Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Smash TV Restoration - Sort Of  (Read 3928 times)

flashiv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2019, 03:58:34 pm
Smash TV Restoration - Sort Of
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:31:08 pm »
I got this cab at Midwest Gaming Classic on 3/27/10.  It cost me $500.00, so I didn't get a steal, but didn't feel like I got robbed either.  I know it isn't an original Smash TV cab, but I am going to "restore" it to look as close as possible to the cab on the Smash TV promo flyer.  Since this isn't an original Smash TV cab I will be only using re-pro art, so I don't destroy any original art on a non-original cab.  The only exception to this is I have an original marquee.  I will be trying to find Smash TV art work I can get printed.  Anyone who has any they care to share, please let me know.  This is my first cab, not counting my MAME cab I built (which peeked it's ugly head in the pics and needs an overhaul  ;D).  Also the game show host doesn't say his famous phrases.  I assume it's something not hooked up right on the board.  I just learned JAMMA boards existed only maybe a year ago, so I know nothing about them.  Here's hoping I don't fry anything.   :cry:  I will be asking many many questions to the many wise people or is that wiseguys  :laugh2: here about JAMMAs and such stuff.  Does anyone know what this cab originally was?  Attached are pictures of this beauty and a pic of the flyer.

MaximRecoil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
Re: Smash TV Restoration - Sort Of
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 01:37:37 pm »
Does anyone know what this cab originally was?

Looks like a Williams Sinistar to me.

flashiv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:17:11 pm »
It sure does look like Sinistar is a good candidate.  I noticed a "1983" stamped on the inside of the cab after I posted yesterday.  I can't put a pic of that up yet as my arm is still in a sling.  But as soon as I can get someone to push it out I will take a pic of that too.  It looks like Sinistar was released in 1982 so that might jive if it was a from a later batch.  If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.  Thanks Maximum.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:49:12 am by flashiv »

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:36:32 pm »
It could also be a Robotron...when you can, open up the control panel and take a picture of the inside of it.
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:51:02 am »
I'm betting Robotron (Smash TV's big brother).  Sinistar has a vertical monitor.

I would leave that thing pretty much as-in. That's a damn good conversion.

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 05:57:25 pm »
I'm betting Robotron (Smash TV's big brother).  Sinistar has a vertical monitor.

It is not a Robotron cabinet. Look at the angles in the part I circled in the attached picture.

Edit: I think it is a Williams Splat! cabinet. Judging from the picture on KLOV, it is the same design as a Sinistar cabinet; plus it has a horizontal monitor and the same control layout as Smash T.V.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 06:24:40 pm by MaximRecoil »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:34:45 pm »
Definitely not a Robotron. Here's a William's profile comparison picture (ignore the Red Arrow - that was for another thread)

This cabinet could have been a Bubbles, Mystic Marathon, Sinistar, or Splat Cabinet.

flashiv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 02:54:23 pm »
Posted by: Q*Bert_24/7
It could also be a Robotron...when you can, open up the control panel and take a picture of the inside of it.

FlashIV : The next weekend or two I'll have some one over to help move it away from the wall.  I should be picking up a camera for myself sometime this week I hope.

Posted by: SirPeale
I'm betting Robotron (Smash TV's big brother).  Sinistar has a vertical monitor.

FlashIV : The monitor has been replaced with a new PC monitor by the seller, and the original bezel is long gone.  So I don't know if it was originally Vert or Hort.
I am just planning on replacing the re-pro art with "correct flyer" Smash TV re-pro art.  BTW awesome restores on your website.  Wish I knew 1/10 of that, maybe someday. 

Thanks a bunch for the profile pic Opt2not.  Looks like I have 4 contenders now.  Especially in light of the original monitor not being in the cab anymore.  I will check the dates of the other games, to see if any of those also fit the time frame.

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 07:23:17 pm »

Thanks a bunch for the profile pic Opt2not.  Looks like I have 4 contenders now.  Especially in light of the original monitor not being in the cab anymore.  I will check the dates of the other games, to see if any of those also fit the time frame.

Even though it could have been any one of those four cabinets, Splat! is the most likely, since it already has the same control layout as Smash TV.  

Next in likelihood would be Bubbles and Mystic Marathon. Both of those machines would have required altering or replacing the control panel/controls; in addition to the new board, artwork, and JAMMA wiring.

Sinistar is the least likely, due to its vertical monitor (though if it is easily rotatable like in a Dynamo cabinet, then it wouldn't have been much of a hardship to do so).

Look at the underside of your control panel. Has it been modified? Look for extra holes that have been patched/filled. If you don't see any, then it is almost definitely a Splat! cabinet (or at the very least, a Splat! control panel).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:28:33 pm by MaximRecoil »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 07:54:11 pm »
Sinistar would definitely be too much trouble because of the vertical monitor.

My money is on Splat! or Mystic Marathon.
Definitely not Bubbles.

Splat! already has the control scheme, so that would have been a better candidate.

Mystic Marathon because it was a less popular game out of the 3, and being a 1983 release, it would make most sense to convert that cabinet. Though they could have made Splat!'s in '83 as well.