Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Retro Study  (Read 3085 times)

Dal1980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 07:20:21 am
  • Load "1980"
    • retro.zombiesbyte.com/projects
    • Retro Zombies Byte
Retro Study
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:48:49 am »
Hi Guys

I'm in early stages of planning a refurbishment of my study (aka computer room). I wanted to share this project and get some feedback. Feel free to post if you spot something that you have advice on. This is probably not going to be starting until mid 2017 due to other stuff going on. Not only that but where I'll be working from while this renovation is happening is quite cold so I need Mrs Summer to be there keeping me warm  :laugh:

I like to start any project with a bit of a sketchup, (I'm no expert at this software but it helps me plan, recently found a light and rendering plugin which helps a great deal)

Anyway pictures speak a 1,000 words so less text more visual reference:

The current study looks like this:

So you can see it's a pretty small room

The initial room created in sketchup

Let's add some colour on our feature wall. It's been suggested that I use Vinyl for this covering over printed wallpaper. Not entirely sure how and I hope the res of the image I have is big enough to cope with the print size.

Fancied making a Rubiks Cube style table (non-solved) perhaps using it as a storage box too.

The image below has now got a LED strip lights on a inset board that will run around the room (about 200mm drip from the ceiling)

The idea of using a nice clean LED light but having strips that allow for colour change would be great

Then full blow emergency mode for those red alert times we all have  ;D

But what carpet? Ah, carpet tiles grant me a pixel style covering!  ;)

Spotted this and thought something like this might add nicely to the room

Thoughts, suggestions?

I'm on my last life, best not try anything stupid

-> Check out my other projects at http://retro.zombiesbyte.com/projects

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
Re: Retro Study
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 09:02:02 am »
If you start adding mario elements, would it make more sense to make the feature wall use Mario graphics? That's Sonic graphics, right?

Wyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 09:22:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 09:03:10 am »
I think this is going to be cool and now I really want a rubics cube end table!

Dal1980

• Offline Offline
  • Load "1980"
    • Retro Zombies Byte
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 09:10:19 am »
If you start adding mario elements, would it make more sense to make the feature wall use Mario graphics? That's Sonic graphics, right?

Maybe, my only concern is that it starts looking too much like a Sonic level. The idea is a room that has hints to all of retro plus Mario level blocks are easier to make than sonic ledges :)

I think this is going to be cool and now I really want a rubics cube end table!

Haha! this is what happened to me! I saw this which made me have the same (cough) "need" for the Rubiks Cube table...

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 09:21:29 am »
Gotcha!

I love the mario blocks. For my office, I don't have enough space to create a full ledge, I'd probably have to make them not so deep. The most recognizable and underrated 80's arcade symbol is this guy:

Not sure if you have the space, but nothing says retro like a couple of arcade games. You could check out some of the thin cabinets.

Love the LED lights. I've tried to figure out a way to work them into my space. I don't have crown molding to hide the ceiling lit lights, but I just may have to get some... Good luck, watching this with interest.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 02:37:00 am »
I agree with Lew if you are going for a retro game feel having a wallpaper from one game will dominate to much.

Maybe a scene that incorporates lots of characters on a generic stage instead?
Think smash bros.

Tetris would make some interesting wall paper or maybe something like super puzzle fighter?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 02:45:11 am »
Also just to add you can get some nice effects with the RGB LED strip lights if you plan there use carefully.

Use a reflective surface to throw the light around a bit.

I used then to light up my conservatory at home by glueing 45 degree angle around the top of the conservatory and sticking the light strips to that.
When they are on the light is thrown up into the roof space and reflected down which looks smart IMO.

Pictures dont do justice as it shows up the individual lights and picks up the light to harshly but this will give you a idea:

Dal1980

• Offline Offline
  • Load "1980"
    • Retro Zombies Byte
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 08:14:20 am »
Thanks Titchgamer, I could secure a 45 degree board between the crown and the wall and fix the strips to that then.

Ill be pulling everything out of this room and getting back to brick as i think it would be easier than trying to work around what is there. There is currently no crown installed and I've not come up with a plan on how to secure one but i imagine I'd have to make it out of wood boarding. I was thinking MDF since this will give me a nice surface to paint. I could set the rigging up for the 45 degree at this point in the install but it is extra work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk