Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Digital Pinball Disasters  (Read 8094 times)

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
Re: Digital Pinball Disasters
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2011, 11:52:27 pm »
being completely disrespectful of the work and opinions of others

Theres a huge difference between disrespecting someones Artistic choices and PERSONAL works...
than the criticize and even disrespect public works that represent OTHER peoples works.

If Lucus wanted to make an updated version of StarWars for HIMSELF, then more power to him... and Id care less.  But when he forced it on everyone... it became completely different.

And when someone decides to remake a model of something like the "Mach 5" from Speed Racer, then a fan has the right to be upset when some lazy or poor modeler makes a poor representation of the car.

Your thread seemed like a direct attack against the people working on and praising Digital Pinball, so you shouldn't be too surprised when people get defensive.

HanoiBoi, it was a response to an attack by one of such peoples in another thread.  I revealed my opinion that digital pins simply cant give you the same experience as a real pin... and I got attacked.  So yes, this IS a return attack.  And rightly so, the work being done is highly flawed and needs both standardization, and better artistic direction & procedures.

I own 3 pins myself, 1 being a a digital pin.  Guess what gets played more?

A) Place a GOOD real pin next to the same Digital version of it, and ask which one is better.
B) Kids are not the best judge of pinball, as they rarely have the skills (and strength) needed to play pinball correctly. (intelligent bumping)

As said, virtual pinball is fun for a little romp... but its downright depressing to see how butchered the tables look... to the point where I simply would Never spend such money on making a decked out table for them.   If quality control goes up, then its a possibility.  Until then, they stink, and wont get any real attention from me.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 05:18:44 pm »
Forced on everyone ?
Good thing I didn't answer the door this morning.

NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 07:19:59 pm »

It did suck when my copies of the original versions winked out of existence on Lucas' whim.  I won't lie.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 12:03:51 am »
It did suck when my copies of the original versions winked out of existence on Lucas' whim.  I won't lie.

The original versions are low res, and low quality.  Hes stated that he will not re-release the originals in hi-def.   At one point in time, he claimed he Lost the original footage.  Ive not checked to see if that has changed.... but everyone knows its BS.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 07:23:48 am »

The point being that no consumers lost anything when he changed the movies.  We still had everything we had before.  The people who whine about it are whining that they can't have something they were never told they would get.  Nothing was lost.