Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: keywiz 5v - can i use this for an LED?  (Read 1113 times)

severdhed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
keywiz 5v - can i use this for an LED?
« on: August 22, 2010, 09:05:58 pm »
Hey guys, i tried searching, but couldn't find an answer.  I just finally got around to wiring up my new control panel, and i noticed that there is a 5v terminal on my keywiz (ps/2) encoder.  I have a single translucent button with a GGG button blaster LED, that i would like to light up.  Can i use this 5v on the keywiz for this?  this is in a showcase cabinet that i want to be able to detach the control panel portion and move it away in certain situations. therefore i need disconnects where the two pieces meet.  this isn't particularly hard to do with a PC power wire, but the less wires running through there, the better.  i can't imagine that a single LED would be too much for this, or what other purpose this 5v connection might have, but i dont want to destroy anything. It is only 1 LED, if i were running a bunch of them, i wouldn't even try.

can i do this?
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

bkenobi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
Re: keywiz 5v - can i use this for an LED?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:21:04 pm »
I don't know the answer, but if it were me I'd check the voltage with a multimeter.  If it's got 5v available, you should probably be fine.  I presume that's what it's there for (the only other thing would be 5v in, but I don't think that's it).

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 06:31:22 am »
Quote from GGG site

"42 Screw Connection Points Available on the PCB. 38 inputs, 1 Keyboard Switch input, 1 Ground, 1 Shazaaam! Key, and 1+5v DC output connection for powered joysticks or other low current 5v DC accessories."

So a single LED will be just fine.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:56:56 pm »
awesome...got it hooked up tonight and it looks good....only problem is, aparently the 5v is active even when the pc is off, so the light is always on
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

MikeDeuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2013, 04:38:38 pm
  • It does a body good.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 11:20:08 pm »
edit: Deleted -- I thought it was happening for the same reason for both the Key-Wiz and LED-Wiz, but I see what I was missing there.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:12:32 am by MikeDeuce »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:26:30 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 11:41:10 pm »
Not sure sure why the above was quoted.  It's not related at all to the KeyWiz 5v line.

When you connect something directly to the 5v line on the KeyWiz, then it's the same as stripping a PS/2 cable down to the 5v DC line and using it to connect something directly to the power line on the port.  It's simply a convenient way for one to access that power for something small, without needing to do that.  So if your PC leaves that line on, then of course, whatever you hook to it is going to remain on as well.

Sometimes this can be shut off in your PC's BIOS.

RandyT