Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First Project of 2011: Star Castle  (Read 4067 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
First Project of 2011: Star Castle
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:39:35 am »
I picked up a working Star Castle on trade a couple days ago.  Overall it's in decent shape.  It works (a plus!)... and works well.  The tube had recently been swapped and is nice and bright.  The control panel is in nice shape and won't need to be replaced.  The marquee is in good shape aside from bracket wear and should backlight fine (of course the marquee lamp isn't functioning,  but that's an easy fix).   The bezel was pretty scratched up... but I was VERY pleased to find that most scratches were superficial and with about 10 minutes of Novus buffing...it looks good... I'd venture to say 8.5/10 good... which is a relief as this bezel isn't available as repro.  The front of the cab looks good... coin door is in good shape and even the coin door sticker remains...and is in decent shape.

Now on to the bad... the worst of the bad is that some dumb bastard (or multiple dumb ---daisies---) apparently kicked out the bottom front corners of the cab.  It's been strategically cut (and painted) to appear as if it's supposed to be that way... but it's not.  I am going to have to cut out both front corners,  and add wood... which means I finally get to buy a slot cutter for the T-Molding.  The right side of the cab (looking at it) is in about 8/10 condition overall... once it's cleaned up.. but the other side is pretty beat down with trashed side-art and plenty of paint scratches, etc...

She's most definitely worth restoring back to her former glory!

Here she is:

I also picked up 2 additional monitors in the trade.  One is complete and working... but with a dim Amprex tube.  The other chassis is missing parts (transistors & a couple socketed chips)... also with a tested dim Aprex tube.

I traded my System 1 Indiana Jones and Road Blaster kits... I've determined that "kits" just don't work with me.  The "kits" that aren't being used just sit... to never ever be used.  I kept Marble Madness in the cab (of course).
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
Re: First Project of 2011: Star Castle
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:12:04 pm »
I am going to have to cut out both front corners,  and add wood... which means I finally get to buy a slot cutter for the T-Molding. 

A slot cutter is definitely the way to go, but that area is not that big.  You could hand cut it with a dremel if you needed to.  I've done that on corners that I had used bondo on. 

Cool pickup.  I got mine yesterday but it isn't working (yet  ;D)
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

saleem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 07:07:19 pm »
you will never get the cab back to its former glory,thats 100% sure for now and the foreseeable future.simply because you wont be able to buy the side art,without whole/intact side art it wont ever be in the good old state it was in years ago.

but,you got one over me as mine aint working,its playing blind,some twit hacked the gibbins up with a stellar castle video/sound board and a stellar castle hantarex mtvr vector monitor,so now i only got the oriiginal boardset and everything else is all hacked.
 :-[

btw its super bad ass game!
 ;)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:25:03 pm »
you will never get the cab back to its former glory,thats 100% sure for now and the foreseeable future.simply because you wont be able to buy the side art,without whole/intact side art it wont ever be in the good old state it was in years ago.

The side art is being worked on and should be available in a month or two.

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:12:40 pm »

I'm 100% sure that was funny  :laugh2:
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 04:22:36 pm »

I'm 100% sure that was funny  :laugh2:

Umm...I don't get it.  Why is this funny?  

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 06:45:17 pm »
It's my weird sense of humor. Saleem states a 100% fact backed up by, I'm not sure what, and you destroy it with a simple sentence. Struck me funny.  8)
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 07:09:50 pm »
It's my weird sense of humor. Saleem states a 100% fact backed up by, I'm not sure what, and you destroy it with a simple sentence. Struck me funny.  8)

Got it.  For some reason I thought it was your comment earlier about the side art never being available.  Now it makes more sense.   :)

saleem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 10:01:15 am »
i never said you wouldnt get it 100% fact,if the person had read what i actualy posted they wouldnt be actualy taking what i posted out of context.i said you wouldnt get it 100% sure for now or in the foreseeable future,its still might not be available in couple of months time.when the art is available is when the art is available,as of now there is noone that has the art for sale,so for now and for the foreseeable future (depending on how long that actualy happens to be) you wont get it that i can tell you is 100% certain.

for me to actualy state you wont get it 100% certain of that in my first post,then the poster would be correct but,to take what i posted out of the context it was actualy in is incorrect and i dont see what is funny realy.
 ???

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 01:14:42 pm »
...well... it's better than nothing...

(Sharpe FTW)

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 03:16:07 pm »
Nice sharpie action!