Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Taito cabinet disassembly -- how do I do it (or should I)?  (Read 3599 times)

Triangel7D

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2017, 01:06:09 pm
Taito cabinet disassembly -- how do I do it (or should I)?
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:42:34 pm »
I hope this isn't a dumb question. I'm refurbishing an old, semi-beat-up classic wood Taito cabinet. I wanted to disassemble it so I could sand and paint it. I have it on the floor on its back, and I've taken out most of the bolts, but it doesn't seem to want to come apart. Are these not supposed to come apart? Is there something I'm missing?

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:39:33 am
Re: Taito cabinet disassembly -- how do I do it (or should I)?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 05:06:21 pm »
Knievel claims they come apart in THIS thread.  I sure hope so - I picked one up a few weeks ago and I'm hoping to do something similar to it...  Maybe yours just needs a gentle tap with a mallet or something?

Triangel7D

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 05:59:49 pm »
Knievel claims they come apart in THIS thread.  I sure hope so - I picked one up a few weeks ago and I'm hoping to do something similar to it...  Maybe yours just needs a gentle tap with a mallet or something?

javeryh -- Hm. Why don't you tap yours with a mallet first and tell me how it turns out? Kidding. I've put so much time into this thing, I don't want to screw it up coming to the end. My problem is I'm pretty much doing this solo and it's nearly impossible to move the thing from my basement (with thin 1920's doors and a raised stone threshold) to my garage by myself.

Thanks for the pointing that thread out. I looked through the first page, but didn't see the comments at the end. It looks like knievel was able to take out the front, but there's no evidence he took out the sides. Looking at the one I had, the 45-degree wood things in the inside corner edges may be glued like scotthh mentioned.

I'm now wondering if it's worth replacing some of my bolts with flathead screws like knievel did. I'm not going to try laminate, but at least I don't have to design my sideart around bolts anymore.

Triangel7D

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 06:13:26 pm »
Okay, I was tempted -- I did a little tapping, and that sucker is SOLID. I'm thinking Knievel's were so beat up that they came apart. He did say this here:

Yea I did it after I took all the bolts out of the cabinet. It was so loose I could seperate the sides enough to slip it out. Here's a before/after shot..

That's not happening with mine. Mine looks to be in much better condition, so maybe all the glue and staples are still intact. javeryh -- what is your cabinet's condition?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 06:49:24 pm »
My cabinet is pretty beat up but I haven't done anything to it so I don't know how easy or hard it will be to take apart.  If you haven't sanded or painted yet what's the worst thing that could happen with a nice swing of the rubber mallet?   >:D  If you put a dent in it on the inside you could always bondo it out.  Also, if all you want to so is sand and paint it should be relatively easy to do even with the cabinet together (that's how most people do it!).

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 07:02:19 pm »
I would assume cabinet pieces are heavily glued together as well as the bolts, screws and staples, so you risk damaging things. Plenty of us have refinished full cabinets without taking them apart.
NO MORE!!

Triangel7D

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 07:20:33 pm »
Thanks guys. It's decided -- not taking it apart. Don't want to risk it. I don't have a 1/10th of knievel's skills (my friend who is a fine furniture maker helped me with my CP), so I don't want to risk it.

It's also nice to know the whole thing will hold together while all the bolts are removed, so I can strip the paint off of them and spray paint the heads.

javeryh -- tell me what you do with yours in the end.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:22:26 pm by Triangel7D »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 07:50:26 pm »
Good luck.  It's going to be a while for me.  I have 2 other projects I have to finish before I even touch the Taito.