Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Yie Ar Kung-Fu has THREE buttons, not TWO!?!  (Read 32542 times)

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
Re: Yie Ar Kung-Fu has THREE buttons, not TWO!?!
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2010, 04:30:13 pm »
I wouldn't take anything from anyone on BYOAC unless it was sealed and I opened it myself and kept it in my hands at all times.

:-\

Just saying.

Yea, yea. You'd probably have 2 shots and be running around in your underwear with a lamp shade on your head.

abaraba

• ---Perm Ban---
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2011, 08:42:58 am
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2010, 07:53:19 pm »
I figure Oretachi Multi-Game CD I have is illegal compilation. Originally each game was released individually and I checked few cover scans, it does say "Licensed by Konami". Would not that be the 1st time these companies license games, don't they always release their own "arcade hits"? Perhaps the games are licensed, but what in the world are MAME control panels doing there? Why is there option to change orientation from horizontal to vertical and fiddle with dip switches in a PS2 game?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:03:16 pm by abaraba »
---Perm Ban, again---

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2010, 08:58:09 am »
As for the Brake example Malenko, its funny cause you dont understand the end results... and you didnt really prove me wrong.   The brake will start to engage before the end of travel, and will close to a certain level of pressure.  The further the pedal is pressed... the more pressure will be applied.  If a child ran in front of you, you cant just apply light brake force.  It has to be the FULL pressure to stop them IMMEDIATELY.  This means hitting the Floor.  

I prefer sticks for Smash TV but dual analogs for robotron.
That does not even make sense.

I don't understand the end results?  I used to work for Chrysler in the factory, installing brake systems among other things for almost a decade; so yeah , I understand how brakes work. Yes the brakes will engage before the end of the travel, just like the analog stick with start moving the character before the end of the travel. Its not digital, it doesn't have to go all the way to the end to start working. If a child ran out in front of me I could stop without slamming my brakes because odds are I'd be in a neighborhood and not driving fast, if I was on the highway they deserve to be hit.

My preference doesn't have to make sense for you. I am better at smash TV on my MAME cab then my xbox360, I am better at robotron on my 360 then on my MAME cab. So that's my preference. You not understanding it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

Also, please tell me how a digital stick is more precise then an analog one. Last time I got in an airplane and looked in the cockpit they weren't flying the thing with WICOs. Also, citation is needed for your replies. I'd prefer facts over opinions. Again, you never cited where you got the fact of them testing arcade machines for months on location and changing out controls. I'm deeply interested on which games did then and the details of them. (this part actually INS'T sarcasm)

I have attached a HORRIBLE mock up of how analog works.

Ray: Kegs and shot? as in shots of beer? garner can bring the jager I'll bring the redbull! (or soco and lime)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:25:53 am by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

garnerb350

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2019, 09:36:49 pm
  • Crowded elevators smell different to midgets...
    • Hyperspin
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2010, 10:18:26 am »
Ray: Kegs and shot? as in shots of beer? garner can bring the jager I'll bring the redbull! (or soco and lime)

:woot
“If first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you..." ~ Jack Handy

abaraba

• ---Perm Ban---
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2010, 01:19:39 am »
Ok, finally... I got the answer at KLOV forum.

--- QUOTE:
To test, I just wired it up on my test bench. The Konami-to-JAMMA adaptor I made has the third button already hooked up (for Super Basketball), so I could just pop it in my JAMMA cab and play. If you want to try it out in your Yie Ar Kung-Fu cab, you could just run a jumper wire from pin N to pin E (1P Start) on the harness and have the Start button double as the third button. Probably not a good layout for playing, but at least you could try it out. Here's the pinout:
Code: [Select]
 NC                  | A | 1 |   +12V
 Speaker             | B | 2 |   Speaker
 2P Button 2 (Punch) | C | 3 |   2P Button 1 (Kick)
 2P Left             | D | 4 |   2P Right
 1P Start            | E | 5 |   2P Start
 1P Button 1 (Kick)  | F | 6 |   2P Up
 1P Button 2 (Punch) | H | 7 |   Service
 1P Right            | J | 8 |   1P Left
 1P Up               | K | 9 |   2P Down
 Coin 1              | L | 10|   Coin 2
 1P Down             | M | 11|   Coin Counter 1
 1P Button 3 (Boost?)| N | 12|   Coin Counter 2
 Video Green         | P | 13|   Video Blue
 Video Red           | R | 14|   Video Sync
 NC                  | S | 15|   2P Button 3 (Boost?)
 GND                 | T | 16|   GND
 GND                 | U | 17|   GND
 +5V                 | V | 18|   +5V
--- END QUOTE.
---Perm Ban, again---

Siris

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2023, 09:13:08 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2010, 01:54:43 am »
Ummm, Yeah that is exactly what I told you after looking at the schematics days ago!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:56:47 am by Siris »

abaraba

• ---Perm Ban---
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2010, 04:32:56 am »
Ummm, Yeah that is exactly what I told you after looking at the schematics days ago!

I know, that's what makes it worse, you actually believed it was there and still you supported they undocumented it in MAME. What's your point anyway, are you asserting your words should be taken as some "proof" or "evidence"? How do you not see all my reasoning, as I explained several times and underlined with insults, was based exactly on that one assumption? Read the thread, before you said it we already established there are unused pins that could serve for it. 

Anyway, you still have the same opinion? Documenting 'operators manual' (PDF), in software emulator has not only more importance over documenting the PCB, but it also is the reason to undocument functionality of the PCB edge connector?

--- Blah, blah, blah...
I had no idea any arcade enthusiast can dislike this game. I would maybe too, for example, rate Donkey Kong higher than Yie Ar, and many more games would get in front of it on my "top-list", but it just happens to be the game I can always have a go at, while I do not play many of my "favorites" at all. I'd just be bored with Donkey Kong, I could play it long time and that now has opposite effect, when before it was the reason to play the game.

Yie Ar has complexity, you can make up different tactics and chose between many moves. It's quite challenging and only once you master it enough to at least fight with all the opponents in the game, only then you can appreciate its gameplay, plus nice variety of opponents and styles.
---Perm Ban, again---

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2010, 08:34:03 am »
Ok, so I just downloaded mame version 103 to see what the jump button really was... and if it was needed

1) It is VERY buggy... jump doesn't always jump... at all... (mame bug?)
2) It DOES seem to jump different directions then the normal jump

Not worth keeping another version of mame around, even with a webmame that allows for transparent extra emulators.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2010, 11:23:56 am »
Tafold responded in the KLOV thread... it's been added to the next version of MAME.  Congrats OP... boo to all the detractors... how's it feel to be wrong?

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2010, 11:25:23 am »
Ok, finally... I got the answer at KLOV forum.

I saw that ... interesting and I, for one, retract my objection, although I would support the 3rd button not being mapped by default.

:afro:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

abaraba

• ---Perm Ban---
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2010, 08:46:51 pm »
1) It is VERY buggy... jump doesn't always jump... at all... (mame bug?)

Are you familiar with the game enough to say that?
Perhaps keyboard trouble due to "ghosting/blocking"?

Try holding the 3rd button and then input any of the 8 possible directions, that should work every time, but have in mind the jump is relative to which side you are facing and where the opponent is, also some of those jumps look like standard jump, and 3rd button+DOWN can change the direction you are facing, or something... so many mysteries, like with the real Kung-Fu, can you master the style and rule to game?

For example, I just learned yesterday there is "dodge" (BACK+UP), and I can see some animation that looks like "block", but while I know you can block stars, fans and chain by hitting them in the right moment, I do not know if it is possible to block kicks and punches, hmmm?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:55:33 pm by abaraba »
---Perm Ban, again---