Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mario Bros. Cabinet Clarifications  (Read 2618 times)

Sectorseven

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2017, 02:34:50 pm
Mario Bros. Cabinet Clarifications
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:10:22 am »
Hello all. This is my first post, but I've been reading for some time.

I'm planning on building a (slim) Mario Bros. MAME cabinet, and I've seen a few that have been done on here, but I'm not entirely certain about some of the original/reproduction parts used on theirs.

I want it to look as much like an original as possible, but the reproduction parts are quite pricey, so I want to get away with only what's absolutely necessary. Therefore, I've made a list of parts and I was wondering if you guys who are familiar with these cabinets could tell me what I can get away with and substitute. I don't intend to buy all the parts at once, but I'd like to get an idea of what I'm going to need.

Sorry if these are noob questions.

Monitor
I have a 17" computer monitor which I plan on using. I was thinking about taking off the front bezel and replacing it with some type of black cardboard, could someone tell me how the original Mario monitor was angled, and if that angle can be replicated with a computer monitor?

Nintendo Monitor upper support bar / Nintendo Monitor lower mount- Doubt I'll need these with a computer monitor, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Marquee / Bezel
Nintendo Marquee Top Bracket - Pretty sure I need this.

Nintendo Lower Marquee / Top Bezel Bracket - This holds in both the lower part of the marquee and the top part of the bezel, or do I need to get two of them?

Nintendo Bezel Art Retainer - Is this totally necessary, and since no one is likely to see it, what could I replace it with?

Are there no bezel retainers for the sides and bottom?

Sound
Speaker 6 inch - Can I connect this directly to a PC motherboard integrated sound card, or will I need a special amplifier or subwoofer? I assume I'll have to wire some type of headphone jack style connection from the speaker to the PC.

Control Panel
There seems to be a variety of Mario cabinets, some with wood panels and some with metal. I will in all likelihood be creating a wood panel.

Nintendo Reproduction 4-way Joystick w/ 30mm ball top - Since I want to play other older one button titles, can I get away with something like the Sanwa JLW (as far as aesthetics go), and will it mount properly to the Mario style wood panel, or do I have to buy that special adapter?

Nintendo Orange Button with Pal Nut - Did Mario use the "long" leaf buttons or the "short?" What buttons could substitute?

Nintendo Button holder - For the leaf switches.

Nintendo Microswitch - Attaches to the holder.

Nintendo Control Panel Retainer - Will a regular hinge suffice?

Nintendo CP Strike Set - If I'm not mistaken, this is used to "lock" the control panel down, but I can probably use regular hinges or something makeshift.

Screws
I Haven't looked into this because it didn't seem like a big issue, but can all the control panel and bezel/marquee screws be obtained at a local hardware store, or is there something I'm going to have to order special online?

Wheels
Are the back two casters stationary or swivel?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I think this is getting kind of long. Sorry if this stuff has already been answered elsewhere.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

nintendoid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2024, 03:49:20 pm
    • Nintendoid
Re: Mario Bros. Cabinet Clarifications
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:28:21 am »
did you get any results from your research??
How is the build going??

Sectorseven

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2017, 02:34:50 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 05:17:52 pm »
I've gathered some of the info, but ultimately a lot of this stuff can be accomplished with a little creativity. Haven't actually started to build yet, still trying to learn as much as I can so I don't get in over my head.

nintendoid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2024, 03:49:20 pm
    • Nintendoid
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 05:55:44 pm »
where abouts are you based???.. just saw in your profile :) shame your in the US as parts are alot easier for you to source being in the USA  :banghead:

well if I can help with anything let me know... 2 people lookign for information may be alot quicker than just one :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:58:07 pm by nintendoid »