Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Adapting a pinball plunger  (Read 1309 times)

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2019, 06:15:33 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
Adapting a pinball plunger
« on: May 07, 2010, 07:59:08 pm »
My mame cab is one that will have pinball support as well. My CP's got the side mounted flippers, I'm likely going to use either a WIIMOTE or a uhid for tilt support and I picked up a plunger a while back on ebay.

Thing is it was all chrome, which didn't work right with my cab at all.

So I found a local guy that does brass plating. Well, long story short, that as more than 5 +months+ ago (when he told me the slowest he'd have it done by was 6 weeks!). Yeah, I was pretty much thinking I'd never see my parts again.

I finally resorted to pestering the hell out of the guy till he relented and finished them up, and I got them back.

Well, in all those 5 months, the guy NEVER thought to call me and tell me he couldn't plate the damn aluminum knob on the end of the plunger! Jeez, talk about great customer service!<sheesh>

Anyway, so now I have a nicely brass plated pinball plunger with an aluminum knob on the end!<urg>

So, here's want I +want+ to do.

I found a nice victorian style cabinet knob, standard screw mount.

So I'd like to take the aluminum knob off and put this on.

BUT, it looks like the aluminum knob has been hydraulically pressed on.

I could pull out an angle grinder and get it off, but then, given that the plunger rod looks like stainless steel, i'm not sure even IF I could drill and thread a hole in the end for a screw to mount the new knob.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
Re: Adapting a pinball plunger
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 08:03:50 pm »
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2019, 06:15:33 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
Re: Adapting a pinball plunger
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:30:36 pm »
Doh! Well, +now+ he tells me  :)

Thanks for that link!