Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help a rookie fix his paint job  (Read 1594 times)

zerojosh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2011, 12:39:38 am
Help a rookie fix his paint job
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:04:55 pm »
Hey guys,

I recently was given an entirely dilapidated Ms. Pacman machine.  Due to its extremely poor condition, and this being my first attempt, I've been cutting some pretty big corners in its restoration/re-purposing but the paint job has turned out awful and I was wondering if you had any tips.  Before spraying black, I sanded down the cab, between my sanding job being  :censored: and using cheapspray glossy black, the paint is all kinds of uneven and reflecting at different angles.  Would using some kind of matte or other product benefit?

Thanks guys!

Eddie_Brock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2014, 12:00:34 pm
Re: Help a rookie fix his paint job
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:03:13 pm »
When it comes to spray painting, you need to be patient.
I sprayed mine (glossy) black, and it looks great. That being said, it was the longest part of my construction.
Make sure you completely sanded down your cab to a point that you're happy with. You want to do several coats of lightly-applied paint, not 2 heavy coats. Make sure you sand down between coats, preferrably 1000 or 2000 grit sandpaper to make the job smooth.

There are lots of tutorials out there, both on this site and online on painting with spray. Read up, and like I said, patience is the most important aspect.

Good luck!

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:46:42 pm »
+1 what eddie said.

Check out OND's thread on the Retro-Future Arcade to see what's involved with a good paint job (ok, his is way beyond even good, but you get the idea  :) )

It just takes a while.

You might want to check out that spray body filler stuff. It's like a super thick primer that you spray on.

Spray a coat of that, sand like hell, then spray it again, sand and maybe again.

That should get the surface down smooth enough where a gloss finish can look good.

You could also laminate, but that can get $$$

zerojosh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2011, 12:39:38 am
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:53:32 pm »
Woah - I had no idea that sanding was part of the painting process, I would have assumed that'd take the paint back off.  Thanks guys!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:09:56 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:57:13 pm »
The key is to really take your time. Paint, sand, paint, sand. If you want it to look good, you just need to take the time. It's tough, I know, because you want to just get it done, but you really won't regret it when all is said and done.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:19:23 pm »
Yep, it will take +some+ of the paint off, but what you're really doing is filling in the minute grain pores and other imperfections in the wood.

You paint, the sand down a little, then paint again, which fills in more pores, and sand again, repeat, repeat.

That spray on primer filler helps because it's so thick, you shouldn't have to put on near as many coats before you get a flawless finish that you can really paint.