Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Glass or no Glass REDUX  (Read 1863 times)

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
Glass or no Glass REDUX
« on: October 09, 2010, 05:49:28 pm »
Is it just me or does anyone else think that playing pinball without the glass is easier than with it?  I mean whenever I work on a game and have to play/test drive it,  it is obviously without the glass,  and I can honestly say that my ball times are longer.

You do have to overcome the increased solenoid noise.  It always irritates the casual obserever.

On a side note about playfield glass being on or off...  whenever we take pictures of our games, glass is always off please.  Thank You.

What say Ye?

Smeghead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2015, 11:41:08 pm
  • Better Smeg than dead
    • MY MAME BUILDS
Re: Glass or no Glass REDUX
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 08:20:41 pm »
I think you need glasses    ;D
My MAME Build:

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 08:33:08 pm »
You are correct. Spectacles aside.... if you try to play seriously sans window pane you might be surprised.

Smeghead

• Offline Offline
  • Better Smeg than dead
    • MY MAME BUILDS
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 10:40:56 pm »
oh, nm   :banghead:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 12:51:08 pm by Smeghead »
My MAME Build:

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:16:00 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 12:01:24 am »
Not sure what the point of this thread is.

The reason is simple.  You can see better without any reflections & distortions of the playfield.   You also might get a more pronounced subconscious awareness of the balls positioning from the much louder sound of it rolling across the field.

That said, I would never be able to play a full game without the glass.  The coils are way too loud for my ears to take.

It would also accelerate dust and dirt getting in there... as well as possible accidental spills or object drops.

Ive often wondered if a thin polarized film sheet over the glass might be a good solution. (cheaper than the custom made $300 coated glass thats being sold)

I can tell you this much... my Glasses have an Anti-Glare coating on them, and they are a godsend.  The amount of clarity gained is just amazing.  There are times when Ive thought my glasses were not even on... because they are that translucent.  (which would never happen with my older non-coated glasses)

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 08:47:42 am »
Like I said...

You do have to overcome the increased solenoid noise and that noise always irritates the casual obserever.

I agree (say it aint so!) with pinballjim that playing without the glass is cheating.

Smeghead

• Offline Offline
  • Better Smeg than dead
    • MY MAME BUILDS
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 11:09:21 am »
I once heard of a person moving the flippers closer together in virtual pinball to make it easier!

hahahha

hahaha

ahaha

hohoh

ok, it was me    :P
My MAME Build:

Jeff AMN

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 12:12:52 pm »
I seem to always have my longest games with the glass off when I'm testing everything just one more time before putting the glass back on. I don't know why it is, but I think it's the pinball machine covertly attacking my senses for giving it a bit of a probing.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

Pinball Wizard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 04:48:45 pm »
I've always like playing with the glass on just because it give me a more sense of accomplishment when you're done and you get the first place high score on it. For my physiologically I need that glass on to get "into it" otherwise I just can't get going the same.
Where's my gold star :P