Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Calibrate Guns in MAME?  (Read 6897 times)

kronic24601

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 03:08:54 pm
  • Evil Arcade Monkey Strikes Again!
Calibrate Guns in MAME?
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:04:14 pm »
Ok I have the AimTrak, and things work quite well in most games.

I tried to play CarnEvil yesterday and although my Cross-hairs were all calibrated accurately, when I pulled the trigger I could see the "bullet" effect hitting only in the left most corner ... like on the edge of the screen. No matter where I shot it was pretty much off the screen.

After pressing TAB and sifting through all the options I couldn't find a way to calibrate it.

This leads me to believe I'm supposed to calibrate it either in some other admin section within MAME that I'm not aware of ... or more likely, there is some way to calibrate it within the game itself???

Anyone have any thoughts?

markronz

• We traced the call, and it came from....INSIDE YOUR ARCADE MACHINE!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2019, 12:03:08 am
  • Game on!
Re: Calibrate Guns in MAME?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:37:28 pm »
I cannot speak to the AimTrak gun itself or the CarnEvil itself, but I can tell you that for a few shooting games, you have to go into the service menu for the game, and there is some sort of gun calibration that you need to do within there.   

I myself have the Act Labs guns, and what I do to do for a few games was this:

1.  First make sure the guns were set up in the MAME controller configs for the game.
2.  Do the calibration on the gun itself (Act Labs guns have a calibration button thing directly on the gun, not sure if AimTrak's do...)
3.  If necessary, go into the service menu within the game itself and do the configuring.

Hope that helps!

kronic24601

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:55:00 pm »
So ... pardon this simple seeming question ... but ... how do you go into the service menu of any particular game?

bkenobi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:55:48 pm »
F2 IIRC.

markronz

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 01:06:19 pm »
Yeah, usually it's F2, but it's a configurable button like any other in MAME.  So go and look at the MAME controls and see was Service is set to, and change it if desired.

kronic24601

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 02:34:33 pm »
awesome thanks!

Also, kinda a related quesiton.

In MAME ... I'm trying to figure out how to configure button presses ... I cannot quite figure out how to get an "AND" or "OR" logic in there.

For example

(1 AND up) might deliver a different result ... I'm sure this is really simple but I'm kind of a tard...

Firebat138

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 01:20:35 pm
  • Head Brewer and Arcade Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 02:46:26 pm »
In answer to the Carnevil thing...  I am pretty sure that game doesnt work, or at least I could never get it working.  Let me know if ya get it...
Click below to see my Metal Gear/Splinter Cell Machine... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108360.0

Click below to see my PinCab - PinWARS
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164660.0.html

nickynooch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2020, 02:54:00 am
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 02:54:32 pm »
In answer to the Carnevil thing...  I am pretty sure that game doesnt work, or at least I could never get it working.  Let me know if ya get it...

Carnevil works fine for me with the actlabs guns in mame.

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 01:20:35 pm
  • Head Brewer and Arcade Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 02:56:47 pm »
damn....  i have to relook at this again...  I could never get that one working... 
Click below to see my Metal Gear/Splinter Cell Machine... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108360.0

Click below to see my PinCab - PinWARS
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164660.0.html

kronic24601

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 03:02:37 pm »
well CarnEvil requires both a fast computer, and the CHD ... so that might be your problem ... the game works fine for me, but my shots are just not calibrated right in-game.

nickynooch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2020, 02:54:00 am
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 04:41:19 pm »
You do have to do the service menu thing for the actlabs too (if memory serves), but trust me it works.  Perfect aim too!

markronz

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 04:49:45 pm »
I wish I could get CarnEvil to work on my machine.   :(    I have a Pentium D Dual Core 3.4 Ghz machine and the game is still so choppy that I can't even play it.   I have the CHD and everything.  Extremely minimal other software running on the machine.   I can't figure out why it won't work for me either.  If anyone has any tips on that, let me know...

OP, in regards to setting the buttons you just have to keep hitting whatever button you have set for select to get the OR going.   So you would highlight the item you want to remap, hit the select button, press the button you want to set there.   Then if you want to set another key for that (the OR command) you would just hit the select button again and hit the next button.  Rinse, repeat. The main thing is that you don't move the cursor off of that button when you do it.   If you move to a different button and then back and try to set it, it will just overwrite whats there.   Man that sounded sort of confusing...  Hopefully that made sense.

When in doubt, you can always just manually update the default cfg file.

kronic24601

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 04:53:14 pm »
Ok so then "AND" would be pressing them at the same time? I think I'm having problems due to the kind of keys (like f8 and ctrl don't like to go together).

As for the setup, take a look at my footer ... even with my setup CarnEvil has a choppy beginning with that clown and the spinning background. His words get a little behind and chug a bit ... I think 5GHz would be ideal ...

markronz

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 05:02:01 pm »
Sorry, I'm less familiar with the AND as I don't have a need for it on my cabinet.   If I were to do it, I would probably manually go hack the Default cfg file.   There's likely a way to set it through the real menus, but I don't know how to do it.  Hopefully someone else here and help you with how to do that.

Otherwise, you could just set up the two different buttons as an OR and then edit the default config file changing the OR to an AND.

TAG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2014, 05:52:05 pm
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 05:08:11 pm »
I wish I could get CarnEvil to work on my machine.   :(    I have a Pentium D Dual Core 3.4 Ghz machine and the game is still so choppy that I can't even play it.   I have the CHD and everything.  Extremely minimal other software running on the machine.   I can't figure out why it won't work for me either.  If anyone has any tips on that, let me know...

Using MAME .119, it runs fine on the 3 ghz Core2Duo I'm using.  A little stuttering on the clown, but nothing affecting gameplay.  Maybe a slight frameskip will help without causing too much jumpiness?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

-- Dirk Gently

Cananas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2017, 07:39:03 am
  • and the seventh day... PacMan was created
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 02:58:34 am »
Ok I have the AimTrak, and things work quite well in most games.

I tried to play CarnEvil yesterday and although my Cross-hairs were all calibrated accurately, when I pulled the trigger I could see the "bullet" effect hitting only in the left most corner ... like on the edge of the screen. No matter where I shot it was pretty much off the screen.

After pressing TAB and sifting through all the options I couldn't find a way to calibrate it.

This leads me to believe I'm supposed to calibrate it either in some other admin section within MAME that I'm not aware of ... or more likely, there is some way to calibrate it within the game itself???

Anyone have any thoughts?

This could be useful:
http://www.ultimarc.com/AimTrak%20Setup%20Guide.pdf

kronic24601

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 06:09:50 pm »
very nice. It has all the game specific information toward the end of the PDF.