Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rowe CD100D Background Music Kit Problem  (Read 3780 times)

peclark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2019, 10:08:56 pm
Rowe CD100D Background Music Kit Problem
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:29:03 pm »
Hi, first post here.  This forum has helped me a lot in the past!  I've had a Rowe CD100D for a couple of years now and I really enjoy it.   I recently got a background music kit for it off ebay.   This kit connects to pin 11 of connector 15 on the cpu, and to the volume control to enable the jukebox to have one volume for background music while there are no user selections playing, and normal jukebox volume when user selections are playing.

The problem I'm having with it is that no matter what I do, the two relays on the board always activate as soon as power is applied.   Even when I disconnect the wire from the CPU.  Doesn't matter if background music is playing or not.   I've checked the transistor (replaced it actually) and diode on the board, which are really the only components other than the relays.   They are both good.   From everything I've read, this kit should take a signal from the CPU and activate the relays when there are no user selections playing.   I can't figure what could be wrong with the board, or with the jukebox, or if I just have made some stupid mistake setting it up.  My cpu is at software 3.2.   I have an infrared remote and a wallbox hooked up as well.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, or has any ideas of what to try to diagnose this problem - it's kicking my butt.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Rowe CD100D Background Music Kit Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:32:53 am »
I have heard of this kit, but never actually seen one.

It's possible that it may either NOT be compatible with the infrared remote volume or it may need newer CCC software to work with it. I think the manual that comes with it should detail what system requirements are needed.

Any pictures of the kit?

peclark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:16:23 am »
Hi Ken, thanks for the reply.   I'll take some pictures and post them.  An installation manual came along with it.   I'll put a PDF of that along with the pictures.   

It's kind of a cool kit, it also allows you to have two sets of speakers that switch when the jukebox goes from autoplay to regular play.   I figured I'd do some fun stuff with this and my Sonos music system.   I am wondering the same thing you mentioned with compatibility with the IR unit, as if I remember correctly, the IR unit can control two volume levels as well, one for background music and one for user selected.  Perhaps the signal on pin 11 of connector 15 on the CCC is disabled when the IR unit is present/configured.   I'll do some playing around with that.   I just upgraded my CCC rom from 3.2 -> 4.1 last night, I'll see if that makes any difference.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 12:05:06 pm »
The updated jukebox eprom will definitely help as it adds more functionality in the software.

By the way, some jukebox operators use these aftermarket boards for what you are trying to do:

http://www.happcontrols.com/amusement/jukebox/95069800.htm

http://www.happcontrols.com/amusement/jukebox/95078400.htm

Alot cheaper than the Rowe kit too.

peclark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 04:40:38 pm »
Ok, here's some pictures of the jukebox and the background music kit.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 04:43:45 pm by peclark »

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:23:28 am »
Hello Pete,

I have one of these kits, old stock never used but I do not have the manual/instructions.
If you wish to send me a pdf of instructions and how you have wired it into your system I will try and work out where you are going wrong.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
alan-hood@datex.co.uk

peclark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 08:46:42 pm »
Hi Alan,

Here's a PDF of the manual. 

http://www.petesgameroom.net/rowe-cd-100d/

I'm using Stereo Option C - as I have an IR remote control unit in the jukebox.   The IR remote instructions have a small section that talks about the background music kit.   All it says really is to not connect one of the volume control wires from the IR kit...

The weird thing about this kit as I've done more testing on it on the bench, is that it doesn't seem to matter whether the signal wire is connected or not, if I apply voltage to the kit from a bench supply, the relays lock on.   I'm starting to think that there may be a short on the board somewhere I'm not seeing.   maybe a solder trace touching another or something like that.   I'm going to go through it tonight with a magnifying glass to see if I can see anything.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:42:16 pm by peclark »

peclark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 10:42:45 pm »
I did a little more testing and figured out the problem.   The root problem was that there is supposed to be a 100K resistor soldered between pins 3 and 4 at the connector of the board.   After I started looking for the short, I noticed that something wasn't right with the schematic compared to the board, and it turns out that at the factory, this resistor was installed incorrectly.   If you look at the picture I took you can see it was installed across pins 1 and 3, which was causing the transistor to short, and therefore the relays would always engage when power was supplied.

I replaced the transistor, removed and soldered the resistor to the right pins, and voilą the board is working perfectly!   Who would have thought that the resistor was installed incorrectly.   It's really tough to pick up in as the pins on the connector aren't numbered and you just sorta assume the thing was assembled correctly, so your brain sorta compensates, telling you that can't be wrong...

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 11:02:36 pm »
Something not wired correctly from the factory? Say it ain't so!

Glad you got it sorted out. :)

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 06:12:15 am »
Hi Pete,

Thank you for the pdf.
Yes the resistor is wired across pins 1 & 3 (and that is on a new board) on P1 instead of pins 3 & 4 as per the drawing.
Why is it that the information you need always on the last page!

I am glad that you  have sorted the issue all you have now to do is set it up.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK