Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Planning Before the Build  (Read 3409 times)

Woodshop Flunky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
Planning Before the Build
« on: February 04, 2011, 02:37:20 pm »
I'm in the planning phase right now for a MAME cabinet I want to make for my Son's birthday this summer.

As of now, it is going to be a vertical mini MAME cabinet (3/4 scale).  It will end up being about 4ft tall and I'm going to shape it like a Galaga machine.  I'm not going to use Galaga art, but I really like the lines on those old machines, so that's the style I'm using.  Also, I want this machine to also be capable of actual computer work as a secondary system for email, web browsing, and light office type work.

As I research what to include, I've been making an item/price list so that I don't paint myself into a financial corner down the road. 

If you guys could take a look at this list and tell me if I'm missing something, I'd appreciate your input.

Also, if you have any suggestions for item brands you would recommend or recommend avoiding, that would be great too.

Thanks!

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
Re: Planning Before the Build
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 02:54:42 pm »
There will be loads of little things in the build that with turn up that you didn't expect. The only obvious big thing that I see is missing is plexi/lexan/glass/whatever over the screen.

Also, have you considered using Linux and saving 100 bucks? Ubuntu Linux is free, downloadable from Ubuntu.com, installs as easy as Windows, MAME is installed just by choosing it in a list and clicking install and Wah!Cade is a great free front end. You don't need to know anything about Linux to use Linux these days and the money you save could go on the artwork.

Just a thought.
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 02:59:22 pm »
I'd say, look for a donor computer and monitor on craigslist and go with TinyXP. It's a "free" download. I would take the saved money from the computer, monitor, OS, and wifi adapters and purchase an inexpensive laptop. The idea of someone using my mame cab to visit sites just freaks me out. I hate the idea of my arcade machine having malware.

What is "Artist" for $60? You plan on paying someone for some custom art? I'm sure you can get some assistance here as long as your demands aren't too over the top.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:10:09 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 03:08:39 pm »
GroovyGameGear has the slot cutting router bit for a lot less than what you have budgeted.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

VanillaGorilla

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2019, 10:23:51 pm
  • Coin detected in pocket
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:33:37 pm »
GGG also has the TurboTwist spinner for less than you budgeted as well...

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 03:44:12 pm »
The only obvious big thing that I see is missing is plexi/lexan/glass/whatever over the screen.

Yep!  Totally forgot the plexi! :)

The idea of someone using my mame cab to visit sites just freaks me out. I hate the idea of my arcade machine having malware.

The idea of internet browsing sounded okay until I read your post.  :-\  I may have to revisit the idea of making this an isolated machine.  If I end up doing that, I already have an older laptop that I could use as a donor machine.

What is "Artist" for $60?

I was looking at Game On Grafix for some reproduction art.  However, I have some minor changes I’ll want done due to my cabinet design, and I think the site listed a rate of $20/half hour.  I think I overestimated at $60.

GroovyGameGear has the slot cutting router bit for a lot less than what you have budgeted.

Thanks, I hadn’t even heard of this site yet.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 03:47:59 pm »
If I do end up building the computer, what power supply would you guys recommend?  I'm kind of clueless as to what I might need for this type of build.

Thanks again!

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 01:20:35 pm
  • Head Brewer and Arcade Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 03:56:54 pm »
you can save some cash and paint that sucker.  :-)  Also, if havent got anyone to help ya with the art, look me up in the artwork thread... 
Click below to see my Metal Gear/Splinter Cell Machine... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108360.0

Click below to see my PinCab - PinWARS
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164660.0.html

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 04:14:45 pm »
you can save some cash and paint that sucker.  :-)  Also, if haven't got anyone to help ya with the art, look me up in the artwork thread... 

I like paint, and I like saving the 90 bucks.  I was leaning towards Formica just cause I love the way it looks on some of the cabs here.  Thanks for the artwork nod.

Here is a VERY preliminary Sketchup of what I had in mind.  The bezel artwork will need to be adjusted a little for my cab/monitor.  Also, the CP will be all mine, but I'll use the original elements.  Little things like making the gold star larger on the side art and putting a large gold star on the CP front shouldn't be too difficult.

BTW... Thanks for the, "You can get it cheaper here..." comments.  I'll likely take this first stab and start figuring where I can shave off.

Donkbaca

• Our reptillian overlords would be pleased
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2012, 06:28:10 pm
    • Slim built MAME/Xbox cab
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 05:03:20 pm »
My thoughts, because I like telling people what I think :)

Computer:
Yowser!  You have 473 bucks budgeted for your PC.  And it doesn't include a case.

Don't build one, for what you want to use this for - 80's classics and light web browsing - a beat up old P4 will do the trick.  you can get one of those with XP for under 100 bucks.

I suggest you go XP for your build.  It seems most BYOAC stuff is built with XP in mind, I am pretty sure its the most popular OS around here.  You can probably get a CRT for free or cheaper if you look.  Try a thrift store or craig's list.  Nobody wants a 17 inch CRT.  Your wifi stuff is also more expensive then yo ulist it.  For the type of machine you are building I would put my budget at 250, max, and you can probably get one that will suit your needs for around 100 bucks.,

Also, lets think logistics, the whole cab is going to be 4 feet tall, that means the screen is going to be about 3 - 3 1/2 feet off the ground maybe?  That won't be comfortable at all for an adult to use.  I know the CP on my cabinet is like 34 inches off the ground, the CP is going to be what, like 25 inches?  I would ditch the whole "second workstation" idea, unless your kid is going to be doing work on it.

Controls:
No need to get a mag stik, I have never used them, but from reading on the forums, it seems that they feel really different.  I would just get a happs super or competition.  A kid is going to use it, you want something tough and rugged, and those things are solid and around 10 bucks.  If you want it for the switchable  4- 8 way, well, do you think it matters that much to the kid?  Another option is a U-360, since it has built in support for 8 buttons, and you wouldn't have to buy an ipac, and you can map it 4 or 8 way.

Boom, I just saved you like 300 bucks buddy! 

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 05:27:12 pm »
When I'm at work, we often do collaborative development... this is why.

You guys have had some really good comments.  I have an old P4 laptop running XP that I use to play MAME on years ago.  I like the idea of shaving $400+ right off the top of the budget.  I have my own laptop, and my wife uses the desktop, so I'm starting to think my son can get his homework done just fine without building a new computer.

No need to get a mag stik, I have never used them, but from reading on the forums, it seems that they feel really different.  I would just get a happs super or competition.  A kid is going to use it, you want something tough and rugged, and those things are solid and around 10 bucks.  If you want it for the switchable 4- 8 way, well, do you think it matters that much to the kid?  Another option is a U-360, since it has built in support for 8 buttons, and you wouldn't have to buy an ipac, and you can map it 4 or 8 way.
This is really useful.  Thanks!

Boom, I just saved you like 300 bucks buddy! 
You may have saved me more than that!  Look for your commission in the mail.  :)

dfmaverick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2016, 11:17:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 05:27:53 pm »
I would agree about ditching the 2nd workstation idea unless you make the cab full size.

I made a 4 foot cabinet for my nephews years ago. It's fine to play sitting on a stool/bench, but couldn't imagine trying to do anything else on it.

I cut many corners since it was a gift.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=44246.0

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 06:06:38 pm »
Again… really good comments everyone.  Here are some changes I made based on everyone’s comments.  The geek in me “wants” to build a computer, but the husband/father in me likes the savings I see from using my old P4 laptop.  It isn't easy to ignore $400! ;D

I still haven’t added the plexi… I’ll have to get that priced.  Or, does anyone know off the top of their head what 18” square plexi for the bezel, and whatever amount I need for the CP should set me back.  Is there a particular material that would be best for this?

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 06:22:20 pm »
OOOH!  I just had a cool idea!

Set up the laptop with two users.  The kid can have his own login and stuff for his homework, and then you give yourself an admin password that has access to a frontend or Mame or whatever you want.  Build your cab, where the keyboard drawer is put a laptop dock. You see where I am going with this?

The kid does his homework, you dock the laptop and he gets to play games! 

OR, you buy a cam lock and put it on the keyboard drawer and have the monitor, and a usb hub hooked up to the dock, have all the roms on an external hard drive connected to the dock.  That way the kid could get into MAME, but have no roms to play with....

I would do this with my kid, methinks....

dfmaverick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2016, 11:17:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 06:24:03 pm »
Don't recall how muchh the plexi was. Don't think it was more than $20 for the square I used, but could be wrong. If you look at mine, I only used the plexi in front of the monitor.

For the CP, I had Kinko's print off my CP on some sort of poly then had them laminate it. Affixed it to the CP with 3M spray adhesive. It's a cheap option if your CP art won't have copyright images that are easy to get past the prudes at Kinko's.

Just sayin' what I did. It just gives you more options depending on your preferences for detail/quality//expense/etc.

Mr.Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2013, 09:28:37 pm
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 06:28:44 pm »
For covering i used a Gloss Black Self Adhesive Vinyl from this place on ebay

http://stores.ebay.com.au/vinyldepotretail

He is based in the UK and i got reasonable and quick shipping to Australia (Even over xmas)

They carry a wide range of colours and woodgrains for all your needs

As for the PC i would try and just pick up a cheap/free second hand unit, then add to it if you need to

Good luck, i will be following this one

Nephasth

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 07:04:20 pm »
You might be able to save some money, and definitely a ton of time if you can find a cabaret for a good price. Especially if it has a working monitor in it.

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 08:10:33 am »

No need to get a mag stik, I have never used them, but from reading on the forums, it seems that they feel really different.  I would just get a happs super or competition.  A kid is going to use it, you want something tough and rugged, and those things are solid and around 10 bucks.  If you want it for the switchable 4- 8 way, well, do you think it matters that much to the kid?  Another option is a U-360, since it has built in support for 8 buttons, and you wouldn't have to buy an ipac, and you can map it 4 or 8 way.

I love my Magstik Plus joysticks.

Of all the things to drop for the sake of saving money, these sticks wouldn't be on my list. They are really great. So much better than my old Happ stick by 10,000%

" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Donkbaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 09:31:28 am »
Just saying if you look at the forum posts, it has a lot of mixed reviews. Personally I dint see why you would spen that much on a joystick going into a kids cab when a $10 halos stick will do, it got the u360 route and save on the encoder.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 11:14:44 am »

I love my Magstik Plus joysticks.

Of all the things to drop for the sake of saving money, these sticks wouldn't be on my list. They are really great. So much better than my old Happ stick by 10,000%

Put me in the hate group with the magstik plus. Too short of a throw, your average user doesn't know which games should be 4 way or 8 way, and switching isn't easy enough for people to do. When I had them, people noticed they didn't "feel" right but they couldn't articulate why. It was due to the extremely short throw. In the US, no joystick I ever used felt like a magstik plus so it ends up being an unauthentic feeling. Trying to explain when to switch to/from 4 way and then showing them how to do it resulted in people deciding to not even play on more than 1 occasion. I ended up selling my magstik plus sticks. I now have a couple arcade cabinets with dedicated controls.

Of course your experiences may vary, but if I had to spend some money on a joystick it would be for the U360 or go with a dedicated 4 way.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 02:00:04 pm »
The 17 inch CRT should be available for free to about $10.   Most people around here will give them away is someone will pick it up.