Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Led configuration question(s)  (Read 1277 times)

EvilNuff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
Led configuration question(s)
« on: August 27, 2010, 12:31:29 pm »
I have a few questions about led configurations using Mala.  I have, in fact, searched here and the Mala wiki but I am having trouble distilling information out of such a varied set of input data.  Any help is appreciated.

What I want is to illuminate controls used by a game when the game is launched (possibly at select time in mala but at launch time is sufficient for me).  No attract mode needed, no color changes needed, etc.

I believe that there are at least 3 different hardware options I can use to drive the led's.  Led-wiz from GGG, PacDrive from ultimarc and "Mala hardware"?  My undestanding is pacdrive will support 16 leds at a constant intensity, led-wiz supports 32 unique outputs and variable intensity.  Both appear to be fine for my needs would be my guess?  With led-wiz having more future expandability at a higher cost?

It looks like pacdrive is natively supported by Mala and there is an led-wiz plugin at malafe.net...so again I assume either would do what I want?

I see many folks using ledblinky...but I'm not really able to determine what it does that isn't already accounted for with plugins?  It can do voice description of controls, which I do not need (but is pretty cool heh).  I am guessing that for my needs, I do not need ledblinky, is this accurate?

Any help clarifying the various options out there is appreciated!

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: Led configuration question(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:28:09 pm »
Sounds like a PacDrive is all you need  ;D

You can get it working petty fast to do what you want.

You can start using it with MaLa natively then later if you want to expand with more leds you can buy another PacDrive (with separate id). Total 32

If you want it to be more clever (like do stuff while mame is running) then later use with with LedBlinky Plugin instead ;-)

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 10:36:33 pm »
Will led-wiz work the same as pac drive in this context if I choose to go that route?

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 10:54:31 pm »
Will led-wiz work the same as pac drive in this context if I choose to go that route?

Yep, You will need to use a plugin though.

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 10:57:27 pm »
Awesome...thank you much for the help.