Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Getting back into arcade games & and looking to build a new cab  (Read 1252 times)

muell67

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 02:12:01 pm
I have been out of the arcade scene for a few years and I just recently sold my last cab a neo 29 and now Im regretting it and wanting to build myself a new cabinet. I just have a few questions

1.I have a Happ usb/ps2 trackball that I used to have in my old mame cabinet. Is there anyway to hack a xbox 360 controller to use this just for joystiq inputs for moving around the menus? Im thinking no but I thought I would ask I just know how to do the basic hack nothing with the analog stick.

2. Does anyone have any plans or dimensions for this type of cabinet (see attached) I would like to do something similar to this with less angle on the control panel and just do a simple 2 player layout with a ball in the center. I will be using a 32" lcd and xbox 360, dreamcast & mame.

3. Is the cabinet in the picture a standup (Im pretty sure it is) Im looking for a short stand up kind of like the old cabaret cabinets but with a lcd.

Thanks.

I don't know if you know this but I'm sort of a big deal. I own many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

LeedsFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
Re: Getting back into arcade games & and looking to build a new cab
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 04:57:09 am »
Looks like that cabinet would be dead easy to copy anyway. The angles at the front just look to be 45 degrees up to the point where the CP meets the screen. Looks like a very awkward shaped cab though. Seems like the top part of the cab (behind the screen/marquee) sticks out further back than the bottom.  :dizzy:

Harakiri

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2014, 05:02:37 am
  • Invisible member status
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 06:54:33 am »
Hello!

1- It is possible to hack a Xbox360 controller for interface usage with your joystick and buttons, i'm not sure about wiring the trackball to it though.

2 - I believe not but you can always find a owner willing to take measures for your build. Have you seen the Vewlix type cabinet yet? It's far more pleasing to the eye and you could ask Gatsu for help with it.

Visit: http://gatsvewlix.wordpress.com/

3 - Yes!

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:18:38 am »
Looks like that cabinet would be dead easy to copy anyway. The angles at the front just look to be 45 degrees up to the point where the CP meets the screen. Looks like a very awkward shaped cab though. Seems like the top part of the cab (behind the screen/marquee) sticks out further back than the bottom.  :dizzy:

The back is even with the bottom, just the center section is cut away. I think the angle of the picture is deceptive. Those are awesome little cabinets with big monitors. The issue for anything but Golden Tee/Silver Strike is the control panel angle.

muell67

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 02:12:01 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 08:59:56 am »
I was thinking of doing a vewlix. Actually first I was going to buy a real vewlix then decided against spending that much money. Then I was going to build one but I dont like the Idea of a wood copy plus my last cabinets have all been sitdown Im wanting a standup.

I have seen a version of this cabinet with a different angle on the control panel and a couple joysticks installed I just cant seem to find it now.

I did a quick rendering of a cabinet kind of inspired by the cabinet in the picture its in the project section. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=106616.0
I think Im going to cut a couple carboard sides on the cnc and see if I like the shape.

I don't know if you know this but I'm sort of a big deal. I own many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.