Main Woodworking Reviews Software Monitor/Video Maximus Arcade
Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Project Announcements Artwork Consoles Buy/Sell/Trade Meet Up
Arcade Miscellaneous Everything Else Politics n Religion Forum Discussion Wiki Discussion GroovyMAME
DOS/WinCab Merit/JVL Touchscreen Automated Projects Driving & Racing Project Arcade Old Boards
Linux Restorations Pinball MaLa Frontend controls.dat Old Archives
Retail Vendors Raspberry Pi & Dev Board

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Arcade | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS

Poll

What Front End are you using?

AdvanceMenu
13 (1%)
ArcadeOS
7 (0.5%)
ArcadEpic
0 (0%)
AtomicFE
44 (3.4%)
CabFE
0 (0%)
Command Line
0 (0%)
Dragon King
1 (0.1%)
EmuLaunch
5 (0.4%)
Emulaxian/3D Arcade
11 (0.8%)
Fronty
2 (0.2%)
GameEx
140 (10.7%)
GameLauncher
14 (1.1%)
HyperSpin
480 (36.6%)
Khameleon
1 (0.1%)
Kymaera
0 (0%)
MaLa
246 (18.8%)
MAMELOAD TNG
2 (0.2%)
MAMEUI
28 (2.1%)
Mamewah
95 (7.3%)
Maximus Arcade
169 (12.9%)
MultiFE
2 (0.2%)
PyreCade
1 (0.1%)
UltraMame
2 (0.2%)
Ultrastyle
2 (0.2%)
Wah!Cade
15 (1.1%)
XMAME-GUI
0 (0%)
Angry Bee
1 (0.1%)
Simple Touch Front End
2 (0.2%)
mGalaxy
10 (0.8%)
Big Blue
0 (0%)
Attract-Mode
13 (1%)
HTML5 FE
1 (0.1%)
Inertia
1 (0.1%)
Emuloader
0 (0%)
QMC2
1 (0.1%)
FEEL
1 (0.1%)

Total Members Voted: 1299

Author Topic: Favorite Front End  (Read 97679 times)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
Re: Favorite Front End
« Reply #360 on: February 24, 2015, 09:44:28 am »
I played a little with Attract Mode last night and am very impressed so far.  It is pretty easy to configure and I like that I can use a text editor to make changes and setup emulators.
My son was the 2014 BYOAC Fantasy Football Champion

Tron Legacy

Pac Man Cocktail on a budget

tkersting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #361 on: February 24, 2015, 10:33:41 pm »
MaLa. Using it on a old penguin 4 and it runs fine.

Garetmax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #362 on: February 28, 2015, 01:26:40 pm »
Voting for GameEx :)

tthurman

• Offline Offline
  • Finally building my MAME pedestal
« Reply #363 on: March 01, 2015, 07:10:34 pm »
Cast my vote for GameEx as well.

stevodevo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #364 on: March 02, 2015, 08:33:22 am »
Cool thread... I built my arcade back in 2004 but only really 'finished' a few years ago...

Mamewah all the way.  Not sure but I think it was the new kid on the block when I was building and had all the hype.  I've never heard of most of these but maybe I'll give them a try someday.  My only gripe with Mamewah is that it relies on a ton of config files that can get a bit tricky to manipulate and upgrading to new versions is a bear.

My 7 yo uses it regularly so no problem with it being kid friendly.  Thanks Minwah!

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #365 on: March 03, 2015, 12:28:47 pm »
Cool thread... I built my arcade back in 2004 but only really 'finished' a few years ago...

Mamewah all the way.  Not sure but I think it was the new kid on the block when I was building and had all the hype.  I've never heard of most of these but maybe I'll give them a try someday.  My only gripe with Mamewah is that it relies on a ton of config files that can get a bit tricky to manipulate and upgrading to new versions is a bear.

My 7 yo uses it regularly so no problem with it being kid friendly.  Thanks Minwah!

No problem, glad you are still happily using it!  :)

It certainly doesn't have the bells and whistles that some of the newer FE's have, but that doesn't bother me too much. I always run my cabinets at 15khz on CRT's (384x288 in frontend max) and am quite happy to have a simple layout so it works well.

I am currently working on a computer / console emulator system so have been configuring several emulators (7 consoles and 6 or 7 computers) so can feel your pain on the configuration side of things!

zabrin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #366 on: April 26, 2015, 04:31:32 pm »
I am going to have to say GameEx. I just find it so easy to use and setup. It is now the only FE I use. I like the Steam integration which is why I switched from Hyperspin.

Just my .02...

Z.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago 20.13
« Reply #367 on: April 27, 2015, 07:08:12 pm »
Shouting out GameEx too. Depends what you want, I suppose. GameEx is great for a beginner and once you get into it - you can get more advanced with it too - using supplemental scripts etc. What attracted me to it when picking my first front end was how customizable it is. That's ultimately what put me off hyperspin - all the videos/demos of it looked mainly the same - flashy but generic.

Again, before being shot down - depends on what you want. Kinda view Hyperspin as the Apple of Frontends - you get an attractive looking end product that's universally recognized. GameEx, on the other hand, allows you to tinker a great deal. Also, very regulalry updated + dedicated team around it. I'd recommend it especially to people who know they are going to end up wanting to take it apart, see how it works and mod it to how they want it to look.

Haven't used the others - so dunno about them! (oh, apart from tinkering with that 3D arcade FE ages+ages ago - that was pretty funky).

tma

• Offline Offline
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #368 on: May 12, 2015, 06:38:53 am »
Yay! HyperSpin
Took a bit to figure out but well worth the effort.   :applaud:

thomas

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #369 on: July 15, 2015, 06:08:04 am »
I would have voted Hyperspin, I do indeed like it alot. I did a custom compile of mame for it a couple years ago and installed it on my son's laptop and he just loved it. I actually haven't gotten around to trying the newest version of it yet but I have downloaded it to play around with it.

But anyways... I voted Atomic FE. I kind of like the way the Atomic Studio lets you configure things to your liking. I tried a couple of the other ones, but they seemed to just give me a headache for the most part.. Perhaps I'll go back and give them another look. I do see there are ALOT of FE's listed, many that I have not even heard of, so I will for sure look into some of these other ones. But, I've already put alot of effort into how I have configured Atomic FE so far, so I really don't see myself scraping that project to take on a whole new one for the cabinet I am in the process of building.. What's funny, is back in the day (Windows 98), my 2 fav's would have been ArcadeOS, and Tim Eckel's Arcade@Home.

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #370 on: July 17, 2015, 07:00:50 am »
I, of course, vote for FEEL, even if it's not in the list ;D
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"

F.E.E.L. - FrontEnd (Emulator Launcher) development & support
http://feelfrontend.altervista.org

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #371 on: July 17, 2015, 07:53:27 am »
Finally, if someone points out that a FE hasn't been included, it can then be added to the Wiki.  In the words of Michael Scott, win-win-win.

Let me know if another FE needs added. 

I, of course, vote for FEEL, even if it's not in the list ;D
Poll updated.  I've not been active on the Boards in a few months but if someone would have sent me a PM, I could have updated the OP before now.   ::)
2014 NFL Pick Em Runner Up!

First off, Hoopz is right.

dr.prodigy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #372 on: July 17, 2015, 01:21:06 pm »
Hi Hoopz, thank you very much, as a voter and of course as FEEL developer ;)
You've been really fast, even if I didnt follow the "official procedures" (sorry for this!)..
Thank you!
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"

F.E.E.L. - FrontEnd (Emulator Launcher) development & support
http://feelfrontend.altervista.org

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #373 on: July 20, 2015, 06:59:39 am »
Poll updated.  I've not been active on the Boards in a few months but if someone would have sent me a PM, I could have updated the OP before now.   ::)

FEEL was announced to the public here on the forum almost exactly one month ago. A few months ago we didn't know about FEEL. It's a good addition to the list. I love new development.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30