Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TV auto power OFF problem  (Read 1873 times)

Zombie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2016, 07:14:59 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
    • zombie's homepage
TV auto power OFF problem
« on: August 31, 2003, 09:22:42 pm »
Hi!
i have an ArcadeVGA card connected to a 21" scart TV.
the problem is the TV turn turns off automaticly after some time.
its total random it happens.

its like the TV thinks, 'doesnt look like im being used and might as well turn off'.

it also did this when i was using the s-video tv-out.
is there a way to force the tv to stay powered on all the time?

its really annoying pressing power on remote often.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re:TV auto power OFF problem
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 11:47:00 pm »
Hi!
i have an ArcadeVGA card connected to a 21" scart TV.
the problem is the TV turn turns off automaticly after some time.
its total random it happens.

its like the TV thinks, 'doesnt look like im being used and might as well turn off'.

it also did this when i was using the s-video tv-out.
is there a way to force the tv to stay powered on all the time?

its really annoying pressing power on remote often.

Very strange.  Are you sure this is a "feature" or is the TV having problems?

If it's a feature, I would think there would be a way to disable it in one of the menus.  But there are a few things that are making me think that it's not a feature:

1: You say it does it at random times.  It wouldn't be random if it were a feature, rather a fixed time after the loss of signal.

2: You didn't say whether or not the video signal going to it is on or off when this shutdown occurs.  The TV has no other way of knowing if the set is "in-use" or not (it can't sense your eyeballs staring at it :) ).  If the signal is on when it shuts down, that's not a good sign.  

3: It did it with S-Video, so it's not a SCART wiring issue and probably not a video timing issue (S-Video would be PAL, while the SCART RGB could be whatever the ArcadeVGA card was set for)

4: Unless this is a new "green" TV that uses similar technology to that of computer monitors, then usually they show a blue screen at signal loss rather than shutting down.

Most TV's and Monitors have an Xray protection circuit in them.  If too much power is being put out by the guns, an internal component will sense this and shut the monitor down.  I don't know if this is what you are seeing, but something like this may be ocurring if it really isn't a feature of the TV.

Try lowering the brightness and contrast settings and see if it makes any difference.

RandyT

StephenH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2023, 06:15:45 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 01:35:13 am »
1) See if in the TV's menus, if there is an option for a "sleep timer", or anything of that sort.

2) If it happens randomly, I wonder if it could be a power supply issue with the TV, and the shutdown is safety related.    I would check to see if anything smells, or feels unusuallly hot, or if anything looks like it is burning or arcing inside (be careful, TVs do have high voltage inside).

3) See if this happens when set to TV mode (actual tuner).   If it does, it is most likely in the TV.   If not, it is happening only when in the monitor mode.

Zombie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2016, 07:14:59 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
    • zombie's homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 02:28:31 am »
its got some pretty advanced menu's, especially when entering the servicecode.

the 'protection circuit' thing sounded interesting and got me leaning more towards the problem is with the signal, and not the tv-set itself.

looked around and noticed i was still running 1.7v AGP via BIOS (as my previous grafficcard was unstable).
now changed it to default setting together with the CPU speed (non overclocked).
earlier today our dog was getting so exited when we were about to go for a walk, that she tripped over the scartcable, ARRRGH!!
had to resolder the wires again.

anyway, the tv has been running fine the last 10 hours, lots of different games.
looks very much like the problem has disapeared, a good sign for sure.

thanks for the help!!!