Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Should I dump my Nanao for a pc monitor?  (Read 1174 times)

Nunezertron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2010, 07:20:40 pm
Should I dump my Nanao for a pc monitor?
« on: November 28, 2010, 06:31:51 pm »
I bought an old Virtua Fighter machine with the intention of stripping out the insides and installing a pc to run mame. Wanted to keep the original monitor (Nanao dual resolution MS8-26SU) but it's been a bit of a sticking point and I'm thinking it might have to go. Firstly, from what I have read on here I think I understand that I'm going to need an ArcadeVGA card to get the games to display correctly on the monitor, but I have also read that ArcadeVGA can't be installed on a Dell Dimension 3000 which is what I was planning on using.
Rather than buy another pc and VGA I'm thinking that it would be not only cheaper to buy a big pc monitor and use that, but also a lot easier which appeals as this is my first such project.
So what I'm asking is whether I have understood correctly about ArcadeVGA and Dell, and if so if anyone has any alternative ideas that would allow me to stick with the original monitor.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Re: Should I dump my Nanao for a pc monitor?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:55:33 pm »
Soft15khz will work with almost any videocard. Check the thread on it.

dosmame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2012, 09:50:13 am
    • DOS MAME
Re: Should I dump my Nanao for a pc monitor?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:09:32 am »
my advice (having done this in the past) is go through the pain barrier with the arcade monitor....unless you really really haven't got the time and don't mind the games looking like they are displayed on a PC

unfortunately your dell has no pci-e slots, arcadevga 3000 is pci-e