Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My first Frankenpanel. How to configure joystick inputs.  (Read 2047 times)

jimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
My first Frankenpanel. How to configure joystick inputs.
« on: March 11, 2015, 08:32:22 am »

Only kidding.

But I do want to put a 4way stick in the middle of a streetfighter type layout, for a friends MAME machine.

It seemed like a simple plan, nothing to configure, just use MAME defaults and parallel the extra joystick. But then I realised that the midddle 4way joystick would be sending the same inputs as the player 1 joystick.  So player 2 could accidentaly or on purpose interfere with player1 inputs which is not ideal.

I could send different key presses from the 4way. But either I would have to pre-configure every 4way game to use the different inputs, or my friend would have to use the MAME menu to configure each game first time he plays it.   I could probably program something up to produce a configuration file for every 4way game. Would that be a robust way of doing this? I don't want a phone call in future saying all the 4way games have stopped working.

Any other ideas?

On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: My first Frankenpanel. How to configure joystick inputs.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 09:53:33 am »
Most (if not all) the games that use 4 way are going to be played either single player or those that are 2 player are alternating turn using the same joystick and usually you don't have someone reaching for the 4 way in the middle of a 2 player game - so wouldn't really worry about the inputs being hit by mistake. So mirroring the inputs on both the 4 way and player 1 8 way shouldn't really be a problem and will be much simpler than changing every game setting.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:16:09 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 11:15:01 am »
I think if you mount the 4-way high enough on the panel, it should never be an issue. Otherwise, you could install additional switches to activate/deactivate the 4-way but that just seems like overkill.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:35:34 pm by DarthMarino »

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:38:12 am »
Once your buddies find out they can mess with you by flicking that joystick they will, I'm sure it will grow old quick, but personally I would wire it up separate and change the control mapping for the 4-way games, you only have to do it once, and how many do you plan on having on there anyway?
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 01:15:03 pm »
run the ground wire that leads to the 4 way to a toggle (STDP) switch  only accessible from the player 1 side (like under the panel or something). Wanna play a 4way game? flip the switch. sounds easier than mapping the 4 way to its own inputs then remapping all the 4way games in MAME to those inputs.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

jimmer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 03:31:41 pm »
run the ground wire that leads to the 4 way to a toggle (STDP) switch  only accessible from the player 1 side (like under the panel or something). Wanna play a 4way game? flip the switch. sounds easier than mapping the 4 way to its own inputs then remapping all the 4way games in MAME to those inputs.

Nice one. I was thinking I'd need a 4pole switch!

And this can be deployed later, only if it's needed.
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 03:43:55 pm »
Break their hands if they mess with the joystick.

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 03:49:26 pm »

Now that's clever. I was picturing a 4 pole double throw switch and a mess of wires :dizzy:. Just switch the ground... genius.

Woops, no warning that this had already been replied to. Oh well, great minds think alike I guess.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 04:48:14 pm »
I have a knack for coming up with weird solutions that work, like the Malenko mount for Haruman  :cheers:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 12:35:12 am »

Definitely this.
And if by chance you're using any kind of lighting controller, you can even automate it