a reasonable tilt effect using BGFX & the "crt-geom" shader, but I much prefer HLSL for that authentic CRT look. Thanks in advance.

B2K24

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2017, 05:40:15 pm »
Guys check out my settings. I think they're pretty good :)

If using -video d3d hlsl_enable then use the raster.ini (chuck it in location MAME\ini\presets)

If using BGFX then use hlsl.json (MAME\bgfx\chains)

Enjoy!