Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: please delete  (Read 8910 times)

reptileink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
please delete
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:00:23 am »
Mods, please delete
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:49:49 am by reptileink »

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: "Themeless" Arcade build here...first one
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 04:03:07 pm »
What I am stuck on now is a theme. My favorite comic book character is Venom. So I was thinking of doing a black cabinet with white t-molding, and some Venom artwork, but that is kind of scarce. Also not sure how I feel about white molding either. I was thinking of maybe dark blue since a lot of artists shade Venom in blue.....

I really like the idea of old school characters, but I feel that is too generic, and been done a thousand times....

I am a big comic book fan too, so I could always do a Marvel themed unit.......   :dunno
+1 for the Venom idea. You've peaked my interest.

I think if you are going to go that route, the black cabinet with white trimming would be great!  You can then have Venom in his dark blue shade as well, as it fits more of the old school spider-man/venom comics.

Here's what I'd do:

I took the liberty to throw your image into photoshop for a theme test.
Now this may look intimidating, work-wise, but if you want a good looking cabinet I say go all out with it. The fact that the webs and the venom symbol are one colour, white, it would make it really easy for you to make stencils and spray paint the white.  Now, everyone fears stenciling, but it really comes down to patience and confidence in getting it down. I've stenciled my artwork onto my Canucks Cocktail cabinet (link in my sig), and even  had more than one colour.  It was actually pretty easy!
What I'd do is stencil spray-paint the symbols and webbing straight onto the black, then get an image of Venom (whether from the internet, or scanned in from one of your comics. you don't have to worry about vectorizing if it's a high resolution picture) and print it out to be pasted on top of the painted webbing.

With the stenciling, again, find an image on the web and print it out with a normal printer in black and white. Then trace the image onto poster board or stenciling sheets (if you can find them), then cut the image out where the paint is supposed to be spray through. Attach the stencil and paint. Easy-peasy, and the outcome is so much nicer and more durable than printed vinyl. You'll save lots of money too. There are a bunch of threads here that people have used stencils, do a search if you're interested.

For the printed Venom image, I'd go with a glossy adhesive vinyl print...it doesn't have to be a big image either. The Glossy vinyl could look really good with the white spray paint, if you get a glossy paint to match. Again, on my Canucks cocktail cabinet I went with Glossy white paint, and the contrast between the eggshell blue and glossy white turned out excellent.
Another idea is one side of the cabinet could have venom, the other could be Spiderman in his black suit!

Anyways, that's my suggestion, and it gives you a starting point at least.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:08:48 pm by opt2not »

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 04:12:04 pm »
I spent half the day at work(in-between customers) reading your Canucks thread(even though I am a Canadiens fan)

I have done some stenciling before

I actually like the haze on this, but not on the cab.

I think it would be pretty damn hard to get a spiderweb stencil to go on that crisp though.. :-\

I really love your Photoshop though....lol.....great design!

Thanks for being the one comment out of 50+ views..... :notworthy:

EDIT: Would you suggest dismantling this whole cabinet, or should I just work on it whole?? I fear if I take it all apart, I will run into more problems re-assembling it......  :dunno
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:32:42 pm by reptileink »

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 04:45:10 pm »
Work on it whole.

Oh man, go Canadiens! They're my eastern conference team. Big game tonight.
I'm rooting for an all Canadian Stanley cup final, Canadiens vs. Canucks! That would be epic.

Cool looking 360. I like the haze for the Punisher symbol too, it definitely works for that.  But you don't need to have the haze happen to the venom artwork if you seal the stencil good enough.

Actually, spider webs wouldn't be too bad if you just used painters tape. They're real easy, a bunch of lines converging to the center, with rounded intersecting lines connected all around.

It could be as simple as this. It would just take some patience.

Alternatively and probably easier, you can paint the cabinet sides white first, then mask the lines you want to be the webs with painter's tape, then paint the cabinet black. When you remove the tape, you'll have the white lines revealed from underneath!

Also, the photoshop image I put up has the spider webs being pretty thick...you could opt for skinnier ones using thinner painter's tape, which would look a lot nicer (sorry, I was in a rush when putting this image together).

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 05:14:41 pm »
Errrrr, not sure I am too talented with painter's tape. That would be a crap-ton of work to get curves, etc....

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 05:34:31 pm »
Errrrr, not sure I am too talented with painter's tape. That would be a crap-ton of work to get curves, etc....
Like I said...takes a bit of patience and confidence, but the outcome is well worth it all. It really isn't that hard, if you're willing to put in the work.

The other thing I was thinking is that you don't have to have the entire side covered in webbing. You can pick a center point for the web, then let it trail off as it gets further away. Like so:

Anyways, just a suggestion. In the end, it's your choice on what direction you wanna take this.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 05:50:43 pm »
Oh no, cool stuff here.

I know it is my decision in the long run, I just don't want to mess it up, ya know?

Keep em coming!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 06:24:50 pm »
I know it is my decision in the long run, I just don't want to mess it up, ya know?
You won't know that till you try. :)
Confidence!

RandomCitizenX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2014, 03:26:34 pm
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 01:14:05 am »
I want to vote for the more minimal web effect if you do go with the venom theme. I am not normally a fan of the character, but I think opt2not's render has won me over.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 10:17:06 am »
Tiny update here, I bought my white T-molding today so I guess I am somewhat "married" to a Venom cabinet.

Also grabbed a "false coin door" which you guys will probably flame me for, but because I am using the Xbox, I don't have a need to buy a new coin door.

Not looking like July is going to be a possibility as a finish time, as I really haven't even gotten to do any work on it.
I'll probably just slap everything together so people can jam on it at my cookout, then get down to brass tacks...

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
Re: Official: Venom themed Arcade progress log
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 11:33:46 am »
deleted
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:47:00 am by reptileink »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:43:52 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 02:23:01 pm »
This is a very cool theme, even though I'm not such a big Venom fan. A general Spidey cabinet (not a take on the arcade game), or a Doc Ock one would rock though. But, each to their own.  :cheers:

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 02:35:05 pm »
It's so hard coming up with a theme because it's pretty much permanent. I have been collecting Venom stuff since I was 15(34 now) so I figured that he's been my one favorite thing all these years, would make sense to use that as a theme.

Of course, he really doesn't have much to do with arcade games, but at least I can look at it and enjoy it, and that's what matters.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 03:11:16 pm »
Nice grab on the speakers. Glad they turned out well for you, they're pretty much the same setup as my Galaxbox -- which is awesome. Hmmm, that reminds me, I really should update that thread...

Anyways, glad you went with the theme. If you're that big of a fan of Venom, then why not have an arcade cabinet themed that way. There are a bunch of games he's featured in that you can have running on this thing.

I'll keep an eye on your thread, if there are any questions you need answered, or pointers you need, don't hesitate to ask!  :cheers:

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 03:37:29 pm »
Thanks man, you have been the biggest help so far, and I appreciate it!

I started my marquee, but I really can't get anything done here at work(no photoshop)

Was just playing with mark-ups in paint... :lol

AmericanDemon

• The Reason the short bus was invented... 100% Slacker Guaranteed, 4:20 yet?
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2019, 11:08:03 pm
  • Still an AmericanDemon
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 07:00:40 pm »
This is a slick idea.  I'm surprised no one has ganked it yet.  ;)  My suggestion would be to use his emblem on the CP.  You could fit a white trackball in its body and it wouldnt look out of place.  I'd be more apt to do a mcfarlane venom on the kickpanel to just make it look cool.  Big drooly tongue and what not!

flashiv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2019, 03:58:34 pm
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 01:11:49 pm »
Just wanted to say opt2not, that is an awesome photoshop job.  I'm not even a Marvel fan (go DC) and I want a cab like that now!   :laugh2:

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 01:25:38 pm »
Nice! ;)

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 04:22:36 pm »
Thanks man, you have been the biggest help so far, and I appreciate it!
No problem, just helping out where I can.
This is a slick idea.  I'm surprised no one has ganked it yet.  ;)  My suggestion would be to use his emblem on the CP.  You could fit a white trackball in its body and it wouldnt look out of place.  I'd be more apt to do a mcfarlane venom on the kickpanel to just make it look cool.  Big drooly tongue and what not!
Did another quick photoshoppin' based on your feedback:

Sorry, I know that's not a todd mcfarlane image at the kick-panel, i didn't have time to search for one. Just used something to see how it looks.
Looks pretty cool me thinks! I also like the idea of the emblem on the CP top. Good suggestions!

reptileink, if you go with the thinner, more sparse spider-webs on the sides it shouldn't be too much work to set-up. Just a bit of clever taping would do the trick!

Anyways, hope this helps for more theme visualization.   :cheers:

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 04:57:59 pm »
I won't be installing a track ball.

I have an idea for the toe panel:

Eddie_Brock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2014, 12:00:34 pm
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 06:22:57 pm »
Eddie_Brock approves!  :applaud:

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 09:44:48 am »
I figured you would Eddie....lol

AmericanDemon

• The Reason the short bus was invented... 100% Slacker Guaranteed, 4:20 yet?
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2019, 11:08:03 pm
  • Still an AmericanDemon
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 07:46:34 pm »
I love that art for the kick panel.  Totally awesome.  I would probably enlarge the emblem a bit.  Make it close to filling the panel, unless you add something in the top left and right corners.  That may be a bit unbalanced. 

Good photoshop work ;)

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 10:54:58 am »
I love that art for the kick panel.  Totally awesome.  I would probably enlarge the emblem a bit.  Make it close to filling the panel, unless you add something in the top left and right corners.  That may be a bit unbalanced. 

Good photoshop work ;)

Actually, Opt2not did all the PS work....

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 03:57:07 pm »
Ok, been browsing different painter's tape online.

I think I will opt for the thinner lines, and a more hap-hazzard web design...not too sure there

My question is this: How does one "curve" painters tape? I have seen many "Overhaulin" type shows and watch how they do flame jobs and such, but of course, they have YEARS of experience....

Any recommendations as to what size or type I'd need?? Thanks!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 05:17:04 pm »
Ok, been browsing different painter's tape online.
Scotch brand - blue
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100166232/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
I use this tape for my stencil lines. The "blue" type is for delicate surfaces, but it has enough adhesion to keep the paint out. A good trick is to tape it down, then run a card (credit card or plastic scraper) along the tape to work the small bubbles out. Another good trick is to run your finger with a good amount of pressure, back and forth along the tape-edges, creating friction heat so that the adhesion fuses to the surface more.

I think I will opt for the thinner lines, and a more hap-hazzard web design...not too sure there

My question is this: How does one "curve" painters tape? I have seen many "Overhaulin" type shows and watch how they do flame jobs and such, but of course, they have YEARS of experience....

Any recommendations as to what size or type I'd need?? Thanks!
Get yourself thin and thick. It's good to have both handy.
For the curves you can try the more time consuming (but in the end, cleaner/less error prone) way of "fanning" short tape pieces around a curve:

The other way is to cut out a stencil from hardboard or poster board, or whatever material you'd like. But that might be harder to get cleaner lines. My vote is on taping.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 03:53:40 pm »
I've got my plan of attack down for the webbing, hope it works. I will be painting the whole unit in Krylon Primer White(at least 2 coats, if not 3). I will then tape out the webbing with car detailing tape. Nice and skinny, versus covering the whole side.

Of course now I am thinking of making it a Venom VS Spiderman cabinet, but we'll see.

Also, I picked up some Elmer's Wood filler. Opt, how easy is this stuff to work with? I've done my fair share of drywall, so I am pretty skilled with a putty knife and trowel. I was going to cut out the damaged pieces and replace them with new MDF, but I think I can fix it with the filler instead, it's not too bad other than that chewed up corner in front....  :dunno

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 04:13:16 pm »
I've got my plan of attack down for the webbing, hope it works. I will be painting the whole unit in Krylon Primer White(at least 2 coats, if not 3). I will then tape out the webbing with car detailing tape. Nice and skinny, versus covering the whole side.
Good stuff! I'm glad you committed to the webs! :applaud:
It really won't be that difficult IMO.

Also, I picked up some Elmer's Wood filler. Opt, how easy is this stuff to work with? I've done my fair share of drywall, so I am pretty skilled with a putty knife and trowel. I was going to cut out the damaged pieces and replace them with new MDF, but I think I can fix it with the filler instead, it's not too bad other than that chewed up corner in front....  :dunno
Wood filler works pretty close to Spackle.
Some people use bondo for more heavy filling/shaping...bondo also dries a hellava lot faster... but for small areas, wood filler would work well. I used filler for my cocktail cabinet corners, and it turned out well. So you should be ok there.  Just remember, like spackle, you gotta make sure it clings to the surrounding surface of the area you're filling. Let it completely dry (overnight i think - can't remember what Elmer's recommends) before you sand/shape.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 04:23:48 pm »
Just wasn't looking forward to toxic bondo and the stench  :dizzy:. I got nothing but time so an overnight dry isn't a big deal.

From what you can see of my damage, I should be able to pull that off, right? I will probably just slab it on there and then use the sander to form it after it dries....  :dunno

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 04:42:46 pm »
Just wasn't looking forward to toxic bondo and the stench  :dizzy:. I got nothing but time so an overnight dry isn't a big deal.

From what you can see of my damage, I should be able to pull that off, right? I will probably just slab it on there and then use the sander to form it after it dries....  :dunno

Yeah, that's the same reason I prefer wood filler, less stinky...and works about the same in the end. 

Your damage looks similar to my cocktail cabinet, just edge work and some corner rebuilding. You should be fine.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 11:49:00 am »
Ok, Coin door or Cabinet access door???

I am not ever planning on hooking up an operating coin door, however I kind of want the look.

I saw the cabinet access doors on Happ, and thought that would do the trick, but then I lose the feel of a "true" arcade, even only if in looks.

The entry door is like $70 versus over $100 for a coin door  :dunno

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 04:11:21 pm »
Thanks to Hama33 for hooking me up with his custom bezel!

Started doing some tweaks on it.

For some reason, can't get the "Venom" logo to stay true to color. I have downloaded it numerous times, and everytime I add it to Power point(the program he created it in) it changes the colors to what you see now???  :banghead:

Anyway, I don't have all my emulators mapped out or even installed yet, so all that will be a work. Probably won't keep the games listed on the right other than MK and Street Fighter, but we'll see. Trying to get some artwork to run down the sides instead, and move the "menu" box down where the emulator boxes are, because I won't have as many as he does...

Let me know what you think
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:13:45 pm by reptileink »

kizer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2012, 07:25:30 pm
    • Links4jeeps.com
Personally since its going to say venom at the top of your cab and on the sides I would loose the Venom text and the two faces and go with some artwork that spans the entire top of the bezel.

Of course thats just my opinion. ;)

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
Re: Official: Venom themed Arcade progress log..some bezel work done 5/28
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 09:37:33 am »
Hmmm, Venom may not be so official anymore. I am now thinking of doing a Punisher themed cab. Still black with white t-molding, but doing Punisher skulls would be a LOT easier than webbing. Plus, less stuff I have to pay to have printed because stenciling is easy for a skull.....  :dunno

dawolv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2016, 08:23:21 am
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 10:41:10 am »
Figures...I like both Venom and Punisher LOL.
Im a bit more partial to The Punisher.

I am enjoying watching this project, since I am still unsure whether to go the Superhero Theme route for my cab too.

Great Bezel work!

Great Art Work Opt2Not!   :applaud:
*Prods Opt2not to get to drawing up a Punisher version*  ;)

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 02:32:33 pm »
Yea, I just found some great Punisher wall decals for pretty short money that I can just peel and stick for side art. I still may take the spraypaint stencil look however like from the Tom Jane movie, with maybe some drips.

I think I am heavily leaning towards that now, as it's just going to be a heck of a lot easier to pull off, and I really don't have a TON of time to mess with it.

I'm thinking bullet holes with maybe LEDs behind them or something...kinda gritty and dirty, more like the movies and not the comics.

How's this sound:

CASTLE ARCADE.....lol

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
Re: Punisher or Venom cabinet undecided now....lol
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 03:21:40 pm »
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:48:12 am by reptileink »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 03:50:36 pm »
Punisher ???  Awwwwww...I never really found an appeal for that character.

Well I guess it'll go with your spray painted 360...and it'll be easier to slap some artwork on and be done with it.
And the skull stencil would be easier.
Good luck with the rest of the project, I'll be following along with the rest of us.    :cheers:

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 03:53:57 pm »
Punisher ???  Awwwwww...I never really found an appeal for that character.

Well I guess it'll go with your spray painted 360...and it'll be easier to slap some artwork on and be done with it.
And the skull stencil would be easier.
Good luck with the rest of the project, I'll be following along with the rest of us.    :cheers:

awww.....was hoping you'd PS up something for me  :cry: ....lol. Sorry to disappoint man, but my time is really limited with real life crap. I love Punisher as much as I love Venom, so it works for me. I just have so many more ideas to work with on a Punisher theme. Guns, bullets, etc. Kinda goes better with videogames IMO.  :dunno

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 04:26:46 pm »
awww.....was hoping you'd PS up something for me  :cry: ....lol. Sorry to disappoint man, but my time is really limited with real life crap. I love Punisher as much as I love Venom, so it works for me. I just have so many more ideas to work with on a Punisher theme. Guns, bullets, etc. Kinda goes better with videogames IMO.  :dunno
Yeah, I can throw something together for you. Probably this weekend.
Got any ideas of what you'd like to see? That would give me a starting point...

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 05:18:04 pm »
actually, not much to the design, so you don't have to. Just wanted to get a visual of my idea.

Basically still same color scheme. Black cab, white t-molding. Big Punisher skull on each side. The above bezel, and whatever else you might want to cook up. Was thinking of naming it Castle Arcade as in Frank Castle, the Punisher, but not sure....Just have fun with it if you want....

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2010, 12:44:09 pm »
Id say go with punisher >:D

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2010, 09:36:44 am »
deleted
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:48:53 am by reptileink »